Welcome

fairy62

Aug 15, 2019
i just want to say I’ve found this forum so helpful . I only joined tonight and already had some helpful advice and have been able to reply to others .
I don’t know if other members do this but I’ve started writing everything down , for two reasons to hopefully help when I get an appointment for my husband to go to the memory clinic (even though he thinks I need to go ) and to help me record everything. Does anyone else do this ?

karaokePete

Jul 23, 2017
N Ireland
Hello @fairy62, and welcome to the forum.

Yes, keeping notes is a good idea as it helps with future appointments with the medics. I have always done this and I know that many others also do it.

Now that you have joined the forum I hope that you have time to take a good look around the site as it is a goldmine for information. When I first joined I read old threads for information but then found the AS Publications list and the page where a post code search can be done to check for support services in ones own area. If you are interested in these, clicking the following links will take you there

https://www.alzheimers.org.uk/get-support/publications-factsheets-full-list

https://www.alzheimers.org.uk/find-support-near-you

You will see that there are Factsheets that will help with things like getting care needs assessments, deciding the level of care required and sorting out useful things like Wills, Power of Attorney etc.

Now that you have found us I hope you will keep posting as the membership has vast collective knowledge and experience.

Linton

Jul 27, 2019
i just want to say I’ve found this forum so helpful . I only joined tonight and already had some helpful advice and have been able to reply to others .
I don’t know if other members do this but I’ve started writing everything down , for two reasons to hopefully help when I get an appointment for my husband to go to the memory clinic (even though he thinks I need to go ) and to help me record everything. Does anyone else do this ?

Linton

Jul 27, 2019
Hi.. I keep a diary, it helps me to get my feelings out when I can't always talk to family about my struggles.. It was more important before I found this forum.. but still do see how things change... Not always easy reading but it does show how much better I cope with help from others on here.. Xx

Izzy

Volunteer Moderator
Aug 31, 2003
Dundee
Hi @Linton and welcome to the forum.

I think keeping a record of his things is very important - whether it's in a diary or in a thread here on DTP or a mixture of both. I found that helped me when I needed to make a point to the memory clinic consultant or a GP etc. It is indeed hard reading it back but so useful.

I'm glad you've found this forum and know you'll get lots of help and support here.

Last edited:

nae sporran

Oct 29, 2014
Bristol
Welcome to the forums from me too, @fairy62. It's good to see you are finding helpful support and info already. I've started writing things down recently, it was an idea I got from someone on here actually. I hope your appointment at the memory clinic gets you answers you need. If your husband thinks it is for you at least he will go, though you may need to improvise on the day if he is in denial. That is sadly common with dementia.

fairy62

Aug 15, 2019
Hi.. I keep a diary, it helps me to get my feelings out when I can't always talk to family about my struggles.. It was more important before I found this forum.. but still do see how things change... Not always easy reading but it does show how much better I cope with help from others on here.. Xx
I write everything down that happens so I have it to hand for when we finally get the appointment for the memory clinic

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Max69