• We're currently experiencing technical issues with our newsletter software, so our Dementia Talking Point monthly updates have been put on hold for now. We hope to restart the newsletter soon.

Find out more >here<.

Welcome to Talking Point - introduce yourself here

Status
Not open for further replies.

mogumber

Nov 27, 2015
My father is 73 wtih Alzheimer's

Hi there, my father has Alzheimer's and we've all been hit for six! My mother is caring for him but she is alone in the country in Ireland. My sister and I live in the UK with our families and I feel totally helpless. My mum is terribly lonely. I'd like them to live near us but it's too expensive to buy. Anyway hoping that by joining this forum I can get as much information as possible so we can start making some plans.

Cat27

Volunteer Moderator
Feb 27, 2015
Merseyside
Hi there, my father has Alzheimer's and we've all been hit for six! My mother is caring for him but she is alone in the country in Ireland. My sister and I live in the UK with our families and I feel totally helpless. My mum is terribly lonely. I'd like them to live near us but it's too expensive to buy. Anyway hoping that by joining this forum I can get as much information as possible so we can start making some plans.
Welcome to TP :)

Do they have to buy? Renting may be an option to get them here?

Kevinl

Aug 24, 2013
Salford
Hi Mogumber, welcome to TP
It might be worth you starting a thread of your own about caring for someone in Ireland, I've had a quick look round and there doesn't seem to be too much on the subject. The regulations vary enough from England, Scotland, Wales and Northern Ireland that mush of the advice doesn't apply to all countries let alone the ROI which is a different country completely.
There's a lot of us on here and there must be plenty of other done it before so I'd make sure I put "caring for someone in Ireland in the title" it may help if you mention an area, the help my aunt got in Dublin may not be available in the mountains of Mourne as they sweep down to the sea.
Anything else is common to us all and knows no international borders, distance caring, the emotions that AZ can bring to a family, finance and sometime the utter feeling of helplessness are universal. Is it possible you could get your mum to join the site at least then we could give her some support.
K

Badrock

Nov 27, 2015
Hi

My mum was diagnosed last year and is in the early stages. She's doing really well and still coping with daily living but her shot term memory is very bad. She lives with my dad, who also has a slow progressing illness which is getting worse. My dad has little patience for my mum's memory difficulties and although he is sympathetic, he is not very supportive and buried his head in the sand about both their illnesses.
My sister and I lived 2 and 5 hours away and we are worried about both of them. Dad is currently suffering with severe fatigue and we've come to see them to try and convince then to seek some support, but we don't know where to start!

Grannie G

Volunteer Moderator
Apr 3, 2006
Kent
To mogumber and Badrock

Welcome to Talking Point.

Now you have introduced yourselves please take Kevinl`s suggestion and start your own Thread.

To do so,

Click this link to see a list of our forums:

http://forum.alzheimers.org.uk/forum.php

Choose the most appropriate forum for you by clicking on the blue title. For both of you, the best sub forum would be `I care for a person with dementia`

http://forum.alzheimers.org.uk/forumdisplay.php?70-I-care-for-a-person-with-dementia

You can then click on the grey '+post new thread' button to start a new discussion.

i hope this helps.

Westhome

Dec 2, 2015
Early support for diagnosis

Hi everyone,

So sorry to hear people's struggles with their loved ones. Be the strength they have been for you and remember good times.

My story - my mother has what we are sure is some form of Dementia but she is so very scared to have a diagnosis that she completely refuses to go to the doctors for assessment. She becomes so angry and upset when it is discussed and shuts herself away. Without a diagnosis my father cannot receive any support and is unable to leave her for more than a brief trip to the shop.

Is there any service we can access to have someone come to the house and talk to them both and offer a home assessment?

Did anyone have a similar experience?

Thanks in advance for any guidance.

Cat27

Volunteer Moderator
Feb 27, 2015
Merseyside

The GP will be your first port of call. They will refer you to the Memory Clinic who can do home visits.

stanleypj

Dec 8, 2011
North West
Sometimes relatives of a person who, like your mum. will not seek medical advice of her own accord, see the doctor themselves and explain the situation. Some GPs will then ask the person to come in for a 'routine' check of one kind or another. This is certainly not an unusual problem though, and your mum's attitude is perhaps understandable.

Lolly747

Dec 7, 2015
Hi

Hi I am here because my lovely mom has Alzheimers and is now in secure care and also has copd and limited vision and mobility. My dad did his best at home and his health became too risky for mom to stay there. We are struggling a bit and need some extra support to find out how everyone else copes with the separation? Thank you L

ukelele lady

Apr 10, 2014
ukelele lady

Hi my mum in law has dementia .
Since 2008 I've been appealing against decisions not to award CHC funding (with success ) . Now she is more frail (with non healing stage 3 pressure ulcer she has lost her eligibility .
I've had lots of support from the Alzheimers Society .

Cat27

Volunteer Moderator
Feb 27, 2015
Merseyside
Hi I am here because my lovely mom has Alzheimers and is now in secure care and also has copd and limited vision and mobility. My dad did his best at home and his health became too risky for mom to stay there. We are struggling a bit and need some extra support to find out how everyone else copes with the separation? Thank you L
Have a read round of the threads & you'll find lots of tips.

Cat27

Volunteer Moderator
Feb 27, 2015
Merseyside

caroline30511

Oct 30, 2015
Bolton
Hi

Hi. I've recently joined TP to help me support families and people with dementia. I work within a care management team in social care and work with a lot of families and people with dementia. Many people struggle to understand why their loved one behaves the way they do and also often with the stresses of provideing 24 hour support. I want to be able to share my knowledge as well as get advice from other people that I can share with the families I work with.

haleyleveringto

Dec 8, 2015
my name is haley

my name is haley and I live with my dad he has lewy bodies dementia sadly I lost my mum this year and have gave up my job and became dads full time carer if anybody has any ideas on what I can do to keep him active I would be greatfull thank you

Cat27

Volunteer Moderator
Feb 27, 2015
Merseyside
my name is haley and I live with my dad he has lewy bodies dementia sadly I lost my mum this year and have gave up my job and became dads full time carer if anybody has any ideas on what I can do to keep him active I would be greatfull thank you

Have you considered a day centre or lunch club?

Samanthap

Account Closed
Nov 21, 2015
Heloo...

Hey, I am a new member here.... My brother is suffering from the disease that's why I joined the forums to get more and more information.

Thank You...

footlight

Dec 10, 2015
Hello

Hello Everyone,

My husband's father died suddenly whilst caring for his wife, and so, after thinking through all the options for her, we realised the best thing for her was to come and live with us two, as she can't live on her own anymore. Her life has been turned upside down, and she needs to feel she belongs, and get encouragement to keep as much independence as possible, while having our company and support. She has recently been diagnosed with Alzheimer's disease. We only have one main room downstairs, which is a big lounge diner, and so her bed will be in that room, as she can't manage stairs. It will be a big change for all of us. I'll be giving up my current job as a post lady to be her carer. We get on very well, and both enjoy a bit of art work and reading, etc. It's great to be part of this forum, and I'm sure we'll use it often. She has been staying in an assessment unit for the last few months so has got a bit institutionalised, so it will be good for her to be back in a home environment. She is coming to live with us next Friday.

Status
Not open for further replies.