• We're currently experiencing technical issues with our newsletter software, so our Dementia Talking Point monthly updates have been put on hold for now. We hope to restart the newsletter soon.

Find out more >here<.

Welcome to Dementia Talking Point! Find out more and say hello.

Status
Not open for further replies.

SophieD

Administrator
Staff member
Mar 21, 2018
London
Welcome to Dementia Talking Point :)

If you have dementia, or care for someone who does, you're very welcome to join our community and get support from others. Find out more about how to join and say hi to our friendly community on this discussion!

Finding out more

If you've got questions about how to use Dementia Talking Point click on these links below.
  • You can find answers to frequently asked questions here.
  • Our Help videos will show you how to navigate the different areas of Dementia Talking Point.
  • We also have a Quick Guide explaining how to use Dementia Talking Point including logging in, posting, replying, checking private messages and searching.
  • Also we recommend having a read through our Guidelines which are some useful tips and things to remember when posting.

Connecting with others

Head over to our list of forums to find people who are in a similar situation, people at a similar stage of dementia or an information topic that interests you.

Here are some tips on how to post a reply or start your own discussion...

1. When you're in a forum, look for the blue "Post New Thread" or "Reply" buttons at the top or bottom of discussions

2. To start a discussion, type a title, add your message and choose 'Create Thread'.

3. To add a reply just add your message and choose "Reply"

---

Any questions?

If you have any questions about using Dementia Talking Point, you can email us on talkingpoint@alzheimers.org.uk or Use our Contact Form - we're here to help.

Saying hello

This is our welcome thread - the place many members start. Our volunteer hosts and regular members are here to say hello to you and to welcome you to our community.

Why not tell us a little about your experience and how you'd like Dementia Talking Point to help you?

Whatever you're facing today, we hope you find our community to be helpful and supportive.

Sophie :)

Scarlet Pear

Jul 27, 2020
Hello everybody,
I am caring long distance for my father, who started having visits from carers six weeks ago and is finding it so hard to accept that he needs this help (he was not eating, which forced the issue). It's a tough transition. However now Dad is having enough to eat and is taking his medication appropriately and if there is a routine practical problem it can be dealt with promptly, which helps to reduce his anxiety.
I am prepared for us all being in a transition phase for some time. I know that ultimately we are looking at what needs to be in place to support Dad 24/7 and whether it is better for him to remain in his house or move when that time comes.
My dad likes to do puzzles and is missing being able to do his usual ones, so my next step is going to be to look through some of the suggestions in these forums for ideas.

Last edited:

Izzy

Volunteer Moderator
Aug 31, 2003
Dundee
Hi @Scarlet Pear and welcome to the forum.

I'm sorry to hear about your father's diagnosis but I'm glad you've found the forum. I'm sure you'll find lots of useful information here and there's always someone here to listen.

If you need to ask a question or share a concern - or even just have a rant - please do start a thread of your own, possiblest in the I Care For A Person With Dementia area.

I look forward to seeing you around the forum

Dom123

Jul 28, 2020
Hi I’m probably taking the frustrating route that many of you have already taken. My mum who is 85 is now in care after about a three or four year journey from her Independently living to going in to care. I’m now discovering that the frustrations continue despite finding a good care home. I thought it might help to compare notes or perhaps find ways of improving things for sufferers and carers. Dom.

Sarasa

Apr 13, 2018
Hi @Dom Kent and welcome to Dementia Talking Point. My mum moved into a care home last year. I was just getting the hang of visiting and beginning to enjoy them, as I got to know the other residents, when lockdown happened. I haven't seen mum since March as just as they were going to start garden visits they got another Covid 19 case.
Moving into care now must be very strange both for your mum and for you and the rest of the family.
The I Care for a Person with Dementia Forum is a good place to start your own thread if you have any particular things you want to chat about.
This is a friendly and supportive place and I've found it invaluable as I moved from general concerns about mum to actually moving her into care.

Izzy

Volunteer Moderator
Aug 31, 2003
Dundee
Hello thankyou for adding me into the group
Hello and welcome to the forum.

Now that you’ve found us have a good look around and get to know what there is on offer here. When you’re ready you might want to start your own thread in the I Care For A Person With Dementia area of the forum. You can tell us a little about your situation and it will be somewhere you can come to if you want to ask a question, share a concern - or even just have a rant.

