Welcome to Dementia Talking Point! Find out more and say hello.

Status
Not open for further replies.

HarrietD

Staff Member
Staff member
Apr 29, 2014
London
Welcome to Dementia Talking Point :)

If you have dementia, or care for someone who does, you're very welcome to join our community and get support from others. Find out more about how to join and say hi to our friendly community on this discussion!

Finding out more

If you've got questions about how to use Dementia Talking Point click on these links below.
  • You can find answers to frequently asked questions here.
  • Our Help videos will show you how to navigate the different areas of Dementia Talking Point.
  • We also have a Quick Guide explaining how to use Dementia Talking Point including logging in, posting, replying, checking private messages and searching.
  • Also we recommend having a read through our Guidelines which are some useful tips and things to remember when posting.

Connecting with others

Head over to our list of forums to find people who are in a similar situation, people at a similar stage of dementia or an information topic that interests you.

Here are some tips on how to post a reply or start your own discussion...

1. When you're in a forum, look for the blue "Post New Thread" or "Reply" buttons at the top or bottom of discussions

post-a-thread-smaller-screen-png.61226

reply-to-thread-smaller-screen-png.61227

2. To start a discussion, type a title, add your message and choose 'Create Thread'.

create-thread-smaller-screen-png.61225

3. To add a reply just add your message and choose "Reply"

reply-screen-smaller-screen-png.61228

---

Any questions?

If you have any questions about using Dementia Talking Point, you can email us on talkingpoint@alzheimers.org.uk or Use our Contact Form - we're here to help.

Saying hello

This is our welcome thread - the place many members start. Our volunteer hosts and regular members are here to say hello to you and to welcome you to our community.

Why not tell us a little about your experience and how you'd like Dementia Talking Point to help you?

Whatever you're facing today, we hope you find our community to be helpful and supportive.

Harriet :)

EmmaVictoria

May 19, 2022
Hello I'm Emma my husband was diagnosed with Young Onset in January. He's actually 69 now but was previously diagnosed with ADHD and PTSD and whilst these are clearly present its masked a lot of the Alzheimers. He's super physically fit though struggling cognitively. We are well supported through Dementia Forward. I'm keen to have more UK based knowledge and experience from others ahead of us on our journey. We've been married less than a year - it's not been the start to married life we envisaged and we are determined to live our best lives!

Emma

karaokePete

Jul 23, 2017
N Ireland
Hello @EmmaVictoria, you are welcome here and I hope you find the forum to be a friendly and supportive place.

I hope you have time to take a good look around the site as it is a goldmine for information. When I first joined I read old threads for information but then found the AS Publications list and the page where a post code search can be done to check for support services in ones own area. If you are interested in these, clicking the following links will take you there

https://www.alzheimers.org.uk/get-support/publications-factsheets-full-list

https://www.alzheimers.org.uk/find-support-near-you

You will see that there are Factsheets that will help with things like getting care needs assessments, deciding the level of care required and sorting out useful things like Wills, Power of Attorney etc., if any of that hasn't already been done. There is also a Dementia Guide in the list.

Now that you have found us I hope you will keep posting as the membership has vast collective knowledge and experience.

Jenny888

May 18, 2022
Hello, my name is Jenny and I am LPA for my step grandmother.
She lives approx. 1,5 hrs drive away from me in her own little bungalow where she has lived since the 1960’s. I have only known her for 20 of her soon 91 years and we have become friends through visits I have made throughout the years. She has been a widow for 15+ years and is very private and independent. She was diagnosed with Alzeimers and mixed dementia 5 years ago and her illlness has progressed. She has been assessed for mental capacity and failed due to very poor short and long term memory. Despite this, she is convinced she is managing fine. Alas, she is not and it has been agreed with adult social services that only 24/7 care would fulfill her needs now. I cannot convince her that she needs more help as she denies that she even has carers currently visiting 3 times a day. I manage all her finances and have done for over a year. It is such a tricky situation where I struggle to find a solution.

Thanks for reading,
Je

Izzy

Volunteer Moderator
Aug 31, 2003
Dundee
Welcome to the forum @Jenny888.

It sounds like you are in a really difficult situation. I’m glad you‘ve found this forum. I know you will get lots of support and understanding here.

GingerWakefield

May 26, 2022
Hi everyone. This looks like a great forum to join. My Mum has been diagnosed with Vascular dementia, which has started to have a drastic impact over the last few months. It feels like she has deteriorated really quickly. My Dad is the main carer and it is having a big impact on him as he is in his 80’s.. I can’t help as much as I’d like to as I live a distance away and work full time.
I’m looking forward to learning more from this forum and sharing support to others where I can. Thanks for reading

Izzy

Volunteer Moderator
Aug 31, 2003
Dundee
Hi everyone. This looks like a great forum to join. My Mum has been diagnosed with Vascular dementia, which has started to have a drastic impact over the last few months. It feels like she has deteriorated really quickly. My Dad is the main carer and it is having a big impact on him as he is in his 80’s.. I can’t help as much as I’d like to as I live a distance away and work full time.
I’m looking forward to learning more from this forum and sharing support to others where I can. Thanks for reading

Welcome tot he forum. I'm glad you have found the forum and I know that you will get lots of support and understanding here.

