Welcome to Talking Point - introduce yourself here

Status
Not open for further replies.

Mark_W

Sep 28, 2015
London
Welcome to Talking Point :)

This thread is for all our new members to say hello and tell us a little bit about yourself. For example, about your connection to dementia and your reasons for joining.

Just click on the blue "Reply to Thread" button above this post, type your message and click the blue "Post Reply" button to make your first post.

If you've got questions about how to use Talking Point click on these links below.
  • You can find answers to frequently asked questions here.
  • Our Help videos will show you how to navigate the different areas of Talking Point.
  • We also have a Quick Guide explaining how to use Talking Point including logging in, posting, replying, checking private messages and searching.
  • Also we recommend having a read through our Guidelines which are some useful tips and things to remember when posting.
If you just want to know how to post your own thread please read on.

Posting on a small screen
(Click on the images to enlarge them)

Firstly click this link to see a list of our forums: https://forum.alzheimers.org.uk

Then scroll down and chose the most appropriate forum by clicking on it's name.

Forum List Mobile.PNG

When you're in a forum, click on the blue "Post New Thread" button.

Forums Mobile.png

Then, type a title, add your message and click 'Create Thread'.

Post New Thread Mobile.png

Posting on a big screen
(Click on the images to enlarge them)

Firstly click this link to see a list of our forums: https://forum.alzheimers.org.uk

Then scroll down and chose the most appropriate forum by clicking on it's name.

Forum List.png

When you're in a forum, click on the blue "Post New Thread" button.

Forums.png

Then, type a title, add your message and click 'Create Thread'.

Post New Thread.png

If you have any questions about using the forum, please don't hesitate to contact the Talking Point team as we're here to help.

We hope you find Talking Point helpful.

Little tern

Aug 17, 2018
Hello,my husband has vascular dementia, diagnosed about two years ago, the worst aspect has been in the decline in his mobility.He had a chest infection in April and had to be admitted to hospital, followed by a rehab hospital for a month. Since then his limited mobility has completely gone and he has to be hoisted and has carers three times a day. His mental state has also declined considerably .It has all happened very quickly and we are both struggling. I have a wry smile to myself when I hear of people with dementia wandering off ..... chance would be a fine thing! Lots of help with the memory problems on line but very little about the physical.
Any one else out there with a similar experience?

Izzy

Volunteer Moderator
Aug 31, 2003
Dundee
Hi @Little tern and welcome to the forum. I'm sorry to hear of your problems but am glad you've found TP and have introduced yourself here.

As you say, this has all happened so quickly. No wonder you're struggling.

You may want to think about starting a thread of your own. Many people begin their own threads so that they can keep all of their issues and questions and responses in the one place.If you feel that would be useful for you just go to the I Have A Partner With Dementia area of the forum and click on 'post new thread'.

I'm sure you'll get lots of help and support from members. There is always some around to listen.

Amethyst59

Jul 3, 2017
Kent
Hello, @Little tern, my husband has vascular dementia too, but our circumstances sound quite different. When I first read your post, my first thought was that your husband might recover some mobility, but it has been a while since he was first taken ill. Do you still have him at home? I know there are other members who have loved ones with reduced mobility, so if (I hope do decide to start your own thread, I’m sure that many members will be able to give you some practical tips, and we will all offer you moral support.

Squishychickfi

Aug 17, 2018
Hi. My mum is going through the diagnosis procedure at the moment and it looks like it will be mixed dementia. I am struggling with everything at the moment and am likely to lurk for a bit while I read everything and get my confidence up.

Izzy

Volunteer Moderator
Aug 31, 2003
Dundee
Hi @Squishychickfi and a very warm welcome to the forum. I’m so glad you have found it so early in your mum’s diagnosis progress. I know you will find a mine of useful information here as well as masses of help and support.

Please do lurk. When you’re ready you can think of whether you want to start your Ian thread. Just take your time.

Underwing74

Hello, I’m a newbie. Trying to find my way around this forum and I live in Townsville, Notth Queensland Australia. I’m a retired counsellor and minister of religion, married for nearly fifty years with four married children and ten grandchildren. My husband is 76 years and has Vascular Dementia. Hence my interest in this forum.

Underwing74

Thank you for your welcome, Cat27. I haven’t really discussed my husband’s condition in depth with anyone outside my family and the medical profession so it’s good to know there are others dealing with same concerns we have as a family

Cat27

Feb 27, 2015
Merseyside
Thank you for your welcome, Cat27. I haven’t really discussed my husband’s condition in depth with anyone outside my family and the medical profession so it’s good to know there are others dealing with same concerns we have as a family

That’s the beauty of TP. We are all there or have been there. We understand.

karaokePete

Jul 23, 2017
N Ireland
Hello @Underwing74, welcome to TP from me too. I hope you find the forum to be a friendly, informative and supportive place.

