Welcome to my world of dementia

Norrms

Feb 19, 2009
Torquay Devon
WELCOME TO MY WORLD OF DEMENTIA

Please, step this way and i will try and show you what it's really like to have dementia.

Oops! Mind your step please, that's what we call spatial awareness, what that means is sometimes you don't always see what's in front of you and tend to miss the steps going up or coming down so be careful. Pardon? You can't see properly? Does it feel like you have net curtains in front of your eyes? Yes, well that's perfectly normal for those with dementia, looking out on life seems so distorted sometimes, just dementia playing tricks on you. Please take a seat, OH OH ! Be careful you nearly missed the seat then, make sure it's right behind you before you sit as it can sometimes seem nearer than you think.

Would you like a drink ? There you go, a nice glass of cool water, sorry? You can't see it? Oh, I am so sorry, what was I thinking? that's because I have put it in a clear glass, here you go, it's in a nice coloured vessel now, is that easier to see? I am so pleased. What? Who's that at the window?? Oh please don't worry, it's probably dementia playing its tricks on you, come on let's go out for a bit of something to eat. Here you are, here's your coat, please don't worry you will find the arms soon, i will help, there you go! It doesn't matter how long it takes we will get there.

There you go, all inside the car, please put your seat belt on, Sorry? Hang on i will get out and put it on for you, it’s a bit of a BUG***R this dementia aint it? There you go, that's better, off we go.

WHOA!!! That’s the door handle not the window, please don't open that if you can remember, i know its hard. I am so pleased you feel better getting out and about, and i know how much you like watching the world go by, let’s have a drive over the moors before we go to town. Yes, it’s beautiful isn't it? The moors just go on forever, what? You feel as if you can breathe easier and see better out here, well that's wonderful, let’s go and get some lunch in town.

Here we go, wait!! Please wait until i stop the car before you get out and please stay on the pavement till we cross to the cafe. I know you don't like me holding your hand and i know you are not a child but i need to keep you safe, WHOA!! Phew that was close, you didn't see that car? That why i need to hold onto you, so sorry didn't mean to shout, just frightened for you, come on let's get something to eat.

What's the matter? You look petrified? Shhh , here, hold my hand and close your eyes for just 5 seconds, 1 2 3 4 5 now open them again, see? there are no snakes or serpents coming out of the carpet, it's just the pattern and your dementia playing up again. Why are you stepping over things that aren't there? oh, i see, its the blue in the carpet, what? it looks like puddles of water? yes, I can see what you mean,

What would you like? What do i think you want? How would i know? You want egg chips and beans, that's wonderful, would you like to order when the waiteress comes? Here she is.

No, he hasn't had a drink and hasn't got a speech impediment thank you, waitress!! He has dementia and mixes his words up sometimes, please don't worry it's not your fault, you don't know what you don't know I will drop some leaflets off. That was quick, here's your lunch, yes that's your knife on the right and fork on the left, don't worry about it. OOOPS missed your mouth? i do that so many times and please don't worry about the spillage, it will wash. No, i am sure the next table isn't looking at you and if they are then they are only curious and uneducated about those of us with dementia. Be careful that tea is hot, should have really got you a cold drink, .

I can see you yawning, are you tired? I know you feel you shouldn't be but it’s what happens, so much going on is bound to take it out of you. Here we go, back in the car now, sorry? You don't know where you are?? That’s ok, you're in your local town centre and we have just had lunch, Yes we really have and you enjoyed it LOL. Yes, i will take you home now, what do you mean you don't live here? You do my friend, come on in and sit down. Please don't cry it's been such a good day really, believe me, it could have been a lot worse, I know your frightened and frustrated and don't ever think you are on your own, there are millions of us s around the world just like us. Sundowning is horrible, we must try and explain to all what it’s like, its happens most afternoons so I must ask your loved ones/carer to change all your appointments to “AM “so it's easier for you, you are the most important person in all this, and the best thing is try and have a nap for an hour,

Goodbye my friend, Till next time

Norrms

lollyc

Sep 9, 2020

Please, step this way and i will try and show you what it's really like to have dementia.

Oops! Mind your step please, that's what we call spatial awareness, what that means is sometimes you don't always see what's in front of you and tend to miss the steps going up or coming down so be careful. Pardon? You can't see properly? Does it feel like you have net curtains in front of your eyes? Yes, well that's perfectly normal for those with dementia, looking out on life seems so distorted sometimes, just dementia playing tricks on you. Please take a seat, OH OH ! Be careful you nearly missed the seat then, make sure it's right behind you before you sit as it can sometimes seem nearer than you think.

Would you like a drink ? There you go, a nice glass of cool water, sorry? You can't see it? Oh, I am so sorry, what was I thinking? that's because I have put it in a clear glass, here you go, it's in a nice coloured vessel now, is that easier to see? I am so pleased. What? Who's that at the window?? Oh please don't worry, it's probably dementia playing its tricks on you, come on let's go out for a bit of something to eat. Here you are, here's your coat, please don't worry you will find the arms soon, i will help, there you go! It doesn't matter how long it takes we will get there.