There’s always someone here to listen and I know you will get a lot of help and support here.

borghild

Jul 28, 2020
I am caring for my husband who is in medium stages of dementia. I"m wondering if anyone else needs to sneak the Lexapro into his food to get him to take it? I have been doing this since I discovered that it really keeps him from becoming totally irritated and stops the yelling that it's all my fault. It also allow me to have time in the morning before the lunch cycle to run errands and let him babysit a great patient airedale that loves him to death. He watches alot of cowboys like Gunsmoke all day and generally falls asleep around 8 when I get control of the tv. My sons are concerned and we have taken measures for the next step but right now I have lots of patience,

karaokePete

Jul 23, 2017
N Ireland
Hello @borghild, you are welcome here and I hope you find the forum to be a friendly and supportive place.

I know that sometimes it is required to put meds in yogurts etc just to get them administered but I'm not familiar with the med you mention.

I hope you have time to take a good look around the site as it is a goldmine for information. When I first joined I read old threads for information but then found the AS Publications list and the page where a post code search can be done to check for support services in ones own area. If you are interested in these, clicking the following links will take you there

https://www.alzheimers.org.uk/get-support/publications-factsheets-full-list

https://www.alzheimers.org.uk/find-support-near-you

You will see that there are Factsheets that will help with things like getting care needs assessments, deciding the level of care required and sorting out useful things like Wills, Power of Attorney etc., if any of that hasn't already been done. There is also a Dementia Guide in the list.

Now that you have found us I hope you will keep posting as the membership has vast collective knowledge and experience.

Sza

Jul 30, 2020
Hello I am new here looking to learn how I can better support my parents - my Dad has Vascular Dementia. It's great to find you all here and from the threads I have read there seems to be great sense of community.

nae sporran

Volunteer Host
Oct 29, 2014
Bristol
Hullo and welcome to the forum. @Sza. Good to see you have already read a wee bit and found the support of our community. I hope you will keep reading and post when you are ready to.

KimK

Jul 31, 2020
Hi my name is Kim and I care for my mum who has Alzheimer’. She lives with me and it’s really tough going at the moment.

I joined so I can just post with others in similar situations and share advice, stories and support.

Thanks for letting me join in.

KimK

Jul 31, 2020
Hello @KimK welcome to DPT
its a friendly supportive forum, I hope now you have found us you will continue to post
Thanks, it seems really friendly and I am sure I will post more when I overcome my initial shyness.
thank you for your welcome.

Charliet

Aug 1, 2020
Welshpool
Hi I’m new to this my grandmother has been diagnosed today with vascular disease of the brain I just need help to understand more about the disease and hopefully some help in how to deal with this diagnosis and we as a family can do to help her with this

Cat27

Volunteer Moderator
Feb 27, 2015
Merseyside
Hi I’m new to this my grandmother has been diagnosed today with vascular disease of the brain I just need help to understand more about the disease and hopefully some help in how to deal with this diagnosis and we as a family can do to help her with this
Welcome to DTP @Charliet
You‘ve found the right place for help & support. Have a look around & post any questions.

Izzy

Volunteer Moderator
Aug 31, 2003
Dundee
Hi @Charliet and welcome to DTP.

I’m sorry to read about your grandmother’s diagnosis but I’m glad you’ve found the forum. I know you’ll get lots of understanding and support here.

I wondered if this factsheet on Vascular Dementia would be of any help -

Kimm

Aug 4, 2020
Hi my name is Kim and I care for my mum who has Alzheimer’. She lives with me and it’s really tough going at the moment.

I joined so I can just post with others in similar situations and share advice, stories and support.

Thanks for letting me join in.
Hi Kim, I am in the same position with my mum and have just joined the forum to share and learn too. The main thing is that it's good to know there are many other people who understand what you're going through. Sometimes that alone is enough but it's great to access advice and more information too and hopefully we will all be able to keep our sense of humour ;)

karaokePete

Jul 23, 2017
N Ireland
Hello @Kimm you are welcome here and I hope you find the forum to be a friendly and supportive place.

I hope you have time to take a good look around the site as it is a goldmine for information. When I first joined I read old threads for information but then found the AS Publications list and the page where a post code search can be done to check for support services in ones own area. If you are interested in these, clicking the following links will take you there

https://www.alzheimers.org.uk/get-support/publications-factsheets-full-list

https://www.alzheimers.org.uk/find-support-near-you

You will see that there are Factsheets that will help with things like getting care needs assessments, deciding the level of care required and sorting out useful things like Wills, Power of Attorney etc., if any of that hasn't already been done. There is also a Dementia Guide in the list.

Now that you have found us I hope you will keep posting as the membership has vast collective knowledge and experience.

Status
Not open for further replies.