Welcome to Talking Point! Find out more and say hello...

Status
Not open for further replies.

Mark_W

Sep 28, 2015
London
Welcome to Talking Point :)

If you have dementia, or care for someone who does, you're very welcome to join our community and get support from others. Find out more about how to join and say hi to our friendly community on this discussion!

Finding out more

If you've got questions about how to use Talking Point click on these links below.
  • You can find answers to frequently asked questions here.
  • Our Help videos will show you how to navigate the different areas of Talking Point.
  • We also have a Quick Guide explaining how to use Talking Point including logging in, posting, replying, checking private messages and searching.
  • Also we recommend having a read through our Guidelines which are some useful tips and things to remember when posting.

Connecting with others

Head over to our list of forums to find people who are in a similar situation, people at a similar stage of dementia or an information topic that interests you.

Here are some tips on how to post a reply or start your own discussion...

1. When you're in a forum, look for the blue "Post New Thread" or "Reply" buttons at the top or bottom of discussions

post a thread smaller screen.png

reply to thread smaller screen.png

2. To start a discussion, type a title, add your message and choose 'Create Thread'.

create thread smaller screen.png

3. To add a reply just add your message and choose "Reply"

reply screen smaller screen.png

---

Any questions?

If you have any questions about using Talking Point, you can email us on talkingpoint@alzheimers.org.uk or Use our Contact Form - we're here to help.

Saying hello

This is our welcome thread - the place many members start. Our volunteer hosts and regular members are here to say hello to you and to welcome you to our community.

Why not tell us a little about your experience and how you'd like Talking Point to help you?

Whatever you're facing today, we hope you find our community to be helpful and supportive.

Mark :)

Asmile

Jan 23, 2019
Whitley bay
Hello Im first time on here after scrolling through internet searching for some guidance on how my 2 daughters can help/assist their dad who has lost reason or knowledge of how he’s behaving still lives in family house but in one room & still hoards everything & anything has been in 2 fires through candles authorities all saying his life choices

Grannie G

Volunteer Moderator
Apr 3, 2006
Kent
Hello @Asmile Welcome to Talking Point.

If your daughters` dad does not have a diagnosis or is still considered to have capacity I doubt there is much anyone can do.

The only hope you may have is if you can convince the authorities not only is he presenting a fire hazard to himself but also to anyone else who lives in the house.

CathyJ

Jan 25, 2019
Hi, My parents both 87 have been married for 66 years, my Mum has many health issues and is very frail, but they were managing until my Dads recent diagnoses of Alzheimer's. He has been on pills to slow the process, my brother and I live very close and pop in often every day. the DVLA removed his driving licence but he wouldnt stop driving, only to the corner shop but still, the decision was made to remove the car but this has caused huge trouble, he hates the family calling us traitors, insists he still has a licence producing the one we should have returned to the DVLA, he threatens to smash the house and throw my mum out, we know that's not my dad talking but when will it end?

karaokePete

Jul 23, 2017
N Ireland
Hello @CathyJ, you are welcome here and I hope you find the forum to be a friendly and supportive place.

Maybe a chat with the GP would get you some help to see your Dad through this phase, which often causes difficulties.

Do take a good look around the site as it is a goldmine for information. When I first joined I read old threads for information but then found the AS Publications list and the page where a post code search can be done to check for support services in ones own area. If you are interested in these, clicking the following links will take you there

https://www.alzheimers.org.uk/get-support/publications-factsheets-full-list

https://www.alzheimers.org.uk/find-support-near-you

You will see that there are Factsheets that will help with things like getting care needs assessments, deciding the level of care required and sorting out useful things like Wills, Power of Attorney etc.

Now that you have found us I hope you will keep posting as the membership has vast collective knowledge and experience.

