Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.

Welcome to Talking Point - introduce yourself here

Discussion in 'Welcome and how to use Dementia Talking Point' started by KatherineW, Jul 22, 2013.

1. Izzy

Izzy Volunteer Moderator

Aug 31, 2003
    Female
    Dundee
    Hi gele. Welcome to TP.

I'm so sorry to read about your dad. I'm glad you have found this forum and am sure you will get lots of support here.

2. gele

gele Registered User

Mar 22, 2015
    rochdale area
    my dad

Thanks Izzy, I will post on the I'm a carer board from now on but just wanted to say thank you for responding.

3. Sid4catmatt

Sid4catmatt Registered User

Mar 22, 2015
    Mum

Hi, my name is Sandra and my Mum was diagnosed with a mixture of Alzheimers and vascular dementia last year. Two months ago she broke her hip and her stay in hospital has caused a downward spiral of her disease.
    I joined Talking Point after reading some leaflets that the lovely sister in the community hospital gave me today. She asked whether my sister and I had any support and when I said no she said that she thought this might help. I just feel that I need to be able to talk to people who understand how this feels from a carers point of view. I have very supportive friends, but I don't think anyone can really understand unless they have first hand experience.
    Thanks
    Sandra

4. jenniferpa

jenniferpa Volunteer Moderator

Jun 27, 2006
    Hi Sandra and welcome to Talking Point.

I think you are right about the whole "if you haven't dealt with this, you may not understand however sympathetic you might be" thing. It really does help to "talk" to people who have experienced what you have experienced.

I'm really glad you've found us. Do feel free to post your own thread (probably in this forum http://forum.alzheimers.org.uk/forumdisplay.php?70-I-care-for-a-person-with-dementia) so that you can tell your story and keep track of responses.

5. jaymor

jaymor Volunteer Moderator

Jul 14, 2006
    Female
    England
    Hi and welcome to TP Sandra.

So sorry you have had to find us but good that you have. There is so much help, understanding and friendship here. We all know what it is like to care for someone with dementia and many members who have dementia post on here.

Please both you and your sister use the forum to help you care and for support as you do the caring. Never be afraid to ask a question how ever difficult it may be. Someone will have experienced the same and will be able to offer help and advice.

Look forward to seeing you

6. Tinamary

Tinamary Registered User

Mar 12, 2015
    Scared of the unknown

Hi, my mom has recently been diagnosed with vascular dementia, I am reading all the different things on the Internet and the one thing I can't find is a specific chain of events, I now know there is no knowing what or when things may change and this is what really worries me, I think if I knew roughly I would be able to cope better as I am very much " right ok this is what's happening lets do this" kind of person, but the unknown is constantly on my mind..

7. stanleypj

stanleypj Registered User

Dec 8, 2011
    North West
    Hi Tinamary, and welcome to TP.

I know a lot of people feel as you do. But others of us find that it's best to try and focus on the specific difficulties that he person we care for has as of now and try to find ways of coping - TP is very useful for this. Even if you know all the things that can happen they may not happen to your mom so you could be anxiously anticipating unnecessarily.

I won't deny that any small change that you're not expecting can be worrying but sometimes it doesn't last or you discover a simple way round it. The worst times, I think, are when a number of things change for the worse after a relatively stable period (and this seems to happen, though not exclusively, in many Vas Dem cases as I understand it).

But we all have to find ways to deal with whatever is thrown at us and at least we can share our problems with others here.:)

8. witsender

witsender Registered User

Mar 24, 2015
    Hello

I have come here to seek information and support. Both my mother and father are almost 90 now, and I am going through a very difficult time since moving back to the UK and living less than 40 miles from my parents. As this is the introduction thread I won't go into details here, but I am looking for some discussions that might help me to deal with my situation.

I have been reading a lot of really poignant and valuable posts already here, so I am feeling hopeful that I can share my experience with the people here on this forum.

9. jaymor

Jul 14, 2006
    Female
    England
    Hi Witsender and welcome to Talking Point.

Now you have introduced yourself please post in 'I care for a person with dementia section of the forum. Here you will get the best replies because most people use this. You are of course ourse free to post any where you want so take a look around to see where you think you will be most comfortable posting.

Lots of advice and support from the members here.

Look forward to seeing you posting.

