Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.

Welcome to Talking Point - introduce yourself here

Discussion in 'Welcome and how to use Dementia Talking Point' started by KatherineW, Jul 22, 2013.

1. Ash76

Ash76 Registered User

Nov 16, 2015
    hi

Hi everyone, I've just registered recently but I've been reading the forum posts for advice up till now. I care for my mum who has Alzheimer's and find it a great relief to know that others are sharing similar experiences and passing on great advice.

2. Kevinl

Kevinl Registered User

Aug 24, 2013
    Salford
    Hi Ash, welcome to TP
    I hope you find as much help on here as I have.
    K

3. Izzy

Izzy Volunteer Moderator

Aug 31, 2003
    Female
    Dundee
    Hi Ash. Welcome from me too.

4. Joyola

Joyola Registered User

Jan 17, 2016
    Shedrech, she has an ulterior motive, she works as an advisor for the society

5. eghjm100

eghjm100 Registered User

Jan 18, 2016

Hi my name is Jean my dad has been diagnosed with Alzheimer's about 2 years ago he is 94 and 6 months ago we he moved into semi sheltered housing in the same town as us so that we could be more help to him. He lives in a ground floor flat in a private road all the residents look out for each other they have a manage of the site who organises the gardener and looks after the site. He says he loves living there and the neighbours are so friendly compared to where he lived before. He has coped with the move extremely well. He knows he has Alzheimer's and understands what it does to him and believes he can manage it, so far he has made quite a good job.

6. fizzie

fizzie Registered User

Jul 20, 2011
    Welcome
    That is such a lovely positive post and the flats sound wonderful. So glad you have joined us. Don't forget to start a new thread if you need any help or want to ask questions.

7. flystand

flystand Registered User

Jan 18, 2016
    Mt Pearl,St John's nl
    flystand newbie,

Hi, my name is Kimberly, I am 33 years old,living in Mt.Pearl, St,John's Newfoundland, I found Talking Point at just the right time, I prayed for help, and I've found myself, plenty here, What a blessing. My mum is 60 years of age and currently in hospital for mental health issues and now a diagnosis of Dementia.:( Glad to be here.

8. Cat27

Cat27 Volunteer Moderator

Feb 27, 2015
    Merseyside
    Welcome to TP Kimberly :)
    I'm glad you've found help & support here.

9. nealthespur

nealthespur Registered User

Jan 20, 2016
    south beds
    Hi

Hello everyone, my name is Neal. My mum who is 84 has been diagnosed with dementia/alzheimers mixed. She was diagnosed about 18 months ago. She is still at home with her partner but often whats to kick him out, and this is happening more and more. The illness has left her with a nasty streak i've never noticed in her before.
    Joined here for advice,help and support

10. Cat27

Feb 27, 2015
    Merseyside
    Welcome to TP Neal :)

The nastiness is one of the hardest things to deal with in my experience. You'll get lots of support, help & advice here.

11. missingmum

missingmum Registered User

Jan 21, 2016
    Dementia with Lewy Bodies

Hi Everyone,
    This is my first post. Background info is that we lost our lovely Mum 4 years ago. Our Dad has been coping well since then despite having Parkinson's Disease, and Parkinson's Related Dementia. He was diagnosed 3 years ago with Prostate Cancer. He declined treatment. Since July 2015 he has become more confused, my sister and i have been visiting him twice daily to give him meds. However, in Oct he had a UTI which sent him delirious and he spent two months in hospital. He has been diagnosed with end stage Dementia with Lewy Bodies and can't live alone. He is now living in a nursing home. The decline in him has been incredibly quick. In six weeks he went from completing daily activities to now being in a wheelchair unable to get dressed, and using a catherter etc. He has been so abusive, physically and verbally especially to me, and my sister and brother. Biting, spitting, swearing, punching, kicking, telling us he hopes we burn to death amongst other things. Is this normal for DLB? He continually pulls his catherter out too. Leaving himself with trauma in that area. Any advice would be gratefully received.

