Welcome to Talking Point! Find out more and say hello...

Status
Not open for further replies.

karaokePete

Jul 23, 2017
N Ireland
Hello @Runragged, you are welcome here and I hope you find the forum to be a friendly and supportive place.

What you describe is, unfortunately, all too common. It is important to get a diagnosis as that may open up medication and care that you will all need if this continues for long.

When it comes to getting a parent to the GP it is sometimes useful to contact the Dr with details of all concerns and behaviours and then collude with the GP about getting your mother called in on the pretext of a check-up of some sort. Sometimes the older generation will obey the GP, even when family are being refused.

Apart from that, do take a good look around the site as it is a goldmine for information. When I first joined I read old threads for information but then found the AS Publications list and the page where a post code search can be done to check for support services in ones own area. If you are interested in these, clicking the following links will take you there

https://www.alzheimers.org.uk/get-support/publications-factsheets-full-list

https://www.alzheimers.org.uk/find-support-near-you

You will see that there are Factsheets that will help with things like getting a diagnosis, care needs assessments, deciding the level of care required and sorting out useful things like Wills, Power of Attorney etc.

Now that you have found us I hope you will keep posting as the membership has vast collective knowledge and experience.

canary

Feb 25, 2014
South coast
Hello @Runragged and welcome to Talking Point. Your post is just fine, so dont worry about it.

Unfortunately I think we all recognise the things that your mum is doing and not being able to get them to the GP is a regular concern. I think you and your sister have done well coping with all of this. Being up multiple times during the night is energy sapping.

I would suggest that you write a letter to your mums GP outlining all the problems that concern you (much like your post) so that s/he is aware of the problems. You will probably have to be sneaky about getting your mum to the doctors. Many GPs are willing to offer a "well woman" clinic appointment ;);) in order to get her there so that they can do some blood checks to eliminate other conditions and also to do some memory tests. If your GP wont do this, could you get an appointment on the pretext of some other problem that might concern her?

Status
Not open for further replies.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
NorfolkRambler