Well that was traumatic

Discussion in 'I have a partner with dementia' started by Jean1234, Jan 13, 2016.

1. Jean1234

Jean1234 Registered User

Mar 19, 2015
    I had to go to the dentist and as there was no one to visit my OH I had to take him with me. I sat him in the waiting room with a paper when I went in but I was in there ages and by the time I got out he was very agitated. He'd asked the receptionist where I was and they had told him but the state he was in I can't chance that again. I am only glad that I didn't leave him at home on his own as I believe he would have been in an even worst state thinking I had gone off and left him.

2. marionq

marionq Registered User

Apr 24, 2013
    Female
    Scotland
    #2 marionq, Jan 13, 2016
    Last edited: Jan 13, 2016
    John came with me on Monday and sat in the surgery with me while I got a filling. The chat and activity kept him very quiet! Would that work for you?

3. nellbelles

nellbelles Volunteer Host

Nov 6, 2008
    leicester
    I used to take Tom in with me, the dentist knew us both and that way I avoided meltdown!

4. 1mindy

1mindy Registered User

Jul 21, 2015
    Female
    Shropshire
    Im just getting round taking my oh everywhere with me but he doesnt want to come. So some persuasion usually works. Then we get where ever and he wont get out of the car unless we go to the supermarket which he loves. All too stressful. So 9 times out of ten we come home not having achieved anything.

5. Scarlett123

Scarlett123 Registered User

Apr 30, 2013
    Essex
    As time went on, John came everywhere with me. Even to the loo. In time, I thought of his safety, in the same way you would with a toddler, and I wouldn't leave a toddler unattended.

When we went into the dentist/optician/doctor together, and it was my appointment, and he wasn't at a Day Centre, I'd tell him I'd like him to come in with me, as I needed him to hold my hand. ;)

6. Jean1234

Jean1234 Registered User

Mar 19, 2015
    That's a good one Scarlett making him feel he is supporting you. When I have to go back next week I shall follow your advice. Thank you.

7. Scarlett123

Scarlett123 Registered User

Apr 30, 2013
    Essex
    It's a pleasure - glad I could help. :) xxx