Well,the day has come....

TNJJ

May 7, 2019
cornwall
Arrived at dad’s this morning thinking he had an appointment at the hospital.It is next Tuesday not today. I had to cancel the taxi and rebook it for next week. I had written it correctly on the calendar but not on my phone.. What an idiot! Aw well. Such is life.
I cooked dad his lunch and then assisted him to the dining room with his frame.
The trouble is he then wanted the toilet so that was a palaver to get him into the Sara Steady. He had got caught short so good job he had Tena pants on. Getting the Sara Steady into the bathroom is a performance in itself as it is just big enough to swing a cat.Managed it though but next time I’m going to use the wheeled commode. But I know what dad will say(I’m 56 and still hate dad shouting at me).Cleaned him up and he is now in the wheelchair in the conservatory.
This is the 2nd time this week that he has appeared tired and yawning non stop.He is struggling sometimes to pull himself up so I think it will be time for reassessment on his incontinence. His incontinence is increasing so it’s time for a chat to the nurse. He only seems to have bad days whilst I’m here . But I think that is because I’m family.

TNJJ

May 7, 2019
cornwall
To add to my monologue undressing dad he is constantly coughing. I can hear the fluid in his lungs. His legs are now having indentations left by the socks. So he is obviously retaining water. His walking is declining more now, especially at night.

Duggies-girl

Sep 6, 2017
To add to my monologue undressing dad he is constantly coughing. I can hear the fluid in his lungs. His legs are now having indentations left by the socks. So he is obviously retaining water. His walking is declining more now, especially at night.

@TNJJ I found the physical changes to dad very difficult to deal with. He shrank visibly in height, perhaps it was after he started using his frame because he was so bent and his legs were like sticks. I don't know how they held him up in end but they did.

His fingers felt like paper when I cut his fingernails. It is so sad to watch, his walking declined in the end and it became an effort for him to get out of his chair. He used to shuffle out to the bathroom on his own and I was scared he would fall although he never did. He was happy though so I can't moan.

Dad used to cough whenever he ate anything because he smothered his food with salt and pepper but wouldn't think of taking a sip of his drink unless I reminded him all the time. In the end I took his salt and pepper away and I would put a bit on his food for him. In hindsight I don't think he could see how much he was using.

It is such a sad thing to deal with and all I can say is that I hope things get easier for you. Wishing you strength and lots of humour. Dad was very witty which helped. I miss his quick quips.

TNJJ

May 7, 2019
cornwall
@TNJJ I found the physical changes to dad very difficult to deal with. He shrank visibly in height, perhaps it was after he started using his frame because he was so bent and his legs were like sticks. I don't know how they held him up in end but they did.

His fingers felt like paper when I cut his fingernails. It is so sad to watch, his walking declined in the end and it became an effort for him to get out of his chair. He used to shuffle out to the bathroom on his own and I was scared he would fall although he never did. He was happy though so I can't moan.

Dad used to cough whenever he ate anything because he smothered his food with salt and pepper but wouldn't think of taking a sip of his drink unless I reminded him all the time. In the end I took his salt and pepper away and I would put a bit on his food for him. In hindsight I don't think he could see how much he was using.

It is such a sad thing to deal with and all I can say is that I hope things get easier for you. Wishing you strength and lots of humour. Dad was very witty which helped. I miss his quick quips.
Hi@duggies -girl..
Dad used to be 6ft 1 but as he is curled over ,a bit like a sugar cane. I would say he is about 5”10 now. He has lost weight but is not thin. I have to constantly prompt him to drink but never worry about eating.Now with the incontinence that is something else.. I have had a good day but I’m exhausted!

Duggies-girl

Sep 6, 2017
@TNJJ Dad used to be 6 ft but he appeared to be shorter than me in the end and I am 5 ft 7 He probably wasn't as short as he appeared but his stoop made it seem worse. He was 12 and a half stone all of his life but I stopped weighing him when he got to 8 and a half stone. Truly awful to watch but he didn't have a clue so maybe it is worse for us that do have to watch.

Dad stayed continent until the end which I am forever thankful for.

Glad you had a good day and hope tomorrow is better.