Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.

Welcome to Talking Point - introduce yourself here

Discussion in 'Welcome and how to use Dementia Talking Point' started by KatherineW, Jul 22, 2013.

1. Izzy

Izzy Volunteer Moderator

Aug 31, 2003
    Female
    Dundee
    Good mornin @CharlieH and @Skylark33 and welcome to Talking Point. I'm glad you've found the forum and look forward to 'seeing' you around.

2. Zanth

Zanth Registered User

Nov 3, 2017
    Hello, I have just joined this forum today. My 88 year old father was diagnosed with Alzheimer's disease earlier this year. Unfortunately, we have seen a rapid decline in him and he is fast approaching the stage when we will need to find a care home for him. I was hoping to share thoughts, ideas and experiences with other members here.

3. Cat27

Cat27 Volunteer Moderator

Feb 27, 2015
    Merseyside
    Welcome to TP @Zanth :)
    You’ve come to the right place to share experiences.

4. HillyBilly

HillyBilly Registered User

Dec 21, 2015
    Ireland
    Hi @Zanth. Sorry to read of your father's decline. There are many of us here on Talking Point who have faced the same prospect so you will certainly find lots of support here. Welcome.

5. Erkenwald

Erkenwald New member

Nov 3, 2017
    My wife has Alzheimer’s and has removed all the photos of the pair of us from the walls ,she has also lost all memory of our marriage and time together ,I have gone from husband to carer

6. Zanth

Zanth Registered User

Nov 3, 2017
    Thanks

7. Zanth

Zanth Registered User

Nov 3, 2017
    Many thanks

8. LadyA

LadyA Registered User

Oct 19, 2009
    Ireland
    Hello @Erkenwald and welcome.

That sounds very hard to deal with emotionally. We know in our heads that it's not our loved one's fault, it's the disease, etc. - but our life's companion no longer recognising or remembering who we are cuts us to the heart, just the same. We know it's the disease, but it still hurts!

You've come to the right place to find support. There are many here who will understand exactly what you are going through.

9. Erkenwald

Erkenwald New member

Nov 3, 2017
    Hi there CharlieH
    My wife is 73 and has Alzheimer’s to ,so I think some of our experiences will be the same at least we both now have a forum where we can share them

10. CharlieH

CharlieH New member

Nov 3, 2017
    Hi there Erkenwald,
    I'm sorry to hear that your wife also has Alzheimer's. Jo( my wife ) was diagnosed about 2 years ago and has been in steady decline since then.

11. Erkenwald

Erkenwald New member

Nov 3, 2017
    Hi CharlieH
    For the last couple of years my wife’s condition has quite stable although always challenging but just recently her decline has increased more quickly and I have to keep remembering the person she once was

12. KPULESTON80

KPULESTON80 New member

Nov 8, 2017

Hi Anna

I can relate as my dad has vascular dementia only diagnosed a few months ago but I would say he has suffered for some time.

I didn't know there were stages of dementia so I have learned something already.

I'm struggling too at the minute as my circumstances have changed and I am having to go back to work and am studying whilst being a single mum to a 9yrs old and a 20yrs old who has not long left home.

I feel guilty for having to carry on with my life and that I am not able to drop everything for my dad nor can I and he has no way of understanding what I am going through nor does his mind give him relief all.

You are not alone. Keep posting keep waffling. You are not ALONE xxxx

13. Lisame11

Lisame11 New member

Nov 10, 2017
    Hello all,
    I have recently found your site and this forum. My Mum has yet to be diagnosed, but has gone from a few short term memory problems to serious difficulties in the space of a few weeks. She has a memory assessment in 10 days time.
    My Dad is currently caring for her and luckily my sister and I live close by.
    I came here to find support and advice about how best to help Mum and Dad. Also to increase my understanding of how Mum feels right now.

