• All threads and posts regarding Coronavirus COVID-19 can now be found in our new area specifically for Coronavirus COVID-19 discussion.

You can access this area by going to the Health and wellbeing forum >here< or you can directly access the area >here<.

Welcome to Talking Point - introduce yourself here

Status
Not open for further replies.

Kazza B

Oct 26, 2015
Australia
My Dad has alzheimers

Hi my name is Kazza K, my dad has alzheimer's and I am his daughter/carer, we live together. We are now going to try to take Dad off most of his tablets, with the help of his Dr, we hope he agrees, we see him tomorrow. We want to try coconut oil and turmeric. He is mod to severe. We just want to try something. Any thing is better than just to sit and do nothing.

Thanks

Delmar

Oct 26, 2015
Derbyshire
Just joined, problem after anaesthetic.

My husband was diagnosed with Alzheimer's 4 years ago, he had to have anaesthetic in May and since then has been much worse, the consultant did warn us that this might happen, he also said it might get better during the 3 months following the operation, it hasn't, he has got verbally aggressive towards me and gets angry with me when I speak to him, has anyone experienced this problem with their loved ones and could they give me any advice on how to handle it.

Delmar

Oct 26, 2015
Derbyshire
Better today

My husband is better today after a good nights sleep, it certainly makes a difference to him to be home from hospital, it's a case of enjoy the good days.

Lost bluebird

Oct 6, 2015
Hi Delmar

I'm sorry your husband has deteriorated. My husband had dementia for sure but was continent could walk and feed himself but rapidly declined after changes in his medication. He was a very caring husband and I too found his change of personally difficult to accept. He became very aggressive and I sympathise with you totally. Do ask for help if you are finding it difficult to cope. Yes do make the best of the good days they are precious.
Take care

Sent from my iPhone using Talking Point

Quenby

Oct 30, 2015
Hello all

:) Hello everyone

I am a newly registered care home manager and I wanted to join this forum to stay up to date with current news/articles/discussions regarding Dementia and also to find out what those caring for loved ones with Dementia would like to see if their loved one is in a care home.

Christmas is fast approaching and I want to make it meaningful for my Residents who vary from mild to severe dementia (in various forms).

We have already started christmas focused activities, - card making, ornaments for our tree and items to sell at our table top sale on 4th December, but all ideas/comments welcome to ensure we make the most of this Season for those we care for.

I have organised a Christmas Party where we will have a running buffet of foods from the eras they were raised in (traditional dishes etc) with a school choir coming in to sing carols and then follow this up with old time music singalong - which I think is far better than noisy modern music.

We have mince pies to make and a christmas cake competition which we are entered into with our sister homes but we hope to win it.

I look forward to chatting with people here and to hearing ideas.

jenniferpa

Jun 27, 2006
Hi Quenby and welcome to TP

One thing I did want to mention with regard to your post is that while perhaps all your residents might be in their 80-90s, it's not uncommon for much younger people to have dementia, and the music of their youth may be "noisy modern music". :) You need to make it relevant to your audience age.

Horsman

Nov 2, 2015
Alzheimer's / vascular dementia

My dear old dad has this cruel disease I hate myself but I don't know him anymore he does things so out of character he is also become so aggressive he has become almost child like

Horsman

Nov 2, 2015
Angry

I feel so angry with this cruel disease it has stole my beloved dad away from me and my family

Charles310392

Nov 2, 2015
London
Introduction

Hi all,

My name is Charles and along with a couple of other family members I have been caring for both of my grandparents for a little while now. We're very lucky that there was space to accommodate them in our home so for the moment at least they live with us. I look forward to getting to know you all better and to supporting each other.

Charles

CeeJ

Nov 4, 2015
Alfreton
Just to introduce myself. I'm CeeJ from Alfreton in Derbyshire. My husband has just been diagnosed with early onset Alzheimers. Though it was expected it's still a shock now it's been diagnosed for real.

All his life he's looked after me and now it's my turn to care for him. I lost my mum with Alzheimers so know what the late stages are like. I'm acting strong but crying inside.

Trisha4

Jan 16, 2014
Yorkshire
Just to introduce myself. I'm CeeJ from Alfreton in Derbyshire. My husband has just been diagnosed with early onset Alzheimers. Though it was expected it's still a shock now it's been diagnosed for real.

All his life he's looked after me and now it's my turn to care for him. I lost my mum with Alzheimers so know what the late stages are like. I'm acting strong but crying inside.
Hi CeeJ. And on your good days and bad days TP friends are here to celebrate or empathise with you. Welcome x

Sent from my iPad using Talking Point

Status
Not open for further replies.