12. stanleypj

stanleypj Registered User

Dec 8, 2011
    North West
    Welcome to TP missingmum. So sorry to hear about the dreadful situation that has brought you here. I believe the horrific behaviour you describe can occur in DLB but is certainly also seen in some people with other dementias.

Sometimes such extreme symptoms ease off after a while and I do hope this will be the case here. I also hope and trust other members caring for people with similar behaviours will be along. You could also enter Lewy Bodies into the search box if you haven't done so already.

Like so many others I can tell you that TP is a great place to come for support and information.

13. nitram

nitram Registered User

Apr 6, 2011
    Male
    North Manchester
    My wife had LBD and exhibited the kinds of challenging behaviour you describe.

The medication that calmed her down the most was Memantine and Sodium Valproate.

If you get the Sodium Valproate in tablet form, and if you get the crushable form (Epilim) so that they can be broken in the mouth don't take them out of the foil pack to put in dossette boxes as they are very deliquescent.

14. Singerwood

Singerwood Registered User

Jan 25, 2016
    north worcestershire
    Father has dementia - my story

Hi - my father was diagnosed with advanced VD and Parkinsons last September after being admitted to hospital. My mother had hidden the extent of his problems from us - and herself - until she couldn't cope with his physical incontinence any more. It's all been a terrible shock to us - I have a brother. My mother doesn't drive, and rarely leaves the house being not only reclusive but also in great pain from osteoporosis so since September I've been doing the 70 miles round trip to see her and take her to see my father. She and I have never been close - I take after my father and theirs has always been a very stormy relationship - so I find myself biting my tongue when I'm with her. My brother lives many miles away and works in Europe a lot, so we rarely see him though he visits when he can. What makes it all more difficult is that I'm disabled myself and the emotional and physical demands of this new situation are taking their toll on me. My father still recognises us, but has very little language now, which is heart breaking. He's now on a really good nursing home but it still breaks my heart every time I see him.

15. Cat27

Feb 27, 2015
    Merseyside
    Welcome to TP :)

Are there any family friends who could take your mum to visit dad so you can cut back on your trips?

16. Qwertyqueen

Qwertyqueen Registered User

Jan 27, 2016
    Hello

Hi
    My mother, who is 84, has been diagnosed as having vascular dementia and in December she moved into a care home. Prior to this she lived at home with my father, 94 years old, and was actually his carer as he is physically disabled. Now caught in that position of feeling awful that my parents who have been married for 64 years are now having to live separately. Mum complains that she is bored when I go and visit her and thinks she is going to get better and come home and dad is really depressed and lonely as he is missing his wife. I am married, work full time, have one daughter and one foster child - I admit to feeling slightly frazzled by it all. Glad to have found TP because I really think it is going to help answer a lot of questions I have.

17. chris53

chris53 Registered User

Nov 9, 2009
    London
    Good afternoon Qwertyqueen, a warm welcome to Talking Point,so sorry your parents are now apart after so many years together, although good that mum is being cared for 24/7,but this has left a big void in your dads life,maybe the British Legion could help as they have volunteers who visit older people,just for a cuppa and chat once a week, it may give your dad something to look forward to,it's so difficult to juggle when both parents have different needs and health problems, above all please do keep posting/reading here, support and understanding by the bucketful by us ordinery people who are carers,but are people that care:)
    Best wishes
    Chris

18. Samanthap

Samanthap Account Closed

Nov 21, 2015
    Thank you all :)

19. chatycathy

chatycathy Registered User

Jan 28, 2016
    chatycathy

Hi just thought id say hello was told yesterday that I have vascular dementia I am 64. finding this very hard to take in any advice would be appreciated.

20. stanleypj

stanleypj Registered User

Dec 8, 2011
    North West
    Hello Cathy. Welcome to TP. I'm so sorry to hear what has brought you here but you have certainly come the right place for information and support.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.