Welcome to Dementia Talking Point! Find out more and say hello.

Status
Not open for further replies.

SophieD

Mar 21, 2018
London
Welcome to Dementia Talking Point :)

If you have dementia, or care for someone who does, you're very welcome to join our community and get support from others. Find out more about how to join and say hi to our friendly community on this discussion!

Finding out more

If you've got questions about how to use Dementia Talking Point click on these links below.
  • You can find answers to frequently asked questions here.
  • Our Help videos will show you how to navigate the different areas of Dementia Talking Point.
  • We also have a Quick Guide explaining how to use Dementia Talking Point including logging in, posting, replying, checking private messages and searching.
  • Also we recommend having a read through our Guidelines which are some useful tips and things to remember when posting.

Connecting with others

Head over to our list of forums to find people who are in a similar situation, people at a similar stage of dementia or an information topic that interests you.

Here are some tips on how to post a reply or start your own discussion...

1. When you're in a forum, look for the blue "Post New Thread" or "Reply" buttons at the top or bottom of discussions

post-a-thread-smaller-screen-png.61226

reply-to-thread-smaller-screen-png.61227

2. To start a discussion, type a title, add your message and choose 'Create Thread'.

create-thread-smaller-screen-png.61225

3. To add a reply just add your message and choose "Reply"

reply-screen-smaller-screen-png.61228

---

Any questions?

If you have any questions about using Dementia Talking Point, you can email us on talkingpoint@alzheimers.org.uk or Use our Contact Form - we're here to help.

Saying hello

This is our welcome thread - the place many members start. Our volunteer hosts and regular members are here to say hello to you and to welcome you to our community.

Why not tell us a little about your experience and how you'd like Dementia Talking Point to help you?

Whatever you're facing today, we hope you find our community to be helpful and supportive.

Sophie :)

Kat53

Aug 18, 2021
Hi I'm Kat I'm 53 live in timaru. My dad is 89 in a care home. He has dementia and it's getting worse. I am so emotional when I think of dad and what's happening to him. I also don't get through to see him alot as I work. He is at the aggressive stage. My older sisters don't communicate with me over dad so I hear it from the nurses when I ring.

nellbelles

Volunteer Host
Nov 6, 2008
leicester
Hello @Kat53 welcome to DTP
I’m sorry to read that your sisters don’t have much contact with you and you have to rely on the nurses.
I hope now you have found the forum you will continue to post for support and to share your experiences

Mark50

Aug 20, 2021
Hi I'm Billy 53 live in Cheshire, UK. My 77 year old Mum has Dementia for a few years now the Alzheimers diagnosis was confirmed a few months ago. I am her only son and live 2 miles away with my family, I am her primary carer, morning, dinner and teatime. I do have 2 sisters one younger, living in Manchester, who has just started her own business and one older who lives in Scotland.
After me contracting COVID a couple of weeks ago and myself and family not able to care for mum for 10 days, luckily my older sister had arranged to come down to visit and stay with mum anyway. We have now decided to involve social services to help, we need some support going forward.
I have read a few post already and found some comfort that we shouldn't feel guilty asking for help.

karaokePete

Jul 23, 2017
N Ireland
Hello and welcome from me too @Mark50

If you click on the following link it will take you to the Society Publication List and you may find lots of useful information there

Madmand

Aug 26, 2021
Hope I am in the right place to introduce myself, I am 55years old diagnosed with YOAD in Jan really struggling with not driving anymore and relying on my husband and daughter to take me anywhere as we live in a little village can’t get anywhere on my own.

Izzy

Volunteer Moderator
Aug 31, 2003
Dundee
Welcome to the forum @Madmand. I’m so sorry to hear about your diagnosis. It must be really hard for you to come to terms with it all.

I’m glad you’ve found this forum as I know you will get lots of help and support here. You might find this post helpful -

Also this factsheet -

What is young onset dementia

Del Boy

Aug 26, 2021
Hi my husband was diagnosed a year ago with dementia and put on donepezil 5mg which we thought he was doing well on but then memory clinic upped it to 10 mg but it didn’t agree with him as it made him feel constantly sick. So asked if we could go back on the 5mg which we felt made quite a difference but unfortunately his heart rate went down to 52. Then he was discharged by memory clinic. Have been trying to find if there is anything else anyone can recommend that isn’t to expensive as only on a pension

Evergreen50

Apr 25, 2021
Cumbria
Hi my husband was diagnosed a year ago with dementia and put on donepezil 5mg which we thought he was doing well on but then memory clinic upped it to 10 mg but it didn’t agree with him as it made him feel constantly sick. So asked if we could go back on the 5mg which we felt made quite a difference but unfortunately his heart rate went down to 52. Then he was discharged by memory clinic. Have been trying to find if there is anything else anyone can recommend that isn’t to expensive as only on a pension
Wonder why Memory Clinic discharged your husband, had he improved.? I always request copies of letters to the GP so I know what is said and learn.

There is so much information available through the internet nowadays.
Short 2-3 minutes videos on Youtube helps to understand the changes, how to communicate, what medication is available. are there alternatives? I usually start by asking a question on the browser. There is no recognised cure. It is worth reading and relating to how it is affecting your husband.

I lost track of my husband 77 today in our local small town. He had a watch on I can track but each time I was directed to him - he had moved on !! I was not too worried, more exhausted walking from point to point. 73 with hip and buttock pain. I learnt 2 things:- Not give him too much information at one time. He had remembered the last part (appointment at surgery 12.15 eye screen) Made his way there at 11 am. The bit in the middle was meet you in the cafe at 11 for a coffee before we go there.

The other is: there is a tracker you can fasten to his belt which will send out a ping. Next task online shop.

Good News. He had been to reception had the retinal screening done and was somewhere on the way back looking for me !! WOW The girls in the pharmacy came out and ran to catch him up - reuniting us. On we go.

Sarasa

Volunteer Host
Apr 13, 2018
Nottinghamshire
Hi @Del Boy and welcome to Dementia Talking Point. Have a look around and make yourself at home. It may be worth going back to the memory clinic and asking for another appointment. If there are other things going on as well such as your husband being anxious or depressed it might be worth talking to your GP about what is out there. I'd steer clear of anything you find on the internet that asks for money.
You might like to start your own thread in I have a partner with dementia forum, as that will ensure you'll get lots of support and advice.

lemonbalm

May 21, 2018
Thanks for the welcome. I am trying to understand how to deal with this.

Hello @Snowflake57

You are in a safe and friendly place here so can feel free to ask about anything which is worrying you. Start your own thread when you are ready and you will find lots of support and advice from people who understand.

lemonbalm

May 21, 2018
Try clicking on the link below which should take you to the forum for people caring for someone with dementia, type in thread title and a text box should appear for you to write what you want to say in your post

HilaryL

Aug 29, 2021
I read how to use the site then when I go to do something I can’t remember what I have read I may give up !
I know I think I am missing something ! its been a busy day at work this morning and I am feeling weary so thats not helping x

nae sporran

Oct 29, 2014
Bristol
Hullo, HilaryL.

If you go onto https://forum.alzheimers.org.uk/forums/i-care-for-a-person-with-dementia.70/
There is a little blue box at the top of the list, marked "Post Thread"
Click on there, it should open a window to post a title And the main body of text to let you ask a question or just introduce yourself and whatever is on your mind.
After you fill that in you should see another blue box marked "Post thread". Just click on that.
I hope that helps, good luck.

Status
Not open for further replies.