There you go, all inside the car, please put your seat belt on, Sorry? Hang on i will get out and put it on for you, it’s a bit of a BUG***R this dementia aint it? There you go, that's better, off we go.

WHOA!!! That’s the door handle not the window, please don't open that if you can remember, i know its hard. I am so pleased you feel better getting out and about, and i know how much you like watching the world go by, let’s have a drive over the moors before we go to town. Yes, it’s beautiful isn't it? The moors just go on forever, what? You feel as if you can breathe easier and see better out here, well that's wonderful, let’s go and get some lunch in town.

Here we go, wait!! Please wait until i stop the car before you get out and please stay on the pavement till we cross to the cafe. I know you don't like me holding your hand and i know you are not a child but i need to keep you safe, WHOA!! Phew that was close, you didn't see that car? That why i need to hold onto you, so sorry didn't mean to shout, just frightened for you, come on let's get something to eat.

What's the matter? You look petrified? Shhh , here, hold my hand and close your eyes for just 5 seconds, 1 2 3 4 5 now open them again, see? there are no snakes or serpents coming out of the carpet, it's just the pattern and your dementia playing up again. Why are you stepping over things that aren't there? oh, i see, its the blue in the carpet, what? it looks like puddles of water? yes, I can see what you mean,

What would you like? What do i think you want? How would i know? You want egg chips and beans, that's wonderful, would you like to order when the waiteress comes? Here she is.

No, he hasn't had a drink and hasn't got a speech impediment thank you, waitress!! He has dementia and mixes his words up sometimes, please don't worry it's not your fault, you don't know what you don't know I will drop some leaflets off. That was quick, here's your lunch, yes that's your knife on the right and fork on the left, don't worry about it. OOOPS missed your mouth? i do that so many times and please don't worry about the spillage, it will wash. No, i am sure the next table isn't looking at you and if they are then they are only curious and uneducated about those of us with dementia. Be careful that tea is hot, should have really got you a cold drink, .

I can see you yawning, are you tired? I know you feel you shouldn't be but it’s what happens, so much going on is bound to take it out of you. Here we go, back in the car now, sorry? You don't know where you are?? That’s ok, you're in your local town centre and we have just had lunch, Yes we really have and you enjoyed it LOL. Yes, i will take you home now, what do you mean you don't live here? You do my friend, come on in and sit down. Please don't cry it's been such a good day really, believe me, it could have been a lot worse, I know your frightened and frustrated and don't ever think you are on your own, there are millions of us s around the world just like us. Sundowning is horrible, we must try and explain to all what it’s like, its happens most afternoons so I must ask your loved ones/carer to change all your appointments to “AM “so it's easier for you, you are the most important person in all this, and the best thing is try and have a nap for an hour,

Norrms
Norrms, I wish I seen something like this 5 years ago, when Mum's dementia began. I have not been a kind or patient carer, because I really didn't uderstand how she viewed the world, and she couldn't articulate it.
Thank you for expalining the view from the other side.

Dunroamin

May 5, 2019
UK
Thank you Norms for this. I thought it was just me with the glasses of water. We dont have a matching set left in the house! Will sen d my OH out to get a couple of coloured ones for me.

Roman223

Dec 29, 2020
Thank you Norrms! This will help when I visit my mum. I have been wondering how she really views the world and how she thinks. It's very helpful to view it from the Dementia side. I am sure it has opened alot of the members eyes on here. x

DreamsAreReal

Oct 17, 2015
@Normms, your posts are always very interesting. Do you mind me asking, what does sundowning feel like? Is it like bad anxiety? Or worse? Don’t answer if you don’t want to. I can’t ask Mum, because of course “there’s nothing wrong” with her.

Dbno

Jun 19, 2021
I wish I could participate in any kind of life. I cannot. I just sit or lay in bed all day. It’s disgusting. You’re better off than you know .

Last edited:

Norrms

Feb 19, 2009
Torquay Devon
@Normms, your posts are always very interesting. Do you mind me asking, what does sundowning feel like? Is it like bad anxiety? Or worse? Don’t answer if you don’t want to. I can’t ask Mum, because of course “there’s nothing wrong” with her.
Its a mixture of anxiety, frustration and confusion is the best way i can put it xxxxxxx

Sheps

Jan 12, 2022
Taunton Somerset

Norrms
Thank you for the excellent letters you wrote
I have thought for sometime that this was what was wrong with me and my GP confirmed when we spoke on the phone today
I had an MRI head and completed (crapily ) the cognitive assessments
Kind regards

Norrms

Feb 19, 2009
Torquay Devon
Thank you for the excellent letters you wrote
I have thought for sometime that this was what was wrong with me and my GP confirmed when we spoke on the phone today
I had an MRI head and completed (crapily ) the cognitive assessments
Kind regards
Your very welcome xx

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
suehart