Welcome to Talking Point - introduce yourself here

Status
Not open for further replies.

karaokePete

Jul 23, 2017
N Ireland
Hello @Maya Frances, you are welcome here and I hope you find the forum to be a friendly and supportive place at what must be a stressful time for you.

Do take a good look around the site as it is a goldmine for information. When I first joined I read old threads for information but then found the AS Publications list and the page where a post code search can be done to check for support services in ones own area. If you are interested in these, clicking the following links will take you there

https://www.alzheimers.org.uk/get-support/publications-factsheets-full-list

https://www.alzheimers.org.uk/find-support-near-you

You will see that there are Factsheets that will help with things like getting care needs assessments, deciding the level of care required and sorting out useful things like Wills, Power of Attorney etc.

sergi

Sep 25, 2018
Hi everyone my mum has just been diagnosed with vascular dementia although i have known for some time that she had some form of dementia. last week she had a stroke and is currently in hospital she has no physical problems from the stroke but it seems to have propelled her dementia forward making her more confused than she was before. she also has bowel cancer and was due to start radio therapy to shrink the tuma, however the doctor has said due to her stroke she is too unwell to now start the thearpy and will probably never have it because of her dementia. this means all that would be left for her is pallative care. I am planning to look after her at home in her own house and my husband and our two dogs (my mum has a cat) will be living in a caravan on my mums drive. I just want to make whatever time she has left as happy as possible but being honest i do feel a bit apprehensive about what to expect and can i do it so hopefully this forum will be a support network for me and my family

karaokePete

Jul 23, 2017
N Ireland
Hello @sergi, you are welcome here and I do hope that you find the forum a friendly and supportive place.

In the hope that it helps to provide you with information that will enable you to do as you plan, if you click on this link you will find the AS Publications list that has information on all dementia related topics https://www.alzheimers.org.uk/get-support/publications-factsheets-full-list

Do have a good look around the site and feel free to ask any questions you may have as the membership are a very experienced bunch.

Izzy

Volunteer Moderator
Aug 31, 2003
Dundee
my mum has recently been diagnosed with vascular demetia:(

Hi @papilion and welcome to the forum. I'm sorry that your mum has had this diagnosis but I'm glad you've found Talking Point. You will find lots of help and support here.

Once you've had a chance to have a look around the site you will get a feel for how you want to use it. You might want to start a thread of your own in the I Care For A Person With Dementia area of the forum. This is one way of keeping all of your own questions, thoughts, concerns and responses from members together.

I look forward to seeing you around the forum. In the meantime you might find this factsheet useful -

https://www.alzheimers.org.uk/sites...loads/factsheet_what_is_vascular_dementia.pdf

If you want to see if there is any suitable support activities in your area put your postcode in the box in this link -

kindred

Apr 8, 2018
Hello, I have joined this site as both my parents have dementia.
Hello Maya Frances and welcome and this is a very tough call for you. Say more when you can, no pressure, and tell us what worries and situations we can help you with. I have found this forum a lifesaver. Kindred.

Home21

Sep 26, 2018
I have only just found out about Talking Point and as my husband has had dementia for several years I am interested in finding out about other peoples experiences of this terrible disease.

nellbelles

Volunteer Host
Nov 6, 2008
leicester
Hello @Home21 welcome to TP sorry you needed to find us but I hope the knowledge and support here will help.
I hope you will have a good search around TP and then continue to post so we can support you as things progress

kindred

Apr 8, 2018
Hi, I have been reading this site for about 14 Months. I don't use social network so I have never posted anything. Please forgive me for any mistakes I make now or in the future!!! My Mum was diagnosed with moderate dementia 14 months ago. The whole thing has been a nightmare. I have felt responsible for my Mum and her many medical issues for 35 years but this dementia thing is a whole new ballgame!!!! I'm tired, drained, confused and finding help is really hard to find. I guess, right now, we are at crisis point and a care home is the only option. She has been living alone with carer visits three times a day. At the moment she is in hospital until I, along with some of my family, can find a care home suitable for her. This is one of the hardest things I've ever had to deal with. Unfortunately my family is not very forthcoming with help. Most of it is left for me to deal with. I have pretty much stumbled along trying to sort things but finding there is no guidance by authorities. They seem to assume you know exactly what to do.
Please see if the hospital has any social workers who can help you find the right care home. Ask for help as it is such a difficult area and we are left to our own resources. Warmest, Kindred.

Watergate

Sep 27, 2018
Hello just signed up because I felt it would help to talk to people who understand looking after a partner with dementia

Jonesy78

Sep 27, 2018
Hi. Thank you for accepting me. My Mum started showing signs of dementia a while back but we can't get her to see a GP to get a diagnosis. It's getting to the point where my mum and dad need support but I don't know how they can get it without seeing a GP. Any suggestions would be welcome...thank you xxx

karaokePete

Jul 23, 2017
N Ireland
Hello @Jonesy78, you are welcome here and I hope you find the forum a friendly and supportive place.

Getting the GP involved would obviously help and I know some members have successfully asked the GP to call a parent in for something like a Well Woman appointment, which can then include relevant aspects. This often works because the older generation will obey a request from a doctor, even when they refuse family.

Apart from that, I think that you can approach the Local Authority for a care needs assessment without the GP and on the basis that these are two vulnerable adults to whom they owe a duty of care. There is an AS Factsheet about this issue that may contain some useful advice and can be reached by clicking this link https://www.alzheimers.org.uk/sites...assessment_for_care_in_support_in_england.pdf

Swordfish

Sep 28, 2018
Hi. My dad has dementia, along with sporadic gout and a moderate alcohol dependency. I am struggling to help him/myself through this, so am hoping to get some support, if others here have been through the same. Thank you.

karaokePete

Jul 23, 2017
N Ireland
Hello @Swordfish, you are welcome here and I hope you find the forum to be a friendly and supportive place.

Do take a good look around the site as it is a goldmine for information. When I first joined I read old threads for information but then found the AS Publications list and the page where a post code search can be done to check for support services in ones own area. If you are interested in these, clicking the following links will take you there

https://www.alzheimers.org.uk/get-support/publications-factsheets-full-list

You will see that there are Factsheets that will help with things like getting care needs assessments, deciding the level of care required and sorting out other useful things

Status
Not open for further replies.