14. LadyA

LadyA Registered User

Oct 19, 2009
    Ireland
    Welcome @Lisame11
    Have a browse around the forum, and join in any ongoing discussions that catch your eye. And when you are ready, you could start a thread of your own, in the "I care for a person with dementia" section. https://forum.alzheimers.org.uk/forums/i-care-for-a-person-with-dementia.70/ Just click the "post new thread" button, give your message a heading, and type your message in the box underneath. Then click the "create thread" button.

15. SylviaB62

SylviaB62 Registered User

Jun 17, 2017
    Like you all I have a close family member, my mum, with this horrible condition. We coped athe home for a number of years but eventu ally nearly 7 years ago now had to put the care 9f mum into the hands of others. We have had some terrible care during this time with mum now being in her third home where the care is the best we can hope for. I pray night and day for an end to this living nightmare and a final farewell. I see people who have lost their loved ones being so saddened and I feel for them but I am finding it so hard to carry on seeing mum this way it is heartbreaking and not what she would want at all.

16. pika

pika New member

Nov 27, 2017
    Hi
    I am also new to the post. My father has Lewy body's Dementia. He is in total Denial. He is bright as a spark during the day and can remembers everything we talked a few days ago but he lives in terror because of his hallucination. They come with the dusk and now also during the day. In the night time, it gets very bad. He has called police several times, running to the street for help in spite that most of the time he can't walk but the fear made him do it. He refuses to go to a home insisting that he is going to be well by January. He sacked various careers and he does not let anyone stay overnight except me or my brother. He thinks we are lying to him and pretending that we do not see people that share his home. He believes we want to declare him insane. It is horrible. He is very reluctant to take medication. Unfortunately, I do not live close by. I am going to see him for a week soon. He refuses to go to a home and no one can make him because social services have declared that he still has full mental capacity.

17. Shedrech

Shedrech Volunteer Moderator

Dec 15, 2012
    Yorkshire
    hello @pika
    a warm welcome to TP
    your poor dad to be living with hallucinations - so hard for you being far away so cannot see him all that often
    unfortunately it's often the way that the person themselves is reluctant to accept home care visits, and to even consider a move to a care home - and as long as they are deemed to have capacity, any adult is 'free' to make decisions for themselves, including bad ones - if the police are involved, they can make referrals to Social Services, and if your dad becomes a risk to himself, SS can take action
    do let his GP know about the hallucinations and their effect on your dad, as there may be meds to help him and the GP does need to have a full picture of your dad's situation
    I hope you have Powers of Attorney in place
    do start your own thread with anything that's on your mind - members will respond with support and ideas to help

18. Sundog

Sundog New member

Nov 27, 2017
    Female
    Canada
    Hi all,
    my dad who recently passed away had dementia. I am a writer and currently working on a novel in which one of the main characters suffers from dementia. While I feel I gained some insight from my dad into how it is living with the disease, I'm hoping to learn much more about it by reading and also asking some respectful questions in the forums here. What a wonderful resource and support system! I wish everybody a lot of strength, and also lots of good and joyful times.

19. Kevinl

Kevinl Registered User

Aug 24, 2013
    Salford
    Hi Sundog, welcome to TP
    Ask away, I'm sure lots of people on here will be happy to help.
    I would say that everyone's experience is different and that as we say on here "when you've seen one person with Alzheimer's, you've seen one person with Alzheimer's".
    My (now late) Mum had AZ and my now wife does too now and the two experiences (from my point of view) weren't/ aren't anything like each other. It's hard to explain but somehow with a parent in their 80's you kind of expect or accept it as in some way inevitable, that experience in no way prepared me for having my wife diagnosed in her mid 50's. The same experience but totally different to live through.
    K

20. Sundog

Sundog New member

Nov 27, 2017
    Female
    Canada
    Yes, I'm sure. That's also why I'm looking for more input. I think the disease partly manifests itself differently in different people because no two persons are alike and the surroundings are different. So in order for the character in my book to be well-rounded and believable, I feel I need a broad range of information and expreiences to draw from.

Thank you for the welcome :)

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.