Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.

Welcome to Talking Point - introduce yourself here

Discussion in 'Welcome and how to use Dementia Talking Point' started by Mark_W, Feb 21, 2018.

1. Martini

Martini New member

Feb 28, 2018
    Hi Rob, thank you for your speedy reply! My Mum has had a diagnosis, about 3 years ago. She tipped from Mild Cognitive Impairment to Mixed Dementia then after a spell in hospital. She has been functioning quite well so we never really needed to consider carers until now. The main issue was the emotional impact of losing a person gradually. Do you need a GP to refer to social services?
    I will check out the 'I care for someone' threads. Thanks for tip.

2. nae sporran

nae sporran Volunteer Host

Oct 29, 2014
    Male
    Bristol
    You won't need a GP referral for social service as far as I know. I got a care package for OH through the hospital social worker, but had been talking to social services about care when she was admitted. The emotional impact is the hardest part, and you will get plenty of support on here if you just want to express your feelings. I have found carers support groups very helpful for that too and they can advise you on care needs assessments. Try carers.org or Click on [post new thread] on the I care for someone forum and [create thread] after. If you click on [watch thread ]you will get notifications when someone answers. Hope that helps.

3. AngnMam

AngnMam New member

Mar 3, 2018
    Hi
    My dad was diagnosed with Alzheimer’s mixed, so vascular dementia as well 3 weeks ago. He is 83 and Mum is 79. I’m the sort of person who will try and find out everything as a way to cope. I’m please I’ve found this forum.

4. nae sporran

Oct 29, 2014
    Male
    Bristol
    Hullo and welcome to TP @AngnMam. Sorry your dad has had his diagnosis, it's a lot to take in and deal with.
    You may have already found the thread and the factsheet as you were browsing, but they are a good place to start if you need basic information.
    https://forum.alzheimers.org.uk/threads/compassionate-communication-with-the-memory-impaired.30801/
    https://forum.alzheimers.org.uk/threads/factsheet-and-website-a-z.103617/

When you're ready I hope you will post any questions or just express your emotions on the "I care for a person with dementia" forum.
    At the top, you'll see a button called 'Post New Thread' - click or tap on this.
    Add a discussion title then add your message below. Then click or tap the [Create Thread] button.
    Under the "post new thread" button is the option to 'watch thread' which can give you updates if you get answers.

Best wishes,

Rob

5. chris53

chris53 Registered User

Nov 9, 2009
    London
    Good afternoon AngnMam, a warm welcome to Talking Point, lots of information here which may be of help now or in the future, carers who care share their experiences and how they cope with dementia, lots to read, as well as fact sheets and our help line if needed are here. Please don't hesitate to post whenever or if you feel the need. Take care - Chris

6. AngnMam

AngnMam New member

Mar 3, 2018
    Thank you

7. carolynp

carolynp Registered User

Mar 4, 2018
    Hi Everyone. I’m Carolyn and I’m new to this. I’ve looked at a number of sites but this is the one where I found respondents offering the most warm, considered, sensitive, informed and helpful comments. So well done everyone and I feel honoured to have your company!

My husband was diagnosed with fronto-temporal lobe dementia a year ago. He’s 78 now. We live in Australia. There’s lots of help here but I don’t feel ready yet. I talk a lot to friends but one has already gently warned me I now have no other topic of conversation!

So this site seems a safe, friendly option. Love and sympathy to all carers on this hard journey.

Look after yourselves! Goodbye for now.

Carolyn.

8. Izzy

Izzy Volunteer Moderator

Aug 31, 2003
    Female
    Dundee
    Hi @carolynp and welcome to Talking Point. I'm sure you'll find lots of help send support here. When you're ready perhaps you'd like to start your own thread to tell us a bit about your situation.

9. Belle45

Belle45 New member

Mar 4, 2018
    #49 Belle45, Mar 4, 2018
    Last edited: Mar 4, 2018
    Hi all

10. Cat27

Cat27 Volunteer Moderator

Feb 27, 2015
    Merseyside
    Welcome to TP @Foxi21 :)

11. Grahamstown

Grahamstown Registered User

Jan 12, 2018
    East of England
    @carolynp I agree with you and this site provides comfort advice and tips which have helped me a lot. Now you have given me food for thought because I wondered whether I too have no other topic of conversation but my OH. Moreover I criticize him for constantly harping on his main topic of conversation which drives me mad. So must be more aware now! Keep plodding on is my motto, although I weaken from time to time. Best wishes to you and wishing you a good day today, a precious thing.

