Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.

Welcome to Talking Point - introduce yourself here

Discussion in 'Welcome and how to use Dementia Talking Point' started by KatherineW, Jul 22, 2013.

1. KatherineW

KatherineW Volunteer Moderator

Oct 2, 2007
    London
    #1 KatherineW, Jul 22, 2013
    Last edited by a moderator: Dec 21, 2017
    NOTE: This is our old welcome thread, you can find the new one >>here<<

If you are a new member, welcome to Talking Point (also known as TP). :)

This is your place to say Hello to other members, and tell us a little bit about yourself - for example, about your connection to dementia and your reasons for joining.

If you'd like to start your own discussion thread - perhaps to ask a question or to share your experience - here are some tips.

Click this link to see a list of our forums:
    http://forum.alzheimers.org.uk/forum.php

Choose the most appropriate forum for you by clicking on the blue title.

forums.JPG

Once you're in a forum, you can then click on the grey '+post new thread' button to start a new discussion.

post new thread.JPG

Then, type a title, add your message and click 'submit new thread'

message.JPG

Please also have a look at our Help section, which includes our terms and conditions as well as some useful tips and things to remember when posting messages.

If you have any questions about using the forum, please don't hesitate to contact the Talking Point team.

We hope you’ll find using Talking Point helpful. 

2. Radagast

Radagast Registered User

Jul 23, 2013
    England, United Kingdom
    #2 Radagast, Jul 23, 2013
    Last edited: Oct 10, 2013
    Introduction

3. Izzy

Izzy Volunteer Moderator

Aug 31, 2003
    Female
    Dundee
    Hello and welcome Radagast.

I'm glad you found TP. I know you will get lots of help and support here. When you want to discuss something specific start your own thread and i know you will have lots of responses.

4. Seeking support from far away

Hello. I found TP among my regular reading for Alzheimers. Due to lack of information or support groups in my country (Guatemala) I am trying to find good advice.
    I have a father in the mid stage of Alzheimer, who lives at his house by himself, supervised by a maid and a part time nurse.
    My concerns are a lot, but to name a few:
    - where and who are the ideal place and persons he needs to be with?
    - How to desintoxicate him from all the meds he is taking?
    - Sleeping and eating habits.
    - Legal advice about his financials, debts, etc.

Thank you and blessings to the volunteers and administators who created this forum. I'm hoping I will find it useful. :)

5. Radagast

Radagast Registered User

Jul 23, 2013
    England, United Kingdom
    #5 Radagast, Jul 24, 2013
    Hi Izzy

Radagast.

6. Radagast

Radagast Registered User

Jul 23, 2013
    England, United Kingdom
    #6 Radagast, Jul 24, 2013
    Advice

7. seng

seng Registered User

Jul 25, 2013
    Andover Hampshire
    A Daughter

Hi,
    My darling Mum had Vascular Dementia she sadly passed away last June.
    She was 93 years old and had been in a Care Home for over a year. I was her carer and was devastated when she went.
    My Mum and Dad had been married for 64 years, Dad passed away this May he was lost without her (he had Bowel Cancer).
    I have been very scared and have had to have counselling I sometimes think that I don't want to be here.
    Luckily I have two sisters, a nephew and a gorgeous hearing dog called Rula.
    I would love to hear from other people.

8. chris53

chris53 Registered User

Nov 9, 2009
    London
    Hello seng, a warm welcome to you to Talking Point, I am so sorry for the loss of your dear mum, and also your dad as well, my thoughts are with you, please feel you are with friends here, to talk whenever you want to, to share memories of your mum and dad, to tell us about your lovely helpful Rula, to just reach out and be yourself:eek:

Sending you a big hug and look forward to you posting again
    Chris x

9. Izzy

Izzy Volunteer Moderator

Aug 31, 2003
    Female
    Dundee
    Welcome from me too Seng. How sad about your mum and dad. It must be vey hard for you. I'm glad you found TP. I know you will find lots of help and support here. Rula - what a lovely name your dog has. x

10. eddieeagle

eddieeagle Registered User

Jul 26, 2013
    Introduction

Hello to everyone on TP, I´m EddieEagle and my mum has dementia. She is 92 and in nursing care following a severe untreated UTI in January. She definitiely had clear symptoms of dementia beforehand, nothing too serious & living an active independent life, but the UTI really knocked her over & she has been in a home ever since. She knows, that she is not her old self, but she misses her independence terribly, which makes her very sad and angry. To complicate matters, I live abroad and cannot be with her as often as I would like. I am also not familiar with the various bodies involved, but I am learning quickly what it means to have dementia in UK.
    At the moment, I can only describe my sadness, vent my frustrations and seek advice from TP members. Hopefully, when I am further on my journey, then I will be able to put something back into TP and help others.
    I chose the name EddieEagle as he was somebody who participated in a sport, that he couldn´t hope to win, but he wanted to do his best, whatever the cost. That is how I feel when talking about my mum, I cannot beat the illness or the NHS, but I want to do my best for her whatever it takes.
    All the very best to all at TP

11. seng

seng Registered User

Jul 25, 2013
    Andover Hampshire
    Thank you.

