Welcome to Dementia Talking Point! Find out more and say hello.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Shedrech

Dec 15, 2012
UK
Hello @missymissy
a warm welcome to DTP

when you're ready, do let us know about your situation as folk here will understand and offer support

have a mooch around the threads, and maybe start your own thread with whatever is on your mind

Shedrech

Dec 15, 2012
UK
Hello everyone
My first time here
Mum was diagnosed almost a year ago although she was showing signs a year before
I live very close to Mum and Dad which makes things easier but it’s a whole new way of life for my family ....
Looking forward to learning from all of you
X
Hello @Palm
a warm welcome to DTP
a diagnosis is certainly something that affects the life of every family member
I hope reading around the threads is helpful
now you've joined us, do keep posting with anything that's on your mind

gracy225

Jun 12, 2022
Greetings to Everyone! I am new to this site. Actually, that's not quite true as I had registered (approx.) a few years ago. At the time, I had no desire to do much of anything (very dark time in my life). I am so looking forward to exploring and learning from this site. xgracy

Izzy

Volunteer Moderator
Aug 31, 2003
Dundee
Welcome to posting @gracy225. I’m so glad you’ve decided to post. You’ll get lots of support and understanding here.

missymissy

Jun 11, 2022
Hello @missymissy
a warm welcome to DTP

when you're ready, do let us know about your situation as folk here will understand and offer support

have a mooch around the threads, and maybe start your own thread with whatever is on your mind
Thank you very much. My dad has dimentia and us starting to show signs of forgetting and some behavior and personality changes. My family and I need resources, helpful advice. Thank you!

Frenchie55

Jun 13, 2022
Hello,
My name is Claude, my husband Chris was diagnosed with early onset alzheimer's disease in December last year - he was 70 then, will turn 71 next week. The bottom fell out of our worl and life has been rather difficult since.
We live in France and I have managed to find English speaking practitioners to support him, and professionals to help me, but our families live in England and I feel really isolated.
I would love to exchange with any one in a similar situation as us - as far as the illness goes, not necessarily as far as geography goes ;-)
Looking forward to finding new friends ...

Shedrech

Dec 15, 2012
UK
Hello @Frenchie55
A warm welcome to DTP

It must be tough for you both being so far from family ... I'm glad you have found a good GP

I hope joining our community will help you feel less on your own as folk here are walking the same route ... so do have a read around and start a thread of your own when you're ready

m0j0r1s1n

Jun 16, 2022
Hi, my name is Gavin and my 76 y/o father has been diagnosed with Lewy Body Dementia. It's progressing quite rapidly. I'm glad I have found this group as help feels few and far between. Today my problem is "Driving" I am my Dad's primary driver and he has been told to get rid of his car, yes, it has caused a major argument.
I'll take a look through the forums for tips etc but I got to admit I'm lost. I took the car yesterday and now he won't speak to me or my mother.
I look forward to meeting and chatting with more of you.
Sorry for the questions in an intro but I really am lost atm,

Thanks,

Gavin.

canary

Feb 25, 2014
South coast
Hello Gavin @m0j0r1s1n and welcome to talking Point
Im afraid that the loss of driving is something that many people with dementia struggle to accept and many carers struggle to help them with.
It is a perennial problem and you will find lots of threads about it. If you cant find anything that answers your problems then do start a new thread.

m0j0r1s1n

Jun 16, 2022
Hello Gavin @m0j0r1s1n and welcome to talking Point
Im afraid that the loss of driving is something that many people with dementia struggle to accept and many carers struggle to help them with.
It is a perennial problem and you will find lots of threads about it. If you cant find anything that answers your problems then do start a new thread.
Thanks for the reply, greatly appreciated.

Izzy

Volunteer Moderator
Aug 31, 2003
Dundee
Welcome to the forum @m0j0r1s1n. I’m sure you’ll get lots of help and support here.

You might want to think about starting your own thread in the I Care For A Person With Dementia area of the forum.

In the meantime you might find this factsheet useful -

There’s also a factsheet on Lewy Body Dementia -

yoy

Jun 19, 2022
Hello. I am a new member. I care for my mother who has dementia. I have so many questions. Where do you start?

Izzy

Volunteer Moderator
Aug 31, 2003
Dundee
Hello. I am a new member. I care for my mother who has dementia. I have so many questions. Where do you start?
Welcome to the forum. I’m sorry to hear about your mother’s dementia but I’m really glad you found this form. I know you will get lots of support and understanding here.

You might want to start by just browsing though some of the threads but it might also be an idea to start a thread of your own. That way you can keep all of your questions and replies in one place. You might decide though just to post a new thread when you have a specific question or concerns. It’s up to you!

This might be a good area to have a look at -

Whatever you decide - keep posting!

Christine67

Jun 19, 2022
Good evening
My 84'year old mom has just been diagnosed with Alzheimer's. I think as a family we knew that's this is what it was but due to COVID-19 there was quite a wait to finally get her assessed. I have been caring for mom for the last 21 months and it became very apparent in July last year that something was not right.

Grannie G

Volunteer Moderator
Apr 3, 2006
Kent
Good evening @Christine67 Welcome.

I`m pleased you have found Dementia Talking Point soon after your mother`s diagnosis, although I sympathise deeply.

In order to get the help and support you need, please start your own Thread in the forum I care for a person with dementia here;

Status
Not open for further replies.