If you want to do some reading on any aspect of dementia there is a good publications list attached to the site. Many Factsheets etc., will apply to the UK but there is plenty of generic information there too. You can find the list with this link https://www.alzheimers.org.uk/get-support/publications-factsheets-full-list

If you have trouble navigating the site there is a useful help page with videos, FAQ's etc., which you can find with this link https://forum.alzheimers.org.uk/help/

Sunny Days 321

Sep 29, 2017
Hi I've not posted before but have read many threads and seen the support that is out there. I have decided to post today as I could really do with some advice on how to juggle family, work and care commitments and the emotional turmoil I find myself in on a daily basis.
To introduce myself, I am the 'other side' of middle age and am married with three children, one who works and lives away from home, one at Uni and one at home who is much younger and still at school. I work part-time, 3 days a week. My mum still lives in her own home nearby and I have been caring for her for the past 9 years, over which time her dementia has obviously gradually deteriorated. She has carers on a daily basis who help her with dressing and personal care and they come once a day for 1-2 hours. Until recently she had a cleaner who had been with her from the beginning, a good friend but she left as she was unable to cope with mum's changing needs. My brother used to live locally but moved away 18 months ago to live abroad and my sister also lives a long way away. Consequently I have been left on my own to look after mum with all the responsibility and emotional issues that brings. I visit once or twice everyday ( sometimes three times at the weekend.) , do her shopping, cleaning, appointments, washing basically anything that needs doing. Mum's moods are increasingly difficult to cope with she constantly tells me she never sees anyone and no one talks to her and it is days since she has seen anyone! I feel that nothing I say is right and she doesn't believe anything I say so conversation is getting much more difficult. She has no real understanding of who I am and how I am related to her and tells me everyday that her son is coming next week to sort everything out, although since he moved he only sees her at most 3 times a year when I have asked him to come because I need a break. Most visits are now ending in tears for me and leave me feeling depressed and at a loss of what to do next and anxious about returning. I have a very supportive husband but no one else to talk to who really understands what it is like to live with this terrible disease. How do other people cope with it all? Sorry to be so negative but yet another morning visit where I have returned home in tears.

nae sporran

Oct 29, 2014
Bristol
Welcome to TP @Sunny Days 321. You have taken on so much and are so isolated it is not surprising it's getting on top of you. You are certainly among friends here who understand some, if not all, of what you are doing. I don't work, and gave up a part-tome voluntary job as that was too much.
On the practical side, have you had a carers assessment and has your mum had a care needs assessment recently. The agency doing your mum's care could also do her cleaning I think, may need to ask them or social services about that.
Keep posting, start a thread on " I care for someone with Dementia" when you get the chance, and I know you will get support here.

Funfurry

Aug 10, 2018
Hello I'm Jane I have joined the forum last week. My mother Anna age 84 just diagnosed with Alzheimer's after living with bipolar disorder anxiety and depression for 45 years. She has undiagnosed PTSD in my opinion too having gone through the Holocaust age 5. I and my sister gave been caring for her for 6 years since my dad died she lives alone locally with carers for the past year. We had to transfer her from the psychiatric hospital to a care home as an emergency as the psychiatrist declared her mentally incompetent. We have applied for guardianship it's a very slow process. This summer has been incredibly fraught dealing with psychiatric hospital admission 3rd in 18 months to care unexpectedly at no notice. I joined as I know nowt about dementia Having always dealt with mental illness. I live in Scotland am mum to a 10 year old child and work full time almost. Having to learn a lot quickly with a very confused mum and good but expensive and chaotically run temporary care home.

Sunny Days 321

Sep 29, 2017
Welcome to TP @Sunny Days 321. You have taken on so much and are so isolated it is not surprising it's getting on top of you. You are certainly among friends here who understand some, if not all, of what you are doing. I don't work, and gave up a part-tome voluntary job as that was too much.
On the practical side, have you had a carers assessment and has your mum had a care needs assessment recently. The agency doing your mum's care could also do her cleaning I think, may need to ask them or social services about that.
Keep posting, start a thread on " I care for someone with Dementia" when you get the chance, and I know you will get support here.
Hi, thank you for your help. We have just undergone a care needs assessment and are waiting for a follow up meeting in the next couple of weeks, so hoping that might help. Will certainly try starting a thread when I've got time. Thanks

chris53

Nov 9, 2009
London
Hello Jane, good afternoon, a very warm welcome to you to Talking Point, your mum has been through and battled some very traumatic times in her life,and now mum,you and your family have more battles in trying to understand and cope with this unpredictable world of dementia, so please be assured that there is usually someone around whenever you feel the need to talk,to share an experience,a virtual hug if wanted and sometimes a smile or two.
Take care
Chris

nae sporran

Oct 29, 2014
Bristol
Hi, thank you for your help. We have just undergone a care needs assessment and are waiting for a follow up meeting in the next couple of weeks, so hoping that might help. Will certainly try starting a thread when I've got time. Thanks
Good luck with your meeting, Sunny Days.

glasshalfempty

Aug 20, 2018
Hi all, my partner was diagnosed just under 2 years ago with Alzheimer's.

The signs however were apparent to me for at least a year beforehand. Things like not being able to find the right words during speech, having to explain things a couple of times or more, planking his wallet and waking up in the middle of the night for us to have to hunt the house for it.

I have joined as I am coming to the stage of no return. Things have been worsening steadily over the past year in terms of behaviour, paranoia etc. Mainly at night. I hope I can pick up tips here or just have a space in which to let off steam.
Thanks

Status
Not open for further replies.