Welcome to Dementia Talking Point! Find out more and say hello.

Status
Not open for further replies.

SophieD

Mar 21, 2018
London
Welcome to Dementia Talking Point :)

If you have dementia, or care for someone who does, you're very welcome to join our community and get support from others. Find out more about how to join and say hi to our friendly community on this discussion!

Finding out more

If you've got questions about how to use Dementia Talking Point click on these links below.
  • You can find answers to frequently asked questions here.
  • Our Help videos will show you how to navigate the different areas of Dementia Talking Point.
  • We also have a Quick Guide explaining how to use Dementia Talking Point including logging in, posting, replying, checking private messages and searching.
  • Also we recommend having a read through our Guidelines which are some useful tips and things to remember when posting.

Connecting with others

Head over to our list of forums to find people who are in a similar situation, people at a similar stage of dementia or an information topic that interests you.

Here are some tips on how to post a reply or start your own discussion...

1. When you're in a forum, look for the blue "Post New Thread" or "Reply" buttons at the top or bottom of discussions

post-a-thread-smaller-screen-png.61226

reply-to-thread-smaller-screen-png.61227

2. To start a discussion, type a title, add your message and choose 'Create Thread'.

create-thread-smaller-screen-png.61225

3. To add a reply just add your message and choose "Reply"

reply-screen-smaller-screen-png.61228

---

Any questions?

If you have any questions about using Dementia Talking Point, you can email us on talkingpoint@alzheimers.org.uk or Use our Contact Form - we're here to help.

Saying hello

This is our welcome thread - the place many members start. Our volunteer hosts and regular members are here to say hello to you and to welcome you to our community.

Why not tell us a little about your experience and how you'd like Dementia Talking Point to help you?

Whatever you're facing today, we hope you find our community to be helpful and supportive.

Sophie :)

Fie

Mar 17, 2021
I wanted to reply to advice given but dialogue box says I need 10 posts or something! Help!

Izzy

Volunteer Moderator
Aug 31, 2003
Dundee
I wanted to reply to advice given but dialogue box says I need 10 posts or something! Help!

Welcome t the forum @Fie.

You don’t need 10 posts to reply - you need 10 posts before you can post a link.

You just need to go to the blank box under the last post in the thread and type in this. If you want to quote another post just click on the word ‘reply’ and the post you want to quote will appear in the text box.

This video might help

Just scroll down and you will find the video on how to read and post messages.

You’ve replied to this Welcome thread so it’s just the same to post on any other thread. If you want to mention someone directly type @ before their user name and it will tag them.

I hope that makes some sense!

LunaJ

Mar 24, 2021
Hello
My Mother (80) was diagnosed yesterday with dementia. She lives alone, and I'm her only family nearby so she's extremely dependant upon me.
I have no knowledge, or experience of dementia, and have several questions that I'd be very grateful for some input on if there's anyone that can help.
Many thanks.

nae sporran

Oct 29, 2014
Bristol
Welcome to DTP @LunaJ. Sorry you have been thrown in at the deep and your mother has a new diagnosis to deal with too. We have a huge membership who have been through a few trials and tribulations around dementia and caring. There's also a lot of factsheets at http://alzheimers.org.uk/get-support/publications-factsheets
So, read around the site or ask and someone will be able to point you in the right direction. https://forum.alzheimers.org.uk/forums/i-care-for-a-person-with-dementia.70/ is a good part of the site to post in for your best chance of reaching someone.

nellbelles

Volunteer Host
Nov 6, 2008
leicester
Hello @LunaJ a warm welcome to DTP from me as well
This is a very friendly and well informed forum my suggestion is to have a good read and then start asking for advice..
I hope now you have found the forum you will continue to post for support ..

jaymor

Jul 14, 2006
South Staffordshire
Hi @LunaJ and welcome from me too.

Click on the link nae sporran has given you for I care for a person with dementia and put your questions. Then the members will be able to help you.

Valuemylife77

Mar 24, 2021
Hi everyone, I have a family member who has been living with dementia for the last 4 years. We have had to fight for his rights of privacy and a home life. Sadly he suffered an attempted break in and the family member in closest proximity facilitated a move into care. We are in lockdown in another part of the country so couldn't do anything, to stop the family member who has been aiming for this outcome for the last 3 years.

Devers

Apr 6, 2021
Thanks for welcoming me. I'm relieved to find this space hope I can get some information or advice.
My dad (60s) has been diagnosed with Vascular Dementia, he thinks it started 6 years ago so he may well be in the middle stages. He lives with my mum (60s) and they both currently care for his mum (90s) together. She lives in their home and needs around the clock care. It's actually my mum that I am currently most concerned about. Her mental health is a worry, she's on medication for anxiety and depression after suffering a breakdown 8 yrs ago. I think she has too much on her plate - and has very poor self care, always putting others first - and may not be coping now or be able to cope in the future. I want to know if I can get some mental health support for her predominantly. If she is going to care for my dad, she needs close support. Please let me know of you have any advice on where to start. Thank you

karaokePete

Jul 23, 2017
N Ireland
Hello @Devers you are welcome here and I hope you find the forum to be a friendly and supportive place.

I hope you have time to take a good look around the site as it is a goldmine for information. When I first joined I read old threads for information but then found the AS Publications list and the page where a post code search can be done to check for support services in ones own area. If you are interested in these, clicking the following links will take you there

https://www.alzheimers.org.uk/get-support/publications-factsheets-full-list

https://www.alzheimers.org.uk/find-support-near-you

You will see that there are Factsheets that will help with things like getting care needs assessments, deciding the level of care required and sorting out useful things like Wills, Power of Attorney etc., if any of that hasn't already been done. There is also a Dementia Guide in the list.

Now that you have found us I hope you will keep posting as the membership has vast collective knowledge and experience.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
jprollet