Wellbeing discussion - checking in with each other during the second wave of coronavirus

Kellyr

Aug 8, 2020
All the hard work of rights for residents and many others has effectively been squashed. More horrible weeks and months of not seeing our loved ones. ?

Last edited by a moderator:

Melles Belles

Jul 4, 2017
South east
He can’t even do his briefing on time.
Well, we don’t need to see it as they’ve leaked it all to the media already even the end date

Melles Belles

Jul 4, 2017
South east
Apparently the govt are trying to find out who is leaking all this. Well the leaking been happening for weeks. And so much detail too. Worrying or not?

Palerider

Aug 9, 2015
North West
I don't know about anyone else's thoughts but I am not convinced SAGE are being truly transparent, so today I have been looking at the prediction by SAGE and some very factual opposing evidence with a disparity in the figures. We have to remember at the end of the day this is a natural event, it isn't human made and therefore not humanly possible to control it in the way we would like to think we can. I'll post it on my own thread when I have fully considered the facts as they stand as here would not be appropriate.

nae sporran

Oct 29, 2014
Bristol
It's a stressful time for everyone and the uncertainty is not helping. From what I see in restaurants and supermarkets around Bristol and N Somerset I'm not surprised the virus is spreading. Of course, keeping C in the flat and not letting her out one day a week has it's own problems. Yesterday's lunch out was hard and today's shopping trip was harder.
If you are shielding or concerned contact your local council. Social Services put us in touch with a local charity in March who do the mid week top up grocery run and I'm glad we never cancelled it over the summer. I'm going to increase that and only go out on Friday for a top up.

jennifer1967

Mar 15, 2020
Southampton
well there wee have it. lockdown starts thursday. not shielding but extremely vulnerable minimise contact and not go to work. i thank goodness that my son came down yesterday to see us. hes a teacher so will continue working with his wife

nitram

Apr 6, 2011
Bury
They keep on advising people who previously shielded to take extra care, this is actually the same as last time, I think some shielders took the previous advice to be an order and scared themselves.

Palerider

Aug 9, 2015
North West
I don't know if anyone saw the interview with Prof Sunetra Gupta (Oxford University) she advised that sheilding is important for those who fall into high risk groups

Always stresse

Sep 4, 2019
Omg I’m struggling so much like many others not being able to see my mum in care home I’ve joined the Rights to Residents group firing off letters to government to allow us to see our loved ones it makes me feel a bit better doing something rather than feeling powerless.
I’m having difficulty communicating with mum due to her hearing problem after a conversation with the regional manager they say if they arrange hearing appt I could take her but she would have to self isolate on her return I think this is very cruel to isolate her with dementia which brings me on to say why can’t she come and stay with me over Christmas then self isolate at least it would be a nice break for her and we can see her. Boris says we should have 15 min tests soon why can’t care Homes have access to them.

Nightshade01

Nov 24, 2019
I am having a stressful time at home with my Mother. I just found a heap load of food crumbs that have been hidden under my uncle's armchair for the past few months. He has just been taking into care 2 months ago. Now I am gtting rats coming into the house and chewing the floorboards and the rest of my nieghbours are getting them. So I had to call the pest control. I can't always get on with my Mum. She has had her bloods taken because she is confused and forgettful. Sometimes she has aggresive outbursts at me screaming and shouting. And she is blaming me for my moods. I'm feeling angry with her over it at the moment. And she is telling me of for being annoyed at her. My uncle was like this with me and now my mum is getting the same behaviour. I can't get my own house now because of this lockdown at the moment.

Sophie20

Jul 5, 2020
The stress of not being able to see my Mum in her carehome is horrendous and is cumulative I know my mental and physical health is suffering. Its an unsustainable situation for many people. We've got to a situation where 'care'homes are showing no empathy or compassion and are keeping people apart to an extreme degree all in the name of Government guidelines which in many cases are not even logical. We will look back in times to come and wonder how this was ever allowed to happen..

I so agree with this - my Mum should’ve been coming home last week but unfortunately tested positive. Thankfully she has shown no symptoms and her 14 days isolation is up on Wednesday. BUT there are doubts that carers will be allowed to come in or the private ambulance will be able to pick her up without a negative test result (she can’t have another test for 90 days due to possibility of a false positive ?‍♀️) we’ve not seen her for 5 weeks due to local restrictions and the outbreak in the care home - she also doesn’t want any video calls because she gets upset when she sees herself on the screen.
I’m not sure I’m going to remain calm if I’m told it can’t happen tomorrow (social worker is checking) I’m at the point when I’ll get private care in place and just go and get her myself and risk the fallout!
Apparently the home think the outbreak is linked to patients receiving phone calls - so for all the shielding/social distancing measures that we’ve adhered to, it feels like we’ve still managed to pass it on to her by phoning everyday!!! Just want to see my Mum and get her home - even if it doesn’t work out ultimately, at least we’d have tried.
The world just doesn’t make any sense to me at the moment.......

Greyone

Sep 11, 2013
UK
Hi everyone,

As we’ve entered the second wave, some of you are facing new coronavirus restrictions, and many of you still unable to visit loved ones in care homes. We wanted to take the opportunity to check in with all our members - old and new - to ask, how are you?

As the Coronavirus COVID-19 pandemic continues, this is a difficult time for many of you to be dealing with the realities of dementia along with the added complications of keeping track of changing guidelines to stay safe and well.

Please use this space to ask and answer questions about wellbeing, share practical advice with other community members, and let us know how you're really doing. This way you can share your emotions and advice with others who understand and have lived experience to share.
Hopefully our knowledge is greater and the challenge lesser so i am more hopeful if we all stick together.

Kellyr

Aug 8, 2020
I so agree with this - my Mum should’ve been coming home last week but unfortunately tested positive. Thankfully she has shown no symptoms and her 14 days isolation is up on Wednesday. BUT there are doubts that carers will be allowed to come in or the private ambulance will be able to pick her up without a negative test result (she can’t have another test for 90 days due to possibility of a false positive ?‍♀️) we’ve not seen her for 5 weeks due to local restrictions and the outbreak in the care home - she also doesn’t want any video calls because she gets upset when she sees herself on the screen.
I’m not sure I’m going to remain calm if I’m told it can’t happen tomorrow (social worker is checking) I’m at the point when I’ll get private care in place and just go and get her myself and risk the fallout!
Apparently the home think the outbreak is linked to patients receiving phone calls - so for all the shielding/social distancing measures that we’ve adhered to, it feels like we’ve still managed to pass it on to her by phoning everyday!!! Just want to see my Mum and get her home - even if it doesn’t work out ultimately, at least we’d have tried.
The world just doesn’t make any sense to me at the moment.......
Really feel for you, it just gets worse and who would think we would be back to square one after 7 months. Its all ridiculous! Take care and good luck..

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
ArthurPOA