Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.

Welcome to Talking Point - introduce yourself here

Discussion in 'Welcome and how to use Dementia Talking Point' started by KatherineW, Jul 22, 2013.

1. Cat27

Cat27 Volunteer Moderator

Feb 27, 2015
    Merseyside
    Welcome to TP @Tany@

Have you seen this thread? https://forum.alzheimers.org.uk/threads/compassionate-communication-with-the-memory-impaired.30801/

2. Laura40

Laura40 Registered User

Dec 10, 2017
    Female
    England
    Hi All,
    I am new here. My husband has very recently been diagnosed and I am slowly coming to terms with the reality. I think it has been sneaking up on us for a few years now, so although not altogether surprised I feel like I have been walking around the last few weeks in a state of shock. My husband is not in denial but none of it really seems to be effecting him. I understand this is just part of the condition and that each day is different. He is not yet 60 and I am only in my early 40s. This is going to be such a life changer for us both and our children. Anyway hello to everybody and thanks for being here. It was such a wonderful find when I discovered this site last week.

3. Cat27

Cat27 Volunteer Moderator

Feb 27, 2015
    Merseyside
    Welcome to TP @Laura40. I’m glad you’ve found us.

4. Izzy

Izzy Volunteer Moderator

Aug 31, 2003
    Female
    Dundee
    Hi @Laura40 and welcome.

I'm sorry to hear of your situation but glad you found this forum.

5. Laura40

Laura40 Registered User

Dec 10, 2017
    Female
    England
    Thanks both.

6. Amethyst59

Amethyst59 Registered User

Jul 3, 2017
    Female
    Kent
    Hello, @Laura40 ...I am so sorry to hear of your husband’s diagnosis when you are both so young. I had young teenagers when my late husband had cancer and there was quite a bit of support especially tailored for the children, and I’m wondering if there is anything specifically for children and young people where dementia is concerned. I have recently read a book aimed at children, called the Dementia Diaries, but from memory it is more about older people getting dementia.
    If there is help for youngsters, I know someone who will know, so I will copy her into this conversation.
    @Izzy

7. Laura40

Laura40 Registered User

Dec 10, 2017
    Female
    England

8. Laura40

Laura40 Registered User

Dec 10, 2017
    Female
    England
    Thankyou that will be appreciated. I'm not sure if been on this forum is helping or not. I think it is making me face facts a little to much. I've read through a few of the threads and it is all looking very scary. I'm sure this is just me being in shock and struggling with my emotions. When I take a step back I realise I need the knowledge and support that a place like this can give me but this is really tough.

9. DaisyCat

DaisyCat Registered User

Dec 2, 2017
    Female
    Hi Laura,
    I'm new here too. I'm quite a bit younger than my OH and have an eleven year old. Would love to find support for our son as he is finding his own frustration hard to deal with some days.
    I agree with you that it all feels very scary. The changes within relationships - family dynamic is worrying too.

10. Greg Martin

Greg Martin New member

Dec 12, 2017
    Hi. My mum has been diagnosed with alzheimers I'm new to this so am looking for any advise really.

11. Izzy

Izzy Volunteer Moderator

Aug 31, 2003
    Female
    Dundee
    Hi and welcome to Talking Point. I'm sorry to read about your mum's diagnosis but glad you've found this forum. There's a wealth of information here and sometimes it's hard to know where to start. However it's always a good start to introduce yourself!

I wondered if this Dementia Guide would be of help to you. Just follow the links for information - https://www.alzheimers.org.uk/info/20111/publications_about_dementia/790/the_dementia_guide

If you have any specific questions or just want to talk more about your mum's situation you could consider starting your own thread in the I Care for A Person With Dementia Area -
    https://forum.alzheimers.org.uk/forums/i-care-for-a-person-with-dementia.70/
    Just click on Post New Thread and you're away. You can ask questions, share more about your situation or just have a rant if that's what you need to do.

12. hrmf

hrmf Registered User

Nov 29, 2017
    Hello,
    I am new here. I'm really glad forums like this exist as it is good to be able to talk about these issues. My grandma had begun to show signs of dementia a few years before she passed away. It was sad to see her change so much.
    It is nice to meet you all

13. Princess RF

Princess RF Registered User

Dec 14, 2017
    I am just learning how to use the Talking Point forum.

14. Princess RF

Princess RF Registered User

Dec 14, 2017
    I wanted to help other people who can't get to see their relative who has Alzheimer's as often as they would like.

My sister - there are only the two of us - now lives in a Care Home. She is mostly very happy, but has the regular crying or tantrums that I guess are part of the disease.

All I can do for her, since I live in another country, is encourage friends to visit when I can't get over to see her. They are marvellous.

15. Shedrech

Shedrech Volunteer Moderator

Dec 15, 2012
    Yorkshire
    hello @hrmf
    welcome to TP
    my condolences on the loss of your grandma - you must miss her

16. Shedrech

Dec 15, 2012
    Yorkshire
    hello @Princess RF
    welcome to TP
    it must be tough for you being so far from your sister - she's fortunate to have such good friends to visit her
    TP certainly is a good place to share experiences, good bad and ugly

17. hrmf

hrmf Registered User

Nov 29, 2017
    Thank you for the welcome, and yeah I do miss her.

18. Maisieh

Maisieh New member

Dec 16, 2017
    Hello. I've just joined the forum today after searching for some info online and the answer was contained within this useful forum. As I'm pretty sure my 97 year old mum has some sort of dementia/altzheimers (please forgive my ignorance) I've found it so helpful reading through some of the posts.

I'm having great difficulty at the moment. I'll hopefully do a 'proper' post in the next couple of days explaining my situation and asking some advice.

In the meantime just wanted to say hello and thanks to everyone who contributes. It's so helpful.

19. Shedrech

Dec 15, 2012
    Yorkshire
    hello @Maisieh
    and welcome to TP
    it's good to read that a general search for information has brought TP to your attention - you'll find a lot of useful information here and many sympathetic members to chat things over with - so post whenever you are ready ....

20. Dalton

Dalton New member

Dec 16, 2017
    Hi have you tried music from her past my brother has finally been given the news after 5 years that he has dementia he used to be in a band so we made a cd with 17 of the songs they used to sing he can't remember after about 30 seconds but if we put the cd on he can sing all 17 tracks word and pitch perfect
    Hope this helps no one understands.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.