Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.

Welcome to Talking Point - introduce yourself here

Discussion in 'Welcome and how to use Dementia Talking Point' started by KatherineW, Jul 22, 2013.

1. Trisha4

Trisha4 Registered User

Jan 16, 2014
    Yorkshire
    Hi Sally Anne and welcome. Try not to feel guilty. The important thing is to ensure that your Dad is being properly looked after and cared for. His safety and wellbeing are the most important factors. I'm sure he loves to see you all when you can visit. The photo album is an excellent idea. Are there opportunities for him to sing in the home? Just keep loving him and visiting when you can. He wouldn't want you to be upset I'm sure.

Sent from my iPad using Talking Point

2. U2swan

U2swan Registered User

Mar 13, 2015
    London
    Hello to all

I am a unpaid full time carer to my sister with learning disabilities. My dear sweet sister was recently diagnosed with early onset dementia.

I joined talking point hoping to meet people in a similar situation.

I'm usually a strong person. I help raised my sister from the age of 7.

My sister is happy and independent. I pray that she is unaware of what is happening to her. Sometimes I see her pain when she can not remember how to put on her shoes.

My heart is breaking because I know that I going to lose her one day.

3. chris53

chris53 Registered User

Nov 9, 2009
    London
    Hello U2swan, just wanted to offer a warm welcome to Talking Point, many of us ordinery people who are carers and who care, sometimes wonder why after other health problems with our loved ones way of life,dementia makes an arrival and takes the wind out of your sails, so sorry you and your sister now have this additional battle to fight, you will get support and understanding here by the bucketful:eek: there is usually someone around day or night,so please don't feel alone.
    Take care
    Chris

4. U2swan

U2swan Registered User

Mar 13, 2015
    London
    Hi Chris,
    Thank you so much. :) x

5. nae sporran

nae sporran Volunteer Host

Oct 29, 2014
    Male
    Bristol
    #1405 nae sporran, Mar 14, 2015
    Last edited by a moderator: Mar 23, 2015
    Hullo

My partner has Vascular Dementia and was actually doing ok most days, then her legs started playing up and the pain tires her making her memory and reasoning as bad as ever. Painkillers make little difference and it is getting us both down. Enough about my problems.

6. its a struggle

its a struggle Registered User

Thank you stanleypj

I'm off to the tearoom for a cuppa right now xx

7. Jester Bear

Jester Bear Registered User

Feb 25, 2015
    North Devon
    Hello

Have just joined TP. My husband has recently been diagnosed and am finding it a real problem. I think I have been in denial and am not very good with situations I have no control over. We seem to spend lots of our time not talking because one or the other of us has misunderstood the other, does that make any sense to any one? I feel lost, confused, lonely and I guess angry that my life has changed without my having any say in it. Sorry if this seems selfish also having problems finding local support. Sorry again for going on.

8. Kevinl

Kevinl Registered User

Aug 24, 2013
    Salford
    Pretty honest post JB, I admire you for being so honest about how you feel, The 2 issues you describe;
    "am not very good with situations I have no control over"
    and
    "angry that my life has changed without my having any say in it"

You are in a situation you have no control over and you don't have any say in it, neither do I, neither do most of us on here, but it isn't selfish that you feel this way nor is it wrong to envy your friends with a perfect later life, but as they say "it is what it is" and now you have to be in control of 2 lives and take control of them both.
    Unlike many other diseases where the care system kicks in with AZ it tends to wander off, hands in pockets, kicks a can up the street and leaves it for you to cope.
    We all feel "feel lost, confused, lonely and I guess angry" in varying degrees but you have to move on and make the best out of a bad job.
    K

9. chick1962

chick1962 Registered User

Apr 3, 2014
    Female
    near Folkestone
    Hello JB and welcome , initially after my husband got diagnosed , I felt the same. However 4 years into this journey a have learnt to adapt. It took a good year of adjusting to my husbands needs . You sort of "grow" into this new role. We still have really good days and enjoy life . My advise would be to make the best of everyday, put LPA in order , read a lot of info and get advice and than forget about what the future might bring and concentrate on the here and now :)

Sent from my iPhone using Talking Point

10. nae sporran

Oct 29, 2014
    Male
    Bristol
    hullo again, sorry to be a nuisance.

