Welcome to Dementia Talking Point! Find out more and say hello.

Status
Not open for further replies.

markc1

Dec 10, 2020
Hi. I'm presently my 80yo Dads secondary carer.
He had a massive stroke a little over 4 years ago. Prior to the Stroke, he was the chairman of a large local sports club and he swam 400m+ every day (yes, even Sundays!). He taught and coached daily without financial reward for over 40 years.
He was also employed in a 'financial consultancy' position, in which he played a key role in setting up many local Charitable Trusts.
The Stroke disabled his right side, and took away his speech. He was left able to walk, use the loo, dress and feed himself, but little more.
Mid October, I took him for a CT Scan. The following weekend, while we were enjoying a short local break (Airbnb), the call came. Mum was told the left side of his brain showed degradation, in line with early Dementia.

He had had a "memory test" around the same time, however his lack of speech rendered this somewhat useless.
The prescription drugs arrived a few days later. Initially (in low dose 'trial' stage), Dad seemed to 'perk up'; his periods of attentiveness lengthening, his mood lifting. However 4 weeks in and he is rapidly regressing...

Izzy

Volunteer Moderator
Aug 31, 2003
Dundee
Welcome to the forum for @markc1.

I’m so sorry to read about your dad’s situation. It’s so hard to see a loved one declining in this way. I’m glad you’ve found this forum. You’ll get lots of help and support here.

Now that you’ve introduced yourself it might be useful for you to start a thread of your own in the I Care For A Person With Dementia area of the forum. Many members find it useful to have their own thread where they can ask questions, share concerns - or even just have a rant if they need to.

Whatever you decide I’m glad you’ve found the forum. You will get lots of understanding and support here. Keep posting - there’s always someone here to listen.

Jerac

Dec 10, 2020
Hello.My GP has recently diagnosed my husband with dementia despite not having seen him for over a year. He has been treating him for depression but none of the meds seemed to help. Given the situation re Covid, I am feeling scared, angry & confused. My husband just seems to have lost all enjoyment in life & all motivation to help himself. We are both in our early seventies, have been married for over 50 years and we’re looking forward to growing old(er) together. I feel not only has my husbands future been taken away but mine too.

Jerac

Dec 10, 2020
I watched my Dad die of dementia with Lewy Bodies, it was very hard work to get him the support he needed. My mother in law died with vascular dementia. So I think being scared is not surprising.

Grannie G

Volunteer Moderator
Apr 3, 2006
Kent
Hello @Jerac Welcome to Dementia Talking Point.

Your post took me back to the time when my husband was diagnosed. He too was treated for depression for a year until Alzheimer`s was diagnosed. I had also seem the progression of dementia in both parents/

My husband was always a planner, planning for our old age and retirement but it wasn`t to be.

Of course this diagnosis affects both your lives and it is not something anyone can look forward to.

I can only suggest you try if possible to make the most of some of the good days which may present themselves to you unexpectedly.

I`m glad you have found this forum. There will be a lot of understanding and support for you and I hope it will help.

Izzy

Volunteer Moderator
Aug 31, 2003
Dundee
Welcome to the forum @Jerac.

I’m so sorry to read of your husband’s diagnosis. It must be even harder having watched your dad go through dementia.

I’m glad you’ve found the forum and I know you will get lots of help and support here.

Jerac

Dec 10, 2020
Hello @Jerac Welcome to Dementia Talking Point.

Your post took me back to the time when my husband was diagnosed. He too was treated for depression for a year until Alzheimer`s was diagnosed. I had also seem the progression of dementia in both parents/

My husband was always a planner, planning for our old age and retirement but it wasn`t to be.

Of course this diagnosis affects both your lives and it is not something anyone can look forward to.

I can only suggest you try if possible to make the most of some of the good days which may present themselves to you unexpectedly.

I`m glad you have found this forum. There will be a lot of understanding and support for you and I hope it will help.
Thank you.

Jerac

Dec 10, 2020
Welcome to the forum @Jerac.

I’m so sorry to read of your husband’s diagnosis. It must be even harder having watched your dad go through dementia.

I’m glad you’ve found the forum and I know you will get lots of help and support here.
Thank you.

Frankie16

Dec 15, 2020
Thank you for your welcome. So glad to have found a place I can drop in for a chat with other people who have similar issues

Status
Not open for further replies.