Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.

Welcome to Talking Point - introduce yourself here

Discussion in 'Welcome and how to use Dementia Talking Point' started by Mark_W, Mar 22, 2018.

1. Grahamstown

Grahamstown Registered User

Jan 12, 2018
    East of England
    @EMH1810 my husband had a similar experience. He is considerably older than your father, I was already worried about him as he was developing habits which I now know to be typical of early Alzheimer’s disease. He was due to attend the memory clinic but he could function perfectly well, driving and leading a fairly normal life. He had memory problems and suffered from fainting occasionally but in February he collapsed at a dinner with colleagues and friends when I was not with him. I caught up with him in A&E where I was shocked to find him in dementia, there is no other word for it. I hardly recognised him as he had never been like this before. He stayed in hospital for a couple of days and was uncooperative, trying to leave and was persuaded to stay quite unlike his usual self. He has been diagnosed with mixed Alzheimer’s with some VD and although he is not the same as he was before, he has recovered to a certain extent and can look after his personal needs. He can no longer drive and although he has recovered from the hospital induced dementia, he has not returned to the way he was before. I do hope this helps and that your father recovers some of his abilities too.

2. I am old 74

I am old 74 New member

Apr 12, 2018
    My name is donald my wife has Dementia started 2012 either me or my daughter is with her 24/7 she is now in a rehab center she came here from hospital had blood clots we hope she gets strong enough to go home it is the hardest thingwe have gone through in our 58 years of marriage she as well as all like her dose not deserve this terrible
    Diease

3. Izzy

Izzy Volunteer Moderator

Aug 31, 2003
    Female
    Dundee
    Hello @I am old 74/Donald and welcome to Talking Point. I'm sorry to hear about your wife. It must be very hard for you.

I'm glad you've found this forum and am sure you will find lots of support here. Now that you have introduced yourself you may want to start a thread of your own if you have any questions or concerns - or even just want to get something off your chest. If you want to do this just go to the I Have A Partner With Dementia area of the forum and click on the 'Post New Thread' button. You'll find the link here -

I Have A Partner With Dementia

4. Sarasa

Sarasa Registered User

Apr 13, 2018
    Hi,

I've just signed up after reading lots of useful advice on these forums. I have a ninty year old mother who lives independently wthout any help other than that provided by family, friends and neighbours. She has macular degeneration and is registered as partially sighted. Although I have had some concerns about her mental capacity for a few years, in the last few months things have got to the stage where concerned neighbours are contacting my brother and I about her. I took her to the GP a month ago to see if we could get a referal to a memory clinic, but he wasn't unduely concerned, she got 26/30 in the mini memory test and blood and urine test he ordered didn't show anythign amiss. Since then she seems to have declined further and my brother and I have booked another GPs appointment for her. I'm not sure how we will get her there, as she gets very angry if we try to raise our concerns or even suggest she gets some help with cleaning etc.. Last time I hijacked an appointment she'd made for another matter.

5. karaokePete

karaokePete Registered User

Jul 23, 2017
    N Ireland
    Hello and welcome to TP. You will find this a friendly, informative and supportive place.
    Often 'hijacking' an appointment with the GP is the route used to get a person with suspected dementia seen. The mini tests are a bit useless and scores can vary widely - my wife scored 28 and was still referred because of background comments about behaviour. Before any appointment make written notes of every symptom you see and present the list to the GP so that they see the bigger picture.
    Good luck

6. Tuesdays-Child

Tuesdays-Child Registered User

Apr 15, 2018
    Female
    Derbyshire
    Hi everyone. My name’s Tia, I’m 18, and my grandma’s been diagnosed with dementia for about four years.

I discovered Talking Point a few months ago and have been lurking since then, but today I finally decided to join after grandma came round to our house and showed us the same letter probably 40 times, amongst many other things.

If anything, I hope this forum will give me a place to vent about my frustrations and help me balance them with other parts of my life.

7. karaokePete

Jul 23, 2017
    N Ireland
    Welcome to being a full member. :)
    You will already know how good a place TP is so don't be afraid to start your own thread if you have a question or wish to vent. You will get support.

8. Bendymavis

Bendymavis New member

Apr 17, 2018
    Hi, due to my Dad's dementia he has had to sadly move into a care home.
    My mum who has been diagnosed with terminal cancer joined him in the same home after spending 4 weeks in hospital.
    What is sad is that my Dad did not want to go and see my mum, he said that things were not the same.
    My mum was very upset.
    Is this normal behaviour? my Dad has not seen her for 2 weeks.
    I feel so guilty that I have had to place them in a home.

9. karaokePete

Jul 23, 2017
    N Ireland
    Hello @Bendymavis, welcome to TP.
    I don't have experience of care homes so can't comment about that other than to say that you shouldn't feel guilty as there often comes a time when we can't provide the level of care required by ourselves. I hope that your parents settle and thrive as best they can in their new environment

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.