• All threads and posts regarding Coronavirus COVID-19 can be found in our area specifically for Coronavirus COVID-19 discussion.

You can directly access this area >here<.

Welcome to Dementia Talking Point! Find out more and say hello.

HarrietD

Administrator
Staff member
Apr 29, 2014
London
Welcome to Dementia Talking Point :)

If you have dementia, or care for someone who does, you're very welcome to join our community and get support from others. Find out more about how to join and say hi to our friendly community on this discussion!

Finding out more

If you've got questions about how to use Dementia Talking Point click on these links below.
  • You can find answers to frequently asked questions here.
  • Our Help videos will show you how to navigate the different areas of Dementia Talking Point.
  • We also have a Quick Guide explaining how to use Dementia Talking Point including logging in, posting, replying, checking private messages and searching.
  • Also we recommend having a read through our Guidelines which are some useful tips and things to remember when posting.

Connecting with others

Head over to our list of forums to find people who are in a similar situation, people at a similar stage of dementia or an information topic that interests you.

Here are some tips on how to post a reply or start your own discussion...

1. When you're in a forum, look for the blue "Post New Thread" or "Reply" buttons at the top or bottom of discussions

post-a-thread-smaller-screen-png.61226

reply-to-thread-smaller-screen-png.61227

2. To start a discussion, type a title, add your message and choose 'Create Thread'.

create-thread-smaller-screen-png.61225

3. To add a reply just add your message and choose "Reply"

reply-screen-smaller-screen-png.61228

---

Any questions?

If you have any questions about using Dementia Talking Point, you can email us on talkingpoint@alzheimers.org.uk or Use our Contact Form - we're here to help.

Saying hello

This is our welcome thread - the place many members start. Our volunteer hosts and regular members are here to say hello to you and to welcome you to our community.

Why not tell us a little about your experience and how you'd like Dementia Talking Point to help you?

Whatever you're facing today, we hope you find our community to be helpful and supportive.

Harriet :)

Maxxie

Jul 21, 2022
Hi Everyone, Have just joined the forum although I've been lurking for quite a while. It's by far the most informative Dementia site I've found, and you all seem so caring, helpful and understanding with one another, so much so that I find myself here every night reading your posts (& shedding a few tears).
I'm sole carer for my husband who's had advanced Parkinson's Disease Dementia for over 4 yrs, and many of the issues we're facing , despite my best intentions, I seem to be failing miserably in handling - but determined to pull up those big girl pants and do better.

Bimbling along!

Jul 21, 2022
Hello there. I've found this forum really helpful for sharing information, advice and also feeling less alone with regards to navigating dementia care, so thank you for existing and for helping in what feels like some incredibly tough life stuff!

My mother has fronto-temporal dementia, diagnosed in 2018 but she knew there was something wrong years before but it took about 7 years to get a formal diagnosis. She lives at home with my father, and I've recently moved so I can be here to help with her care. I also think my father needs the support too, though he's never said, and I think it helps me too. It's so painful to be far away, and it's painful to see dementia close up- but I'd much rather be here to help as I can, and I'm in the position to, whereas it's more difficult for my brothers with living abroad/jobs etc.

My mother is pretty much non-verbal though responds to music/ songs and I'm learning to pick up on body language and non-verbal cues to work out what she may want/need. Music and especially singing, has always been a part of my Mum's life so I use music and songs to try to find as many moments of joy we can, each day. I now accept that some days are more joyful than others, and don't beat myself when things don't go as planned!

One thing I find particularly challenging is demystifying dementia to family/family friends etc.
Some days I have the energy to do it and explain what FTD is and how it's different to alzheimer's and all the other dementia types but on other days I silently curse people for being so insensitive with their (well-meaning but often mis-timed) comments and questions. This is all part of my own learning too- and what I now realise is part of the tangled tapestry of the disease and its effects. We're caring for someone with a disease but we're also dealing with other people's reactions and their feelings about the disease- which can often feel like just another thing to shoulder along the way.

I'm here to learn, share, and support where I can! x

Grannie G

Volunteer Moderator
Apr 3, 2006
Kent
Welcome @Maxxie and @Bimbling along!

I hope you will both find the support here helpful and supportive.

If you start your own threads in the appropriate forums I have a partner with dementia for you @Maxxie and I care for a person with dementia for you @Bimbling along! you will be able to access all your support in one place

Beastie

Jul 30, 2022
Hi my husband has just been referred to a memory clinic after months of trying to get an appointment at his gps. We had 2 appointments with 2 sets of tests plus blood tests then they agreed he needed a referral. His mum who I looked after and grandad both had dementia so I am hoping he is just depressed and not going down the same road.
Thanks for the welcome as I really do need this forum

Izzy

Volunteer Moderator
Aug 31, 2003
Dundee
Welcome to the forum @Beastie.

