Welcome to Talking Point - introduce yourself here

Status
Not open for further replies.

Mark_W

Sep 28, 2015
London
Welcome to Talking Point :)

This thread is for all our new members to say hello and tell us a little bit about yourself. For example, about your connection to dementia and your reasons for joining.

Just click on the blue "Reply to Thread" button above this post, type your message and click the blue "Post Reply" button to make your first post.

If you've got questions about how to use Talking Point click on these links below.
  • You can find answers to frequently asked questions here.
  • Our Help videos will show you how to navigate the different areas of Talking Point.
  • We also have a Quick Guide explaining how to use Talking Point including logging in, posting, replying, checking private messages and searching.
  • Also we recommend having a read through our Guidelines which are some useful tips and things to remember when posting.
If you just want to know how to post your own thread please read on.

Posting on a small screen
(Click on the images to enlarge them)

Firstly click this link to see a list of our forums: https://forum.alzheimers.org.uk

Then scroll down and chose the most appropriate forum by clicking on it's name.

Forum List Mobile.PNG

When you're in a forum, click on the blue "Post New Thread" button.

Forums Mobile.PNG

Then, type a title, add your message and click 'Create Thread'.

Post New Thread Mobile.png

Posting on a big screen
(Click on the images to enlarge them)

Firstly click this link to see a list of our forums: https://forum.alzheimers.org.uk

Then scroll down and chose the most appropriate forum by clicking on it's name.

Forum List.png

When you're in a forum, click on the blue "Post New Thread" button.

Forums.png

Then, type a title, add your message and click 'Create Thread'.

Post New Thread.png

If you have any questions about using the forum, please don't hesitate to contact the Talking Point team as we're here to help.

We hope you find Talking Point helpful.

Ninakay

Apr 20, 2018
Hi all my name is nina my mom is 72 diagnosed Alzheimer's 12months ago, looking for advice

Soobee

Aug 22, 2009
South
Hello Ninikay, welcome to Talking Point. Please ask if you have any specific questions about your mom. :)

Maggiejigs

Apr 22, 2018
Hi all - feel bit of a fraud being on here as my husband has not been diagnosed yet. Over past year he has lost interest in conversation and recently we had to visit doctor as he kept thinking someone was trying to harm him - I was coming home to locked door and hammer under his cushion for protection. Blood tests were done (13) and came back ok except for high PSA count so we are seeing consultant urologist on Monday. Doc did cognitive test which he passed and put him on vit B12 at moment and although no more imaginations, he is still restless when watching tv and chewing his nails.

Will wait for diagnosis and start my own thread as I have so much to give vent to but grateful for this website to be able to do that and hopefully get support. My friend said wait until it rains before putting up your umbrella but I just know in my heart that my husband is in early stages of dementia.

Shedrech

Dec 15, 2012
UK
hello @Maggiejigs
a warm welcome to TP
TP is here for you however and whenever you come to the site - so start your own thread when you are ready (no need to wait) to vent, ask questions or just chat
I think many of the carers here would say that they had an inkling what was happening well before diagnosis - it's good that your husband is being checked over thoroughly and maybe the B12 will be effective
you mght keep a daily log so that you have a record of how your husband is each day to show any consultants you meet; it will help give them a fuller picture of what's going on, and so help with any diagnosis

Izzy

Volunteer Moderator
Aug 31, 2003
Dundee
Hi @Maggiejigs and welcome to Talking Point.

Please don't feel a fraud! You have very real concerns and when and if a diagnosis of dementia comes you know you'll have lots of support here.

Soobee

Aug 22, 2009
South
welcome to Talking Point, gardenpotter.

Are there any queries you have about mixed dementia or caring for your mother?

Ella May

Apr 22, 2018
Hi, my mother was diagnosed Sept 16, went into a care home in Jan 17 due to running away from home and the police having to get involved, she is late 80's. My sister is Appointee but I think the council is trying to get Deputyship even though I visit my mother every weekend. I have got a solicitor involved and stated to the council that if a Deputy is required I would be it. The council is not telling me anything and won't return my solicitor's phone calls. Has anyone gone through this before?

nellbelles

Volunteer Host
Nov 6, 2008
leicester
Hi @Ella May welcome to TP, I personally don’t know anything about Deputyship but maybe it would help to talk to the Alzhiemers help line

If you’d like to talk to someone, you can call our helpline on 0300 222 1122. It's open 9am - 8pm Monday to Wednesday, 9am - 5pm on Thursday and Friday, 10am - 4pm on Saturday and Sunday. You can also email them athelpline@alzheimers.org.uk.

Crazylady

Apr 23, 2018
Hi,bit new to using forums but here goes!!!
I joined because my stepdad has Alzeimers,he is 87,& has always been quite eccentric anyway.Recently we have been granted financial power of attorney because we were told he hadn't got the capacity to manage his finances.He has been in my life for about 40 years but only married my mum 12 years ago,she sadly passed away 9 years ago & since then my sisters & I have looked after him as though he is our dad.He has always supported us,emotionally & sometimes financially because he wanted to,we have always been a close family.Sorry long story short,recently his ex wife's godson has made financial abuse allegations about myself & my husband.Obviously this is extremely distressing & I'm not eating or sleeping.We have a meeting next week with a social worker where we have been ordered to hand over my stepdad's cheque book & bank card which we keep to stop him losing them again.The social worker assessed my stepdad recently & has now said he has got financial capacity even though his care home told me the other day he has lost the hundred pounds that he demanded my husband leave for him on our last visit.Can anyone reassure me about the meeting,what to expect etc,many thanks.

tony truro

Apr 23, 2018
Hi,bit new to using forums but here goes!!!
I joined because my stepdad has Alzeimers,he is 87,& has always been quite eccentric anyway.Recently we have been granted financial power of attorney because we were told he hadn't got the capacity to manage his finances.He has been in my life for about 40 years but only married my mum 12 years ago,she sadly passed away 9 years ago & since then my sisters & I have looked after him as though he is our dad.He has always supported us,emotionally & sometimes financially because he wanted to,we have always been a close family.Sorry long story short,recently his ex wife's godson has made financial abuse allegations about myself & my husband.Obviously this is extremely distressing & I'm not eating or sleeping.We have a meeting next week with a social worker where we have been ordered to hand over my stepdad's cheque book & bank card which we keep to stop him losing them again.The social worker assessed my stepdad recently & has now said he has got financial capacity even though his care home told me the other day he has lost the hundred pounds that he demanded my husband leave for him on our last visit.Can anyone reassure me about the meeting,what to expect etc,many thanks.
Hi stay calm and try to rest it's very hard work..thinkiing of you .Tony truro

Willow63

Apr 25, 2018
Hi , I've joined forum as lying awake upset. my mum nd dad have been living with dementia for some years now. mum has now had 2 strokes and is moving to a care home this week. I know this is the right time and choice but have so many conflicting emotions. my dad is now alone at home too so the struggle continues. must admit I feel guilty,, alone and emotionally drained. Can't sleep and yet am so tired.

sqeaker

May 10, 2017
Hi My Husband has Altzheimers and has got worse over the last year, but recently he gets up to go to the toilet and goes on the bathroom floor, i have got a bottle he uses but recently when he gets up to go i go to help and he gets angry with me swears at me, he has never sworm at me in all the years we have been married. We are soul mates and this is hurting me. I cant go out now as i never know when he will go to the loo recently he went on the coffee table. Dpoes anyone have any similar problems.

Status
Not open for further replies.