Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Expert Q&A: Benefits - Weds 23 October, 3-4pm

Our next expert Q&A will be on the topic of benefits. It will be hosted by Lauren from our Knowledge Services team. She'll be answering your questions on Wednesday 23 October between 3-4pm.

You can either post your question >here< or email them to us at talkingpoint@alzheimers.org.uk and we'll be happy to ask them on your behalf.

Welcome to Talking Point - introduce yourself here

Discussion in 'Welcome and how to use Dementia Talking Point' started by Mark_W, Sep 21, 2018.

1. nae sporran

nae sporran Volunteer Host

Oct 29, 2014
    Male
    Bristol
    Welcome to TP @Arta. Sorry your mum's condition brings you here when she should be thinking about her retirement. I don't know the situation in Australia for getting carer support, but my OH will accept help from care workers that she won't accept from me, so it is a route you may want to explore. .

2. Shedrech

Shedrech Volunteer Moderator

Dec 15, 2012
    Yorkshire
    hello @Arta
    a warm welcome to TP
    there are members who live in Australia, so it may be worth adding this as a location to your profile as systems are different in each country and another member in Australia may have particular info for you
    have you checked with your mum's doctor about giving her the valium as it's wise to be very careful with such meds
    many folk with dementia are reluctant to shower; being naked and having water 'poured' over you can be a frightening experience when you no longer fully understand what is happening - have you a shower seat so your mum can sit down, and maybe keep a towel round her, using it as a large flannel, so water isn't hitting her skin - with my dad, I also stopped washing his hair while showering as he was frightened of the water over his head and in his eyes
    in fact, a lot of the time I helped dad just have a good wash at the sink with flannels and targetting a different patch of him each wash, so overall he washed his whole body over time; he was happy with this, feeling more in control so more relaxed
    we tend to think a daily shower is important but hygiene can be maintained with washing - and don't forget her feet and toenails; dad enjoyed a 'pedi' while sitting in his armchair, using a large bowl
    there are also wash foams, used in care homes, and dry shampoos
    sometimes a person is more co-operative with a carer, especially one in uniform, so might you arrange some home care visits?

3. Arta

Arta New member

Oct 28, 2018
    Female
    Australia
    Thank you for all your suggestions will give them a go but she does get violent which is why we give the Valium just to calm her down abit. I will try your suggestions I’m just sick of getting hit.

4. Arta

Arta New member

Oct 28, 2018
    Female
    Australia
    Thank you for the warm welcome. At this stage mum will not even tolerate having a carer in her house I can’t imagine her reaction if the poor carer even tries to approach her for personal care. As a family we refuse to try an antipsychotic, the side effects and risks scare me.

5. Eadiedog

Eadiedog New member

Oct 28, 2018
    Hello, I'm new here so please forgive me if I get the 'nettiquette' wrong.

Mr husband had just been diagnosed with Lewy bodies dementia. I have been keeping a diary for about a year, so it didn't come as any surprise to me.

He's been in hospital for 6 weeks and is now in a rehabilitation and decision ward. His condition has deteriorated rapidly which I'm told is quite common. We're waiting now for the social worker assessment, before we can have a meeting to decide what will happen.

So we're in a bit of limbo at the moment.

Sorry for the long intro, I have been looking at other threads and this seems to be the right forum for me.

Hope to talk to some of you soon. X

6. Izzy

Izzy Volunteer Moderator

Aug 31, 2003
    Female
    Dundee
    Hi @Eadiedog and welcome to Talking Point.

I'm sorry to hear of the situation for you and your husband. I'm glad you've found this forum though. I know you will get lots of help and support here. When you're ready to you might want to start your own thread in the I Have A Partner With Dementia area - to ask a question, share a concern, or just to say how you feel or have wee rant! It helps so much to share things here.

7. SteveC59

SteveC59 New member

Oct 25, 2018
    Thanks for that, I help my neighbor as a volunteer, take him for a walk, do odd jobs etc. I've just started out as a Sole Trader and I have a question regarding working for someone as a paid Carer, it's a question related to doing some wok for someone with Vascular Dementia, can I post in the appropriate part of the forum?

Many Thanks

8. amyhunt

amyhunt New member

Oct 28, 2018
    Female
    Dawlish, UK
    Hi all,

My name is Amy and I have joined this forum to learn more about Alzheimer's. My Nan was diagnosed with this and, as a family, we have seen her deteriorate. I would like to get to know more about the condition, as well as what I can do to support Nan.

9. karaokePete

karaokePete Registered User

Jul 23, 2017
    N Ireland
    #169 karaokePete, Oct 28, 2018
    Last edited: Oct 28, 2018
    Hello and welcome to the forum. You have come to the right place for information and support.

Whilst you can learn lots from threads on the forums, there is a publications list that covers all issues related to dementia and you can find that with this link https://www.alzheimers.org.uk/get-support/publications-factsheets-full-list the list is useful for many things like understanding the issues and sorting out things like Power of Attorney, care needs assessments etc.

You can also do a post code check for support services in your area by following this link https://www.alzheimers.org.uk/find-support-near-you

Now that you have found us I hope you will keep posting as the membership has vast collective knowledge and experience.

10. Shedrech

Shedrech Volunteer Moderator

Dec 15, 2012
    Yorkshire
    hello @amyhunt
    a warm welcome to TP
    this is a good, safe place to come for information and support so I am glad you found us
    have a mooch around here and the main AS site (link at extreme top right of page) and start your own thread when you're ready with anything that's on your mind

11. Grannie G

Grannie G Volunteer Moderator

Apr 3, 2006
    Kent
    Hello @SteveC59

I doubt anyone here will be able to give you a specific answer but the Helpline might, or if not signpost you to someone who can. Please give them a call.

National Dementia Helpline

0300 222 11 22

Helpline opening hours:

Monday to Wednesday

9am – 8pm

Thursday and Friday

9am – 5pm

Saturday and Sunday

10am – 4pm

12. Debparky1967

Debparky1967 New member

Oct 29, 2018
    Hi. I’ve just joined. My dad has Alzheimer’s. He lives in a flat where there is no support in place and I’ve been worried about him. I’ve mabaged to persuade him to move into sheltered accommodation and he’s agreed, as long as I move him back to the area he grew up in (it’s only 3 mikes from where he currently is). After 11 months I’ve finally reached the top of the list and found somewhere he’ll like, but now I’m worried about how he is going to remember that he has moved. He goes out nearly every day, often to the pub. How can I make the move go as smoothly as possible and make sure that he finds his way to his new home? Thanks

13. SerenaS

SerenaS Administrator
    Staff Member

Apr 7, 2011
    London
    Hello @Debparky1967

I see that you've started a discussion and received a reply with some helpful advice. :) It may also be worth contacting our Helpline on 0300 222 11 22 (this is a national rate number and should be part of an inclusive national rate minutes allowance on landline or mobile contracts). You can also email them at helpline@alzheimers.org.uk if you prefer.

14. SerenaS

SerenaS Administrator
    Staff Member

Apr 7, 2011
    London
Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.