I know you will be finding life hard just now. This forum is the right place to be for understanding and support.

JustEm

Aug 1, 2022
Hi Everyone, Have just joined the forum although I've been lurking for quite a while. It's by far the most informative Dementia site I've found, and you all seem so caring, helpful and understanding with one another, so much so that I find myself here every night reading your posts (& shedding a few tears).
I'm sole carer for my husband who's had advanced Parkinson's Disease Dementia for over 4 yrs, and many of the issues we're facing , despite my best intentions, I seem to be failing miserably in handling - but determined to pull up those big girl pants and do better.
Welcome Maxxie,
Please don't be hard on yourself, the fact that you are here and researching shows just how much you care and while there are bad moments and tough times I doubt that you are failing.
My Dad did the majority of the care for my Mum until it was impossible, so I can't offer much advice with that, but I do know that you have to look after yourself and try to keep a sense of humour.
I know it's not much but I read your post and just wanted to offer you a virtual hug.

adbuk

Aug 2, 2022
Hi there.

I've just joined as my Mum has recently been diagnosed with Alzheimer's and Vascular Dementia. Looking for help and guidance to navigate the coming months. Thank you.

Izzy

Volunteer Moderator
Aug 31, 2003
Dundee
Hi there.

I've just joined as my Mum has recently been diagnosed with Alzheimer's and Vascular Dementia. Looking for help and guidance to navigate the coming months. Thank you.
Welcome to the forum @adbuk.

I’m sorry to read about your mum’s diagnosis but I’m really glad you’ve found this forum. There’s always someone here to listen and to support. Once you have had a look around you might want to consider starting your own thread in the I Care For A Person With Dementia area of the forum. That way you’d be able to keep all of your thoughts, questions and concerns together.

Keep posting.

adbuk

Aug 2, 2022
Welcome to the forum @adbuk.

I’m sorry to read about your mum’s diagnosis but I’m really glad you’ve found this forum. There’s always someone here to listen and to support. Once you have had a look around you might want to consider starting your own thread in the I Care For A Person With Dementia area of the forum. That way you’d be able to keep all of your thoughts, questions and concerns together.

Keep posting.
Thank you, Izzy. I shall do just that. Feeling a bit lost at the moment, especially with so many resources, some free, some paid and not knowing which way to turn.

Izzy

Volunteer Moderator
Aug 31, 2003
Dundee
Thank you, Izzy. I shall do just that. Feeling a bit lost at the moment, especially with so many resources, some free, some paid and not knowing which way to turn.

Lots of information and links to resources here but I won’t bombard you with any just now! Once you have time to think about what you want to know people will point you in the right direction and offer advice from their own experiences.

adbuk

Aug 2, 2022
Lots of information and links to resources here but I won’t bombard you with any just now! Once you have time to think about what you want to know people will point you in the right direction and offer advice from their own experiences.
Perfect!

I've started a new thread as you suggest and shall see what unfolds. Thanks again.

Izzy

Volunteer Moderator
Aug 31, 2003
Dundee
Perfect!

I've started a new thread as you suggest and shall see what unfolds. Thanks again.

Excellent!

For others who might want to reply here’s the link to the new thread -

goose64

Aug 2, 2022
Hi

I've just joined this as my mother-in-law had middle/advanced Alzheimer's an we believe she's trying to starve herself to death filling my father-in-law death recently I've started a thread on it

Izzy

Volunteer Moderator
Aug 31, 2003
Dundee
Hi

I've just joined this as my mother-in-law had middle/advanced Alzheimer's an we believe she's trying to starve herself to death filling my father-in-law death recently I've started a thread on it

Welcome to the forum @goose64. It’s good to hear that youi’ve started your own thread.

MrsBear

Aug 6, 2022
Hello. My dad has Alzheimer's, he's 84 and lives at home with my mam, who's 81 and his carer. He was diagnosed about 4 years ago but I suspect his condition started a little while before then. It's getting harder for my mam and I've joined this community, hoping I can pick up some tips and advice from others going through similar circumstances. Thank you, take care everyone x

Slipstitch

Jun 17, 2022
I'm not sure if I'm posting this in the right place but I can't work out where else to post it.
How does a 'new user' become a 'registered user' and what's the difference?

Sarasa

Volunteer Host
Apr 13, 2018
Nottinghamshire
Hi @Slipstitch and welcome to Dementia Talking Point.
A new user becomes a registered one when you've made ten posts. Until then you can't post links and it helps hosts and mods spot who is new, but other than that there is no real difference.