1. Welcome to Talking Point - an online community for everyone who is affected by dementia. Whether you have dementia or know someone who does, we will be there for you.

If you need help using Talking Point, read our Help pages or contact us at talkingpoint@alzheimers.org.uk

2. Hi everyone, Talking Point is back! We’ve updated the software in order to improve security, design, and the way the community works, and introduced some helpful features.

Find out more

Recommended thread Welcome to Talking Point - introduce yourself here

Discussion in 'Welcome and how to use Talking Point' started by KatherineW, Jul 22, 2013.

1. Izzy

Izzy Volunteer Moderator

Aug 31, 2003
    Dundee
    Hi @Kawasaki and welcome to TP. I'm so sorry to read about your dad. How sad for you all, having already gone down this road with your mum.

When you're ready you might want to start your own thread in the main forum -ask away!

2. Kawasaki

Kawasaki Registered User

Oct 4, 2017
    Thanks for the welcome Izzy.

I keep telling myself Dad has had 82 great years, & he certainly lived them..he even used to work in the circus!

3. Kawasaki

Kawasaki Registered User

Oct 4, 2017
    ...just thought I had maybe better explain my chosen forum name......! I am female & both hubby & I have motorbikes. Dad always loved bikes too, he had quite a few before he settled down & he still loves to see ours pull up at CH.

4. Izzy

Izzy Volunteer Moderator

Aug 31, 2003
    Dundee
    Your dad sounds like a lovely character! A circus worker too!

5. henhut

henhut New member

Oct 9, 2017
    Hi have posted a few threads last night amidst interuptions from oh who has dementure but now I have a few quiet moments I am posting an introductory thread.

Othet half was disgnosed 7 year ago.Am new to this site though as everyone here knows it does not get any easier so hello fellow carers.

6. Izzy

Izzy Volunteer Moderator

Aug 31, 2003
    Dundee
  7. LynneMcV

LynneMcV Volunteer Moderator

May 9, 2012
    south-east London
    Hi henhut and welcome to Talking Point.

I fully understand the problem of making posts amid interruptions - I think I have developed it into a fine art now :)

I am glad you have found us. I found Talking Point roughly 5.5yrs ago and have found it a huge font of knowledge, understanding and support. I am sure you will too :)

8. Steph_B_94

Steph_B_94 New member

Wednesday
    Hi

I am new to this site and this world in general. My nan was diagnosed in July this year so looking for hints and tips for how to cope.

Thanks

9. LadyA

LadyA Volunteer Host

Oct 19, 2009
    Ireland
    Welcome @Steph_B_94 You've come to the right place! There's lots of support and a wealth of shared experience here. Have a browse around the site and join in any discussions you want to, or you can start a thread of your own, probably in the " I care for a person with dementia" section.

10. Life

Life New member

Thursday
    Hello, I'm new here. My partner has recently been given a working diagnosis of Lewy Body Dementia. We have school age children.

11. LadyA

LadyA Volunteer Host

Oct 19, 2009
    Ireland
    Hello @Life and welcome.
    I'm sure you and your partner must be still reeling with shock. It's very hard at any stage of life, but I can't imagine, when you are still raising your children. So, I'm glad you have found us, but really sorry that you needed to. However, you have come to the right place - there's a huge and generous wealth of experience and support available among the membership of Talking Point. So do have a browse around the forum, ask any questions, and join in any discussions.

12. Bettysgirl

Bettysgirl New member

Friday
    Thanks for getting back to me with a welcome. I'm caring for my mum on a daily basis although I do not live with her and we've just been told she has either Alzheimer's or Psuedodementia, so it's like living on a knife edge waiting for results. I'm sure I will be on regularly with my questions, thanks again

13. Charlie Parker

Charlie Parker New member

Friday
    Hi my dad was recently diagnosed with Lewy body dementia. In the last 8 months he has gone from a slightly forgetful 70 year old to not being able to remember most things, hallucinating, sleeping a lot in the day suffering a rem sleep disorder at night and now becoming aggressive to the point that he has had to be removed from the nursing home he had just moved into to, he was sectioned under the mental health act and is at this moment being assessed in the hospital. My mum has MS and chronic fatigue so can no longer care for my dad. These last few months have been awful. Dad has had sepsis twice and as bad as it sounds I sometimes wonder if he would have been better if the sepsis had taken him so he didnt have to suffer this awful, awful disease.

14. Shedrech

Shedrech Volunteer Host

Dec 15, 2012
    Yorkshire
    you're welcome @Bettysgirl
    it's great that you have both joined TP so can each benefit from the support available here from members who, sadly, know what they are talking about - thank goodness we have somewhere to come to share concerns and good times with those who appreciate where we're coming from
    best wishes

15. Shedrech

Shedrech Volunteer Host

Dec 15, 2012
    Yorkshire
    hello @Charlie Parker
    I guess that's 'Bird' ? - my dad loves jazz and swing - his favourite at the moment is MJQ, one of their live recordings really helps to calm him
    your family have a lot on your plates; so much to deal with
    it's good that your dad is getting the support and monitoring that he needs
    I hope your mum is able to recuperate; it sounds as though she struggled on almost to carer breakdown - it's hard to pass on the caring role, but necessary for her to look after herself too
    I'm glad you've found TP to be able to share your experiences; the good, the bad and the ugly (but that's a whole different genre)
    best wishes

16. Charlie Parker

Charlie Parker New member

Friday
    S
    Hi @Shredrech you are kind of right on the name, I chose this name from a series of book I enjoy and the main character is Charlie Parker who was named after 'Bird'. You are spot on about my mum she did reach breaking point even with me helping out twice a day so we had no choice other than to find somewhere for dad to be cared for, but at the minute we havent found that place, because of dads sudden challenging behaviour. It is a relief to find somewhere to be able to talk to people who really understand this awful disease x

17. Putford

Putford New member

Sunday
    Hello,
    This is my first post and my introduction, both my parents have dementia, dads worse than mum but he's in complete denial, both are getting very difficult to deal with and it's taking it's toll on me at the moment.
    Hopefully I can get some much needed advice and input from those who have been through similar situations.
    So, hello everyone!

18. LadyA

LadyA Volunteer Host

Oct 19, 2009
    Ireland
    Hello @Putford and welcome. That must be very difficult, having both parents with dementia! Are they living with you?

I suggest you start a thread of your own, in the "I care for a person with dementia" section, where more people would see your post and respond and give support. And do join in any of the ongoing discussions on the forum too! To start your own thread:

1. Find a forum that is relevant for you [e.g. I care for a person with dementia ]

2. At the top, you'll see a button called 'Post New Thread' - click or tap on this.

3. Add a discussion title and below, add your message. Then click or tap the [Submit thread] OR [Create Thread] button. Don't forget to check the box "watch thread" so you will receive alerts to responses to your post.

19. Elephant22

Elephant22 New member

Yesterday
    Hi
    I have experienced almost every emotion in the last year since my Dad had been diagnosed with mixed dementia .
    Reading other people's experiences and struggles is often heart breaking but also helpful to know I am not going totally mad !
    My Mum is trying to care for Dad with ever increasing support from me as her health and mental capacity deteriates rapidly
    I worry constantly about the future as they both refuse any help -tried care package Dad was rude and refused to let anyone in the flat
    Dad has always been awkward and stubborn this seems to be what's left of him -will not wash and now drinks all day if he can which is distressing to witness
    I have given up trying to talk to him as he confabulates constantly or gets angry which upsets my Mum
    I just end up cleaning and trying to make life less awful for her now
    Sorry to waffle on I know this is only the start of this long journey !