Katie C

May 31, 2022
Hi, thank you for the warm welcome.

My Mum was diagnosed with Alzheimer's in November and I have just been signposted to this forum.

Katie

Shedrech

Dec 15, 2012
UK
Hello @Katie C
A warm welcome to DTP

I'm glad you were guided here as members are supportive and have a wealth of experience to share

Do have a mooch around the threads and now you've started, keep posting

Udy

Jun 1, 2022
My name is Judith and I am a caregiver for my spouse who was officially diagnosed with dementia 10 months ago although I believe things began 5 or 6 years ago. The confusion seems to have accelerated in the past week and I am feeling pretty alone in this battle. It is so sad to see little parts of him disappearing. I hope to find support and helpful information thru this site.

Izzy

Volunteer Moderator
Aug 31, 2003
Dundee
My name is Judith and I am a caregiver for my spouse who was officially diagnosed with dementia 10 months ago although I believe things began 5 or 6 years ago. The confusion seems to have accelerated in the past week and I am feeling pretty alone in this battle. It is so sad to see little parts of him disappearing. I hope to find support and helpful information thru this site.
Welcome to the forum.

I’m glad you’ve found us. Life with dementia is hard but here you will find lots of understanding and support here.

nae sporran

Oct 29, 2014
Bristol
Hi
My mum has recently been diagnosed with Alzheimers dementia ( 78 yrs old ) I live 200 mile away from her ?..I will probably need advice now and again
I am clueless....
Hullo and welcome @Snaredrum. You will certainly find help and advice here as you adjust to your mum's diagnosis. In case you have not had any useful leaflets explaining what is happening, this link should help you. Feel free to ask questions or let off steam on https://forum.alzheimers.org.uk/forums/i-care-for-a-person-with-dementia.70/ when you want to.

masquereader

Jun 8, 2022
Hi

My partner and I are both in our 70s and I'm pretty sure he has some form of dementia, although we're still waiting for an assessment and diagnosis. It was difficult to get him to agree to this, but fortunately (?) he also has problems with balance so I was able to put that forward as a reason, and we finally have an appointment booked. My reason for joining the forum is that living with him is becoming increasingly difficult - and of course because he's not diagnosed we are getting no support at all. It's as if the man I know and love is replaced - increasingly frequently, and for longer periods of time - by a complete stranger, who is angry, hostile and doesn't trust me at all. I don't feel under any physical threat at the moment, but he is very cruel. I'm sure he's confused and frightened inside - he was never a person to admit to anything like that - and he needs sensitive, loving care; but each time it happens it breaks my heart. I've lost the person I know, and I have to convince myself all over again that I can cope with this difficult, demanding stranger. I'm not that mentally and emotionally strong myself, and I'm really not sure that I can, long term. I have family and friends I can call on in a crisis, but it's 24/7. I still feel alone.

karaokePete

Jul 23, 2017
N Ireland
Hi

My partner and I are both in our 70s and I'm pretty sure he has some form of dementia, although we're still waiting for an assessment and diagnosis. It was difficult to get him to agree to this, but fortunately (?) he also has problems with balance so I was able to put that forward as a reason, and we finally have an appointment booked. My reason for joining the forum is that living with him is becoming increasingly difficult - and of course because he's not diagnosed we are getting no support at all. It's as if the man I know and love is replaced - increasingly frequently, and for longer periods of time - by a complete stranger, who is angry, hostile and doesn't trust me at all. I don't feel under any physical threat at the moment, but he is very cruel. I'm sure he's confused and frightened inside - he was never a person to admit to anything like that - and he needs sensitive, loving care; but each time it happens it breaks my heart. I've lost the person I know, and I have to convince myself all over again that I can cope with this difficult, demanding stranger. I'm not that mentally and emotionally strong myself, and I'm really not sure that I can, long term. I have family and friends I can call on in a crisis, but it's 24/7. I still feel alone.
Hello and welcome to the forum.

Caring for a spouse can be a lonely and thankless task, however, you have come to the right place for understanding and support.

Do have a look around the forum as there is a lot of wisdom in the threads. Feel free to ask questions and never be afraid to have a rant, if required, as everyone here will understand.

Palm

Jun 9, 2022
Hello everyone
My first time here
Mum was diagnosed almost a year ago although she was showing signs a year before
I live very close to Mum and Dad which makes things easier but it’s a whole new way of life for my family ....
Looking forward to learning from all of you
X

ChloeJ

Jun 10, 2022
Hello their I’m new I’m Chloe I’m 21 I carer for my dad who has been recently diagnosed with dementia

Izzy

Volunteer Moderator
Aug 31, 2003
Dundee
Hello their I’m new I’m Chloe I’m 21 I carer for my dad who has been recently diagnosed with dementia

Welcome to the forum @ChloeJ.

I’m sorry to hear about your dad but I’m glad you’ve found this forum. You‘’ll get lots of support and understanding here. When you’re ready you might want to think about starting your own thread in this area -

It’s a good to have a place to ask questions, share how you feel and generally get things off your chest. This way you can keep all of your responses together. In the meantime just have a look around and get familiar with the forum. Above all - keep posting!

Status
Not open for further replies.