Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Our next Q&A session is on the topic of Christmas and dementia.This time we want our Q&A to involve our resident experts, you! Share tips and advice on navigating Christmas here in this thread.

Pop by and post your questions or if you prefer you can email your question to us at talkingpoint@alzheimers.org.uk and we'll be happy to ask them on your behalf.

Welcome to Talking Point - introduce yourself here

Discussion in 'Welcome and how to use Dementia Talking Point' started by KatherineW, Jul 22, 2013.

1. stanleypj

stanleypj Registered User

Dec 8, 2011
    North West
    Welcome to TP Freethinker. There are actually a fair number of United States citizens/residents amongst our membership as well as people from many other countries.
    I know you will find all sorts of information on here that will be useful to you. It is also a great place to get support when you need it.

2. AquarianStar

AquarianStar Registered User

Oct 3, 2015
    Hi guys my Dad has just been diagnosed with Alzheimer's and is fading fast so just need some support here to help me stimulate him to keep him active. He started paining today (art) because he is quite creative so I think this is a good start.

Sent from my iPhone using Talking Point

3. Izzy

Izzy Volunteer Moderator

Aug 31, 2003
    Female
    Dundee
    Hi and welcome to TP. I'm sorry to read about your dad's diagnosis but you've come to the right place for support.

Have you tried your local Alzheimer Society? They might have some suggestions of activities on offer in your area. My husband goes to an art class and it's great for him. If they have a Dementia Drop In Cafe then it might be a good idea to take your dad along to that. Often activities are advertised at these cafes.

You should be able to find your local society through this link-

http://www.alzheimers.org.uk/site/s...D=200121&_ga=1.132854920.789743645.1408462546

4. Tray2283

Tray2283 Registered User

Oct 5, 2015
    Hey guys, I've come back on this site after a little break( forgot my password too).i have been looking after my mum now for 3 years at, full time.
    Until now my dad& I have managed to look after her without outside help. But after spending 2 weeks in respite, she came out barely walking, unable to feed herself. We have managed to get her back to nearly 100%, but had to bring in carers now. I guess we really do need it now, it's thankfully funded & it will take some pressure off my dad& I. Just coming in here to seek advice& share my experience & maybe help others. X

Sent from my iPhone using Talking Point

5. Mark 2Bee

Mark 2Bee Registered User

Oct 6, 2015

Hi all

My mother has dementia in Norfolk, I live in Scotland. I'm her only living relative. I went to see her at the weekend and when I left she became confused I would like her to go into a home but the doctors will not do that. I need help.

6. Cat27

Cat27 Volunteer Moderator

Feb 27, 2015
    Merseyside
    Welcome to TP Mark:)

Are social services involved? If not contact them & ask them to assess your mum.

7. Rog22

Rog22 Registered User

Oct 6, 2015
    Hi everyone

Hi, I've just joined as I'm trying to get the best possible care for my Aunt who is 92 and has just been deemed to not have capacity, probably through dementia. She had another fall, went to A&E, then to a rehab unit, and now has been transferred to an EMI unit.
    My sister, my cousin and myself are just filling in the forms for the court of protection.

Just a quick question, is it normal for the social worker to be really unhelpful (friendly enough though) and to refuse a case conference? Also, what are the chances of NHS continuing healthcare?

Cheers

8. Cat27

Feb 27, 2015
    Merseyside
    Welcome to TP Rog22 :)

There are lots of stories on here about how unhelpful SS can be.

9. nitram

nitram Registered User

Apr 6, 2011
    Male
    North Manchester
  10. mobton

mobton Registered User

Oct 6, 2015
    Husband recently diagnosed

My husband has been diagnosed with dementia just this week. Feeling a whole range of emotions at the moment and not too sure yet how i will use talking point but just felt need to touch base at this early stage.

11. disi

disi Registered User

Welcome mobton, you are certainly in the right place to get help and support. Keep posting

12. Cat27

Feb 27, 2015
    Merseyside
    Welcome to TP :)

I'm sorry you need us but you will get lots of help & support here.

13. Trisha4

Trisha4 Registered User

Jan 16, 2014
    Yorkshire
    Hi. I felt exactly as you describe and touching base is an excellent idea. The range of emotions is a perfectly normal response. You can ask or say anything on TP. Someone will always understand. I'm sorry you had to visit but welcome. Many of us are journeying together. My thoughts are with you x

Sent from my iPad using Talking Point

14. bero

bero Registered User

Oct 8, 2015

Hi all, Mum was diagnosed with Alzheimers in November 2014, we have cared for her in her own home until 6 weeks ago when she went into a care home. Her Alzheimers is now quite advanced. She doesn't recognise us anymore and is sleeping more often. I have joined the forum looking for support from those of you who have already gone through this but also to maybe help those who are still at the start of this awful journey.

15. Cat27

Feb 27, 2015
    Merseyside
    You'll certainly get lots of help & support here.

16. degu68

degu68 Registered User

Oct 8, 2015
    London
    New member, joined today

Hi everyone, I am degu68 and I am the sole carer for my mother who has had vascular dementia for 8 years. I have joined today as I am feeling increasingly isolated in my caring role. I'm hoping that contact with others going through similar experiences will help. :)

17. Cat27

Feb 27, 2015
    Merseyside
    My dad has vascular dementia do I certainly understand how isolating it can be.
    Keep posting & you'll get lots of support.

18. hvml

hvml Registered User

Oct 10, 2015
    North Cornwall
    Hi

Hi TP. To introduce myself, I'm a carer for my dad and am very pleased to find this Forum.We are in a very rural area and I don't drive, so I am pretty much on my own with dad most of the time.My brother and sister in law live with us, but are out at work during the day, so dad and I have the days to ourselves. It will be great to be in touch with people who are in similar situations and who are willing to share support and advice. I look forward to seeing how this develops.All the best
    HTML:

19. hvml

hvml Registered User

Oct 10, 2015
    North Cornwall
    hi

Forgot to say that I am hvml.Please excuse my initial confusion at how best to use this site, but I have not used a Forum before. My dad has vascular dementia too. He is at a moderate stage in the development of the disease, so I am lucky to have some good experiences as well as the more challenging ones.

20. Izzy

Izzy Volunteer Moderator

Aug 31, 2003
    Female
    Dundee
    Good morning have and welcome to TP.

I'm glad you have found the forum. I'm sure you will get lots of help and support here. Looking forward to seeing you around. If you like you could think about starting your own thread in the I Care For A Person With Dementia part of the forum -

http://forum.alzheimers.org.uk/forumdisplay.php?70-I-care-for-a-person-with-dementia

People sometimes do that when they have a specific question or they feel they want to share something about their situation or indeed if they just want a good rant!

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.