Chris,
    Thank you very much.
    I take comfort in the fact that Mum and Dad are together.
    Rula is a black and tan Cavalier King Charles Spaniel and is wonderful.
    It is lovely to chat to people.
    XXXX

12. seng

seng Registered User

Jul 25, 2013
    Andover Hampshire
    Thank you

Izzy,
    Yes it is very hard it is a fight every day for me to stay, but it is a fight I am slowly winning.
    Rula is a black and tan Cavalier King Charles Spaniel.
    When she came into High Wycombe at 3 months old Rula Lenska was in doing
    a promotional visit ie the name.
    Thanks again for your support it is much needed.
    XXXXX

13. Izzy

Izzy Volunteer Moderator

Aug 31, 2003
    Female
    Dundee
    #13 Izzy, Jul 26, 2013
    Last edited: Jul 26, 2013
    I wondered if Rula was after Rula Lenska!

14. lyn russell

lyn russell Registered User

Jul 28, 2013
    hi everyone my mother who is 76 has alziehmers and is really aggitated unfortunately she lives over 300 miles away from me and my father is her carer but unwell himself she has gone back to when she was about 17 and everyday wants to go back to london to see her mother. am so worried she will get on a train or just go missing how do you deal with this please
    :(

15. Izzy

Izzy Volunteer Moderator

Aug 31, 2003
    Female
    Dundee
    Hi Lyn and welcome to TP. I'm sorry to read about your mum's diagnosis. It must be very worrying for you when you live so far away.

Has your mum had a Community Care Assessment?

http://www.alzheimers.org.uk/site/scripts/documents_info.php?documentID=131

If not I think it might be a good idea to organise one. If it was at all possible you could be present during the assessment to support your dad. Part of the assessment is a Carer's Assessment so they would look at his needs as well.

Take care. x

16. seng

seng Registered User

Jul 25, 2013
    Andover Hampshire
    Hello

Hi Lyn,
    Is there a Princess Carers up near your Mum and Dad. The Doctors surgery should know, if yes they will help them both.
    If you need someone to talk to we will listen.
    Take care

17. lyn russell

lyn russell Registered User

Jul 28, 2013
    thankyou for your replies, i have never heard of princess carers but will ask, they have just had an assesment last week from social services and are due another meeting this week to see what they suggest, it is really difficult my dad says he doesnt want carers and he wont consider mum going into a home. he is silly and stubborn thanks for listening. i do appreciate all your comments

18. Anna_1988

Anna_1988 Registered User

Jul 28, 2013
    Birmingham U.K
    Hi all, firstly I would like to say hello to all of you, I am so glad I finally found this website.

I am a 25 year old woman, who has a mother of 59 who is in stage 6 of Vascular Dementia. She has suffered with this for almost 4 years diagnosed - with hindsight I think she has shown symptoms for about 8 years.
    I am an only child so apart from my dad I hav pretty much dealt with this on my own, whilst bringing up a 3 year old and a 1 year old, but now she is in the latter stages, I am finding it increasingly difficult to be that strong individual I once was with this.
    That is the main reason I joined, to talk to people who will understand and to help others with advice.
    Sorry for the long post lol, I only planned a short note but I tend to waffle.
    Hope to speak to some of you in more depth soon xxx

19. Izzy

Izzy Volunteer Moderator

Aug 31, 2003
    Female
    Dundee
    Hello Anna and welcome.

I'm sorry to hear about your mum's diagnosis but I'm glad you found TP. I know you will find lots of help, support, advice and friendship here. When you're ready you might want to start a thread of your own so that people can get to know you and offer help if you have any concerns or questions.

Looking forward to seeing you on the forum. x

20. chris53

chris53 Registered User

Nov 9, 2009
    London
    Hello Lyn, just a warm welcome from me also,hope all goes well with this second meeting if possible could you get hold of the social worker before they visit? so you can up date them before this meeting:eek: if they can provide some sort of practical help even if it is once a week to start, it may change dads way of thinking(fingers crossed) please keep posting and let us know how thing are. Take care-Chris

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.