Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.

Welcome to Talking Point - introduce yourself here

Discussion in 'Welcome and how to use Dementia Talking Point' started by KatherineW, Jul 22, 2013.

1. sue38

sue38 Registered User

Mar 6, 2007
    Wigan, Lancs
    Hi Lin and welcome to TP. Your English is excellent, so please don't let that stop you from posting. Yes, your experiences with professional services might be different in Germany, but I'm sure many of us would be keen to hear what support is available in Germany for people with dementia and their carers.

I'm glad that just reading the posts on TP has helped you so far, but I'm pleased you have decided to post and introduce yourself. I look forward to hearing more from you.

2. sisu

sisu Registered User

Nov 15, 2015
    Germany, Munich
    Hi Sue, Thanks for the welcome! :)

3. northen

northen Registered User

Nov 17, 2015
    Hello :)
    i help look after my granddad although he has not been diagnosed he failed his memory thing but is refusing to go for any more test etc. he is gradually getting worse but i would think he is early stages.
    im hoping to find help or advice on here,
    cheers,
    northern

4. Cat27

Cat27 Volunteer Moderator

Feb 27, 2015
    Merseyside
    Welcome to TP Northen:)

5. Braemar

Braemar Registered User

Nov 8, 2015
    Feel Like I am Going Mad

I am still waiting for an official diagnosis but my mum had another fall three months ago and spent 6 weeks in hospital. Since then life has been a nightmare. To start with my mum who is 83 was so confused and kept calling the lifeline and paramedics saying she shouldn't have come out of the hospital. She has been fixated on her toilet habits for about a year now and wears incontinence pants all the time and sits on a bed liner etc......she is on citalopram and zomorph but just this last week has really changed and accused me of taking everything from her demanding her credit cards back and all her finances............I could write an essay on the last year but the worse part is we are moving to Spain next year and mum is now holding this against me saying how will she cope.....but we have a great care package in place, I do all her shoping etc online and have done for over a year, we have PoA, she has become very clever at fooling people who pop in that she is fine and it's as if no one believes me as to what she is really like........finding the phone dead in her walker, a half eaten sandwich down the side of the chair, she never answers the phone to anyone anymore saying i is broken yet managed to phone the family solicitor accusing me of all sorts and then phoned me threatening if I didn't ive everything back she would call him, but she already had!!!!! then she started accusing me and my husband of taking everything of her ipad (not that she has eve been able to use it on her own!) and taking all her dementia paperwork....of which there isn't any as she hasn't officially been diagnosed yet........she even turned on her grandson yesterday and he was so upset.....I feel so guilty at times for going abroad but if I stayed I would go mad I just cant cope and want my mum back!!!!! I have just had a hip replacement as well and for the past 10 days she hasn't asked me once how I am which I also know is not my mum........there feel a little better for a rant but it won't change anything will it........

6. Cat27

Feb 27, 2015
    Merseyside
    Welcome to TP :)

Everything you've described is very common with dementia. Have a read & ask any questions.

7. t hall

t hall Registered User

Nov 22, 2015
    hello

Hi, I have just joined the forum today. My mum was diagnosed with alzeimers about two and a half years ago. She lives alone and has managed very well up until recently. I live close by so I'm always on hand when she needs me.
    This last week things have been pretty bad, she has been unable to understand how to take her medication, 3 doses a day. I was thinking about buying an electronic pill dispenser , though introducing something new might make matters worse.
    Has anyone had any experience of using these or any other tips that might help.
    Thanks
    Tracey

8. Cat27

Feb 27, 2015
    Merseyside

Could you get carers to come in 3 times a day to give her the medication?

9. Chrisw365

Chrisw365 Registered User

Nov 24, 2015
    Moral support

Hello all. I'm new here . thought I needed some moral support as both parents are on the blink. And its going to get much worse.

10. Cat27

Feb 27, 2015
    Merseyside
    You've come to the right place for moral support.

11. disease curious

disease curious Registered User

Nov 23, 2015
    question regarding patients thought process

A quick overview, then l have a question.
    My mother n law is in a home for Alzheimer's patients. she's in the advanced stage. Meaning, generally non-functional, I am curious as to what she thinks about while staring, not socializing at all. Albeit, she can talk, barely. she responds to questions, she smiles, she barely feeds herself. Food of course is puréed, but she feeds herself, with some support. She is in a wheelchair and requires assistance to get around.

Question: are there studies to help us better understand what or how she thinks or if she thinks of anything. She, and others in the home, basically sit and stare. Look at TV with no reaction. Some consistently talk to themselves. But, when I see a patient, sitting alone and staring at .....well nothing/space. Head hanging, some hanging their heads lower than others. My Mother in Law doesn't seem to hang her head as low as others.
    I have to wonder, and am curious, is she rethinking old memories? Thinking of what is going on around her, somewhat semi-alert? Or, is her surroundings "non existent"? No thoughts at all?
    I'd appreciate any input, Thank you.

12. Cat27

Feb 27, 2015
    Merseyside
    I don't have an answer but welcome to TP :)

13. Nigco

Nigco Registered User

Nov 25, 2015
    Hi

Hi our elderly father approaching 90 in January has been diagnosed with Alzheimers . He lives on his own still but things are becoming more and more difficult. He is in his normal bubble and has no understanding of his condition. But it is so difgicult for my sister and I. At times we feel so guilty he will not accept help becsuse he is convinced he is fine...but he isn't. SO SAD

14. Cat27

Feb 27, 2015
    Merseyside

My dad thinks he's fine too. It seems to be a common trait.

15. Radar53

Radar53 Registered User

I'm a new carer looking for someone to chat to!!

Hi there, I'm new to this and it was suggested that I sign up to 'talking point' as it's somewhere I can come to ask for help or just advice on something i'm struggling with to with my dad's dementia.
    I look forward to chatting here as I find it difficult to get to group sessions as I work full-time.
    Radar53

16. Cat27

Feb 27, 2015
    Merseyside
    You've found the right place for support & advice.

17. lighthouse68

lighthouse68 Registered User

Nov 26, 2015
    East Yorkshire
    New member - seeking advice on MCI - Mild Cognitive Impairment

Hello All

New member to this group.

My mum has recently been diagnosed with MCI, the doctors say there is no treatment for this. As a family we have no experience of dealing with any kind of dementia or memory loss. Any help or advice would be welcome please.

She is becoming very forgetful and confused, has lost conception of time with regards to cooking etc. She is very quiet and doesn't communicate very much or do many daily tasks she used to do. She has always been very intelligent and on the ball with life.

If anyone could help or let me know of any know help or support I would be very grateful, I'm struggling to know what to do to help my Mum and to help Dad and myself cope.

Many thanks

18. stanleypj

stanleypj Registered User

Dec 8, 2011
    North West
    Hello lighthouse. Welcome to TP.

You will find a lot of support and info here. For specific questions you could start your own threads here.

You could also benefit from chatting to an Admiral Nurse.

19. nanbery

nanbery Registered User

Nov 26, 2015
    #1919 nanbery, Nov 26, 2015
    Last edited: Nov 26, 2015
    Stressed out

I have terminal cancer and find life so difficult to cope with that and my husband's Alzheimers any advice would be welcome

20. Cat27

Feb 27, 2015
    Merseyside
    Welcome to TP nanbery :)

Do you have any help? Have you had a social services assessment?

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.