Dorsetdoll

Jan 25, 2019
Hi I came across this while looking at paranoia in Alzheimer's as we are increasingly struggling with mum. She's 95 and at home with 5 care visits a day. She says people are always knocking on her windows and tonight she says she went to the door and a man was there. We are at our witzend now. She's on the phone all the time and had a firearms police unit out a few nights ago. We have got to the point where we so.etimes unplug our phone at bedtime but then my friend or our daughter get called out. I feel so desperate. Mum is wrecking our lives. We're retired and under the cosh with grandchildren to help look after too. Just feel I need a word of understanding ...

nae sporran

Oct 29, 2014
Bristol
Welcome to the forum @Dorsetdoll. Sorry I have no personal experience of paranoia to that extent, but delusions and stress are hard to deal with as carers. I hope you can find something in your research, though someone with direct experience is always around to help.

nellbelles

Volunteer Host
Nov 6, 2008
leicester

Sparkeswatts

Feb 1, 2019
Hi there everyone. New to here and not good with forums.
Looking to learn more about this Amaloid protein that's invaded my brain. So Early Onset Alzheimers is real and I have it. So I'm 64 and wondering how others are coping.

Sharda

Feb 1, 2019
Hi everyone
I am a new member and I have been a volunteer with the Alzheimer's Society since July 2017. Prior to that my late mother had dementia and the conflicting advice we were given was mind boggling. Currently I have a friend who has dementia and although I have gained an enormous amount of information in the past two years, I want to find out more and share advice and best practice from those living with the condition. I knew about Talking Point but had not joined before. Having read some of the posts/threads today, I wish I had done so earlier and now I will do everything to promote Talking Point and your fantastic community.

Pop66

Feb 1, 2019
Hello, I'm new and nervous about my first contact but have been looking at tp over the past few.months. My hubbie was diagnosed 12 months ago with vascular dementia and, last week, with Lewy Body thus is diagnosis is now mixed dementia We have 2 daughters, 18 and 23, and have a endured a roller coaster of a year. He has deteriorated so rapidly and, the reason I posted tonight was that his accusations about me, finally caused the 28 year old to be in floods of tears stating that "we aren't a family anymore". It's a tough day

nae sporran

Oct 29, 2014
Bristol
Welcome to TP @Pop66. Your poor daughter has had a horrible day, as have you. Sadly these kind of things are not uncommon and it hurts every time my partner accuses me of chasing floosies when I only popped out to the shop.
You will find a lot of support and help here, sorry I can't offer more than a warm welcome.

Pop66

Feb 1, 2019
Thank you so much for your kind words, it really does help to know that others have an actual understanding of the effects of this relentless situation...

Bee Bumble

Jan 29, 2019
Hello, This is my first post and I hope I'm doing this it the right way and in the right place. My husband was diagnosed with Alzheimer's two weeks ago, he's been not himself for a while now but he had ups and down times and I felt awful even thinking he had problems. I was a carer for my step mother so am aware of what the future may hold, lt's like a bad dream. Last night he forgot my name, called me his lovely wife instead, then asked me not to worry about it, bless him. Thank you.

nae sporran

Oct 29, 2014
Bristol
Welcome to the forums @Bee Bumble. So much to deal with for a second time, but you've found a good place with people who understand and I hope you'll come back to for support and advice.

karaokePete

Jul 23, 2017
N Ireland
Hello and welcome @Elizabeth25.

I see that you have now managed to open a thread so I hope you get replies.

Now that you have found us I hope you will keep posting as the membership has vast collective knowledge and experience.

Izzy

Volunteer Moderator
Aug 31, 2003
Dundee
I'm thinking you want to start your own discussion thread. Go to the home page -

https://forum.alzheimers.org.uk/

1. Find a forum that is relevant for you [e.g. I care for a person with dementia ]

2. At the top, you'll see a button called 'Post New Thread' - click or tap on this.

3. Add a discussion title and below, add your message. Then click or tap the [Submit thread] OR [Create Thread] button.

I hope that helps!

Edit - oops! I cross posted with Pete and didn't realise you had already started a thread @Elizabeth25 Sorry!

Status
Not open for further replies.