Can someone tell how this place works, is there a code ? my partner has vascular dementia, her family and mine are too busy or too far away and we are isolated. I hoped for support and advice here, but felt previous posts often went nowhere. Now my login fails and all the technical hoops go nowhere. Last try to make it work.:eek::confused::(

11. nitram

nitram Registered User

Apr 6, 2011
    Male
    North Manchester
    Sorry you are having problems with the site.
    You must be logged in as you have posted.
    If you click >>>HERE<<< you will be able to start a new thread in the 'I have a partner with dementia' sub forum where you will be able to post your concerns and get replies.

12. nae sporran

Oct 29, 2014
    Male
    Bristol
    #1412 nae sporran, Mar 16, 2015
    Hi nitram, thanks for answering. It is not the site, login apart, it is knowing how to put my thoughts down to get a thread started or avoid being ignored in an existing thread, or ruining an existing thread by saying the wrong thing as happened before.

13. nitram

nitram Registered User

Apr 6, 2011
    Male
    North Manchester
    "...it is knowing how to put my thoughts down to get a thread started..."

Just post about anything that is worrying you and ask if other people have experienced it.

Alternatively just have a rant, you won't upset anybody and having the rant could make you feel better.

14. nae sporran

Oct 29, 2014
    Male
    Bristol
    thanks again, i give both a go. Another rant most likely at the moment.

15. nitram

nitram Registered User

Apr 6, 2011
    Male
    North Manchester
    "... Another rant most likely at the moment..."

Rant away!!!

16. miner

miner Registered User

Mar 17, 2015
    mid glamorgan

just joined TP I find myself becoming more and more responsable for the care of someone close to me.Lately I am feeling more and more trapped by my position as if my world is shrinking.I also have this feeling of guilt if I have sometime to myself and also a feeling of fear that somthing might happen when I am not there is this a normal feeling

17. Trisha4

Trisha4 Registered User

Jan 16, 2014
    Yorkshire
    Hi miner and welcome. I am sorry to hear about your feelings. They are all perfectly normal. Those of us caring for someone close to us go through a myriad of feelings at different times. We all need some time to ourselves if it is possible. My husband can still be left at home but doesn't like me going out, so trapped, guilty and worried. This is the place to come for understanding, help and advice. It can be a lonely journey but you will always find companions here.

Sent from my iPad using Talking Point

18. stanleypj

stanleypj Registered User

Dec 8, 2011
    North West
    Welcome from me miner. I recognise the feeling that one's world is shrinking. I think the internet has helped a bit with this. Not only TP but some other sites help us to connect with others. But of course it seemed so much simpler before dementia crawled into our lives. Now we have to fight to preserve our own world as much as we can and to appreciate the things we can still enjoy.

At least TP reminds us daily that we aren't alone.

19. nae sporran

Oct 29, 2014
    Male
    Bristol
    #1419 nae sporran, Mar 17, 2015
    Hullo miner,

Know exactly how you feel. If I had not got out a few times last summer for a walk in the woods I doubt I could have been much help to OH, so don't feel guilty about taking a bit of time off.

20. gele

gele Registered User

Mar 22, 2015
    rochdale area
    I'm new-expect I'll need lots of support !

Hi, just introducing myself and situation.
    Until 6 weeks ago my dad was suffering with short term memory loss but he had no trouble holding conversations and was quite independent. I classed him as being in very early stages of dementia although he had never been assessed. We never felt it necessary. This was until he had a fall and broke his hip. He has post op delirium and stayed in hospital 3 weeks. Then was told had to leave, and as consultant said 6 weeks non weight bearing he had to go into a care home. The intention was always he comes home eventually[he lives with me, my husband and daughter] It still is, although he seems more confused, much more often. I think he is now racing towards full blown dementia. He goes to hospital for an assessment on his hip on Weds [now the 6 weeks are up] to see the consultant and see if he can start physio but I'm not sure how successful this will be. He is a different man than the consultant saw 6 weeks ago. I can see a tough road ahead and expect I will be on TP regularly looking for advice and support. SWs and the like are all new to me. Thanks for reading.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.