12. WA123

WA123 Registered User

Jan 20, 2018
    Hi everyone. My husband was diagnosed with dementia the week before Christmas although I think we had both had our suspicions for a while. He is 58 and I am 57. We met at school and started going out when I was 15 and he was 17. have now been together 42 years and I'm finding it difficult to come to terms with the fact that we won't grow old together. Am trying to stay positive and I regularly list all the good things in our lives but sometimes it's really hard. I found Talking Point by accident and have followed posts over the past few weeks. It's good to know it's not just me.

13. Shedrech

Shedrech Volunteer Moderator

Dec 15, 2012
    Yorkshire
    hello @WA123
    welcome to TP
    I remember first finding TP and the relief I felt as I read around and realised there were others who understood the situation dad and I were facing
    what a long history you and your husband have together - I know your idea of your future has altered, but I hope sharing experiences here will help support you both
    so settle in and start your own thread when you're ready

14. Ellen 1974

Ellen 1974 New member

Mar 4, 2018
    Hello, my mum has been having memory problems for I would say 18 months. As she has also been having issues with depression she was referred to First Steps for counselling They went on to refer her for a brain scan. We saw a consultant psychiatrist on Friday. He told us that the scan showed an indication of Alzheimers. The psychiatrist is going to increase her antidepressants then in 2 weeks start her on medication for the Alzheimers. I don't know what to do to help - if anything. I feel totally overwhelmed. I have scoured the Internet but there's so much information I don't know where to start so thought here would be a good idea. How can I support her. X

15. nae sporran

Oct 29, 2014
    Male
    Bristol
    Hullo and welcome to Talking Point @Ellen 1974. It is a lot to take in, but you have certainly found a good place for information and advice.
    Can I recommend a couple of websites and links which you may find helpful https://forum.alzheimers.org.uk/threads/factsheet-and-website-a-z.103617/
    and https://www.alzheimers.org.uk/info/20001/get_support.
    Your local carers support centre may be helpful for support groups which I have found to be invaluable : https://carers.org/ cares trust.
    I hope those will help you find some of what you need, but post anything you need or want on here when you're ready.

16. carolynp

carolynp Registered User

Mar 4, 2018
    Oh thank you so much for your lovely welcome! I'm about to have a go at posting a new thread ... daunting! Meanwhile, thank you so much. It's hard, when our thoughts are so dominated by care for another, NOT to talk about it a lot. But I guess for our own sake, too, we need somehow to turn our minds to ourselves - our selves - and otherwise resort to TP, where no one minds and where talking about our situation is actively encouraged! I hope you also have a good day when morning comes.

17. Oasis2

Oasis2 Registered User

Mar 5, 2018
    Hi I've decided to join TP, as I'm struggling as of late with my situation. My mom is now 68 and has frontal lobe dementia. She was diagnosed back in 2009,she was sent home from hospital 2 years ago on end of life, she's still hanging on to this day. she is now in the final stage. Bed bound, her one leg is stuck bent, you can't straighten it, she is asleep I'd say 90% of the time,if not more, she's so frail and yet she's still here. She is still at home and my Dad cares for her, he is still in denial about that this is it. I can't get my head around how she is still here. I know I'm not the only person who is in this situation, and I know everyone deals with things in their own way. It's just getting to me at the moment.

18. chris53

chris53 Registered User

Nov 9, 2009
    London
    Good Afternoon Oasis2, so sorry you are struggling now after so many years,the willpower of our loved ones not to let go and be at peace,at times is so difficult to accept and it's so hard just watching and waiting,although it's maybe a relief that mom is at home rather then in hospital as she is managing to rest, is there any chance you could get someone to sit with her to give you and dad a little bit of time to try to talk about the future? There is usually someone around on TP day or night so please talk whenever needed,If you ever find that you need to have a chat with someone offline,you might consider giving the helpline a ring. They are very experienced and I'm sure will be of help.
    National Dementia Helpline
    0300 222 11 22
    Helpline opening hours:
    Monday to Wednesday 9am – 8pm
    Thursday and Friday 9am – 5pm
    Saturday and Sunday 10am – 4pm
    Take care - Chris

19. megan10

megan10 New member

Feb 23, 2018
    Hello
    I am new to this forum,I am so glad I have found it, reading some of the posts it has been a relief to know that we are all going through the same issues.
    My 90 year old mum who lives with me has got worse with her confusion over the last 6 months, she is better during the day but sundowning in the evening, wants to go home( to a home she was born in) looking in all the rooms for people that have been dead for 30 years,every night when I put her to bed she gets upset and she wants me to sleep with her I try to reassure her that I am in the next room but it take a while for her to settle.
    I have carers twice a week for 2 hours so I can walk my dogs ( they are my sanity )
    Looking forward to joining you all .
    X

20. Izzy

Izzy Volunteer Moderator

Aug 31, 2003
    Female
    Dundee
    Hi @megan10 and welcome to Talking Point.

I'm glad you found the forum and I'm sure you find lots of help and support here.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.