Wellbeing discussion - checking in with each other during the second wave of coronavirus

Alice nun

Jul 9, 2017
Maybe I have not put in the right place,
But I’ve just received a system called alcove.
It is being given to people in Essex and I think London and Kent and maybe other councils.
It is like an iPad which is already set up with free internet. This is a marvellous way of keeping in touch. All your family and friends carers are added by a call centre and they can call you or you them and see eachother at the same time. There is also other things you can use it for like coffee mornings a chat group. I don’t no if anyone has seen this. I searched on the forum but could find any mention of it. I thought I’d let you no so maybe you could look into it and hopefully be given one, or your love one.There lots of other contacts on the pad for help etc. I hope this may help some of you. Www.youralcove.com
?

Alice nun

Jul 9, 2017
Just to add I have just looked at the webpage
And it can be bought but it is being given free of charge from some councils I’m in Essex area and mine was free and with free internet access. Hopefully other councils are offering these systems. ?

Weasell

Oct 21, 2019
Ooh look @Weasell . New tech!
Thank you for the tip off!
A very interesting post.
Such useful information!
Sadly my mother would most likely only use it as a tray to carry her cup of coffee on, if she used it at all ! But for others it could be wonderful.

Alice nun

Jul 9, 2017
No same my husband couldn’t use the system, but many people could and will.
Especially in lock down again family can see and speak to eachother . I can not recommend it enough and hope that all council will offer these Alice

Weasell

Oct 21, 2019
No same my husband couldn’t use the system, but many people could and will.
Especially in lock down again family can see and speak to eachother . I can not recommend it enough and hope that all council will offer these Alice
The other kit that they had on the web site looked good too!
I didn’t like the web site - but great products!

lemonbalm

May 21, 2018
The other kit that they had on the web site looked good too!
I didn’t like the web site - but great products!

I liked the look of the garden lodges. I'm beginning to wish I'd had children. Preferably children with huge gardens.

nae sporran

Oct 29, 2014
Bristol
I got all the way to the checkout at a Tesco petrol station before I realised I didn't have a mask on. That was after a relaxing walk in the country, so all the worry is tiring me out already and it's only day one of part two. Thankfully, the checkout operator was fine with it and they are protected behind perspex.

granny shoe

Jul 14, 2020
I'm pretty desperate and have had to increase my dose of antidepressants. My husband's care home has locked down again to visits even though they have a floor to ceiling screen and so are Covid secure. Also the home is in one of the lowest 10% of areas in the country for new cases of Covid . My husband's social worker has tried to advocate for opening up the home and I've written to the Director of Public health about the situation. Other homes in the area are open to Covid secure visits and I'm thinking of moving my husband. Friends around the country have been sending me good examples of homes that are facilitating visits. There is such huge variability in what homes are doing. The variability bears no relationship to the local Covid prevalence. How can the Government allow this care lottery to go on?

PMM1485

Dec 16, 2018
I feel awful, especially heading into Christmas. Mum went into a home four months ago. I had been looking after her previously since the beginning of lockdown. When she left she was relatively self aware and looked neat and well- dressed as she liked to be. Almost as soon as she went into the home her mental health deteriorated rapidly. A constant series of infections have left her a shell of who she was. She is screaming, has lost a stone in weight, and the few times I have seen her on Whats App she just gaunt and dishevelled. The home is good but she is fighting them all the way. We haven't be allowed any visits since the beginning of September. I can't help but think she is worse because of no contact. She must feel so lost and abandoned and I feel absolutely wretched, the guilt is almost intolerable. It feels like we are just waiting for her to die rather than enjoying any precious last moment. What's worse is that I don't see any change or help on the horizon. The few calls I have are always in a crowded room when people are shouting and mum is distracted. I yearn to hug her and hate to think of her ending her days like this, and constantly berate myself for giving her up to it. Horrible to feel you are almost waiting for an end of life call as the only chance to hold your loved ones hand.

lemonbalm

May 21, 2018
I'm sorry to hear this @PMM1485 . It is truly heart rending to hear someone you love in such distress. I have heard it often with my own mum. I should add that she was also doing this when I was visiting and there were days when I could hear her as soon as I got out of the car. Is the care home doing anything to help with this? I know it doesn't help the visiting issue but I would ask for an urgent review of medication. This really can help with anxiety and agitation. A low dose anti anxiety medication (I often recommend Mirtazapine because I know it has worked very well for several people with dementia and agitation). I don't have an answer for the visiting restrictions, although I feel the only way we are going to be able to have meaningful visits is rapid results tests at the door.

Sue Edwards

Sep 24, 2020
I feel as though I’m entering a dark tunnel.
My husband has deteriorated significantly since the first wave of COVID. Then, he could come with me on walks, was able to attend day care ( before it closed ) , enjoyed his food and was able to manage some of his personal care. Now he is incontinent, unsteady on his feet, no longer able to attend day care because of his erratic volatile behaviour and needs feeding, dressing and twenty four/seven care. I can’t put him in residential care because of COVID restrictions, and concerns.
It’s going to be a considerable challenge to maintain my sanity, health and well-being. and to keep him safe.
I know what you mean. I'm in the same position. When we were interacting with support groups and meeting friends and family he was so much more amenable. Now he is anxious all the time says he is imprisoned and talks nonstop rubbish all the time. He has no interest in anything, needs constant care and generally is driving me mad. I have no life all I do is eat, clean and try to fend off his constant chatter. Can't even watch TV. This complaint effects both of us. His dementia is so much worse and he rarely knows who I am.

nae sporran

Oct 29, 2014
Bristol
I know what you mean. I'm in the same position. When we were interacting with support groups and meeting friends and family he was so much more amenable. Now he is anxious all the time says he is imprisoned and talks nonstop rubbish all the time. He has no interest in anything, needs constant care and generally is driving me mad. I have no life all I do is eat, clean and try to fend off his constant chatter. Can't even watch TV. This complaint effects both of us. His dementia is so much worse and he rarely knows who I am.
Welcome to DTP, Sue. The past 8 months without support groups have been so hard on us all I think, but I hope you find some comfort in being among others who can support you through it. Dementia Connect are a good source of support and advice alongside what you can get here and someone there should be able to point you towards any support available during this period. https://www.alzheimers.org.uk/dementia-connect-support-line
Good luck and keep in touch now you have introduced yourself.