Well, that's a relief... (just off-loading)

starryuk

Nov 8, 2012
I got the 'your mum's had a fall' call this afternoon...just as I was going out the door to my favourite weekly bridge class.

Paramedics were taking mum to A and E so I met them there. You all know what it's like, the fear, the racing heart...me, not mum!

No, when I got there, she was sitting in a wheel chair, looking very chirpy. Phew!!!
Turns out she was heading up the stairs to her room, with a plate of crisps. She tripped. So she has a horrendous 4 inch gash on her wrist. I heard a doctor mention 'down to the muscle'. YUK. I am squeamish. Caught sight of it by mistake, then sat there for the rest of the procedure ( giant steristrips) with my eyes shut. Mum didn't turn a hair.

Anyway, A and E was brilliant! I told the staff Mum had dementia and I was going to find it difficult to keep her in the chair for long and we were out of there in less than 2 hours!

So... many thanks to them and the member of CH staff who managed to (yuk) pull the flap of skin back over the wound. I am relieved.

Now let's hope it will heal without becoming infected. The district nurse will be going in to keep an eye on it anyway.

Thanks for 'listening', I am just so relieved.

PS: I have yet to work out how she managed to get to the stairs, when she always uses the lift!

Shash7677

Sep 15, 2012
Nuneaton, warwickshire
Hi Starry,

Sorry to hear your mum had a fall but I'm glad that she wasn't too hurt. I must say I did put my hand to my mouth when I read of her injury and I'm not squeamish!!! Sounds very nasty and yes, well done to the person from the CH.

Take care,

Sharon

chris53

Nov 9, 2009
London
Starry, I wonder at times how we ever sleep, if all ok then we worry what is coming next, if all "seems ok" then mega worry, and then there is the endless waiting for the phone to ring situation:eek: if dementia was not in the mix I think sometimes we would just take it on the chin, but we can (maybe this inner voice speaks) wonder if all is really scary or not, carers and care homes may contact us when a few minutes for them not to seem to panic and just take control of the facts rather then a knee jerk "panic" phone call, would really be helpful, but so pleased your mum seems so easy to accept medical help and the people that were helping her did go the "extra mile" let hope she is in good physical health soon, do keep us updated, take care and sending a hug- Chris x

kingmidas1962

Jun 10, 2012
South Gloucs
My dads care home literally just rang me to say he's had a fall - nothing serious but they always let me know. My heart was in my mouth like always!

So glad your mum coped well and gold star for A&E too! If only it was always like that!

Hope all progresses well xxxx

starryuk

Nov 8, 2012
My heart was in my mouth like always!

It's horrible, isn't it. I have had no dramas for several months now and was just beginning to relax a bit!!

Do hope your dad wasn't too troubled by his fall.

xx