Xx

10. miner

miner Registered User

Mar 17, 2015
    mid glamorgan
    thanks

thanks trisha4 for your advice i will take it on board and visit site often

11. miner

miner Registered User

Mar 17, 2015
    mid glamorgan
    Thanks

Thanks stanleypj I will try to appreciate the things I enjoy with a new light and be thankful for them as you say

12. miner

miner Registered User

Mar 17, 2015
    mid glamorgan
    Thanks

thanks nae sporran i to enjoy walking and will try to do more and try not to feel guilty

13. barnsleynanna

barnsleynanna Registered User

Mar 25, 2015
    Hello from a newbie

Hi all. I've been searching for a place where I can discuss the problems I'm having taking care of my mum. This site came highly recommended. I'm 53 and live in Barnsley. I care for my 81 year old mother, who lives in Wigan..... glad to be on board

14. jaymor

Jul 14, 2006
    Female
    England

Welcome to Talking Point barnsleynanna.

I am glad you have found us and hope that the forum is going to be a great help to you.

The place to post now with any questions you may have is ' I care for a person with dementia'. Lots of members there so lots of advice and support on offer. Take your time and have a look around there is more than likely another part of the forum you may find useful.

Look forward to you joining in,

Take. Care,

Jay

15. Rachelryan

Rachelryan Registered User

Mar 25, 2015
    Salford
    Hi
    My name is Rachel and I have joined the forum due to my Grandad suffering from dementia. Lately he has got to an agressive stage which is becoming increasingly difficult for myself and family members to deal with - as it must be for my Grandad himself. So I have joined the forum with the hope of gaining some support and also of picking up some fundraising ideas so that I can raise some money for the Alzheimers Society.

Glad to be involved.

Rachels Talking Point

16. nellbelles

nellbelles Volunteer Host

Nov 6, 2008
    leicester
    Rachel,

Welcome to TP, although I'm sorry you needed to find us.

We are a friendly bunch, and I hope we can answer your questions and give you some support.

17. Kevinl

Kevinl Registered User

Aug 24, 2013
    Salford
    Hi Rachel. welcome to TP
    I'm sorry to hear you and your family are on the wrong end of the aggression, unfortunately it is a common feature of AZ and can be very difficult to deal with.
    If you want to join in and help then there is the "Salford Dementia Action Alliance" and the project started Joy Watson to make Eccles and Salford dementia friendly.
    K

18. Suziep71

Suziep71 Registered User

Mar 20, 2015
    Derby
    Welcome New Members - Introduce yourself here

Hi there.

My name is Suzie and I am a nurse which doesn't make it any easier when trying to understand and find out info regarding my dads awful illness. In fact I end up having a jelly brain and all sense goes flying out the window.

My dad was diagnosed with Lewy Bodies dementia last week and I have lost the plot a tad.

We all moved in together a year ago and when he started seeing things, I thought that it was because he was in new surroundings and that everything was strange etc. How wrong was I.
    He sees children playing in the back garden. People swinging of our neighbours washing line. Babies in our big plant pots. He seems to make objects into people in the garden and even though you explain that no-one can possibly get into the garden which he can understand. In the next breath he says that they are there. Luckily at the moment they don't worry him.
    He also talks to mum who died 5 years ago. When I ask him does he realise that she's not here he says yes.
    His vision isn't great which doesn't help him. He shuffles around and gets confused.

All of the above match LBD it's like the description was written for my dad.

My dad now worries that one day when he no longer remembers me how will I feel as he says "it will be so hard for you, I wish I could take a pill"

I have already had a day when he thought that I was someone else. I can't explain how that felt. But my reply to dad was that I'd not distress him and just say that I was his nurse. Whether that is the right thing to do I am not sure but it seemed to be the right answer for him at the moment.

Tablets are on the cards as he has stage 4 renal failure but they may or may not have worked anyway.

Sorry for the long winded message but just writing this down knowing that someone out there may understand has helped.

Thank you and lots of best wishes to all of you.

Suzie xx

Ps we are from Derby.

Sent from my iPad using Talking Point

19. Kevinl

Kevinl Registered User

Aug 24, 2013
    Salford
    Hi Suzie, welcome to TP
    Here's a link to the relevant factsheet, that in turn has links to other specific issues surrounding the condition, I hope there's something in there that may answer some of your questions, I don't have any experience of Lewy Bodies specifically but my late mum who had AZ used to see animals, rats and mice mainly but sometimes a "bloody big dog" which wandered about the house. My wife has AZ and she has no visuals but is convinced sometimes one of our children's voice is coming out of the radio or that the people on the radio or TV are talking about her. Hey Ho, it's all good fun.
    K
    http://www.alzheimers.org.uk/site/scripts/documents_info.php?documentID=113

20. Suziep71

Suziep71 Registered User

Mar 20, 2015
    Derby
    Hi Kevin. Thank you for the reply and the info. I really appreciate it.
    I will download it to read and to keep for future reference.
    Suzie

Sent from my iPhone using Talking Point

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.