Welcome to Dementia Talking Point! Find out more and say hello.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Izzy

Volunteer Moderator
Aug 31, 2003
Dundee
Hello, I just joined yesterday. My mum has mixed vascular dementia and Alzheimer's, she was diagnosed in 2017. My wife and I live with mum and are her carers. I will keep reading the threads as they are very helpful, and maybe post again in the future but I just wanted to say hi.

Hello and welcome to Dementia Talking Point. I’m glad you’ve found the forum and I’m sure you’ll find lots of help and support here.

It’s good you are finding the threads helpful. If you need to know anything specific or even just have a rant feel free to start your own thread, perhaps in the I Care For A Person With Dementia area.

You might also find the factsheets helpful -

https://www.alzheimers.org.uk/get-support/publications-factsheets-full-list

Suziduzi

Dec 10, 2019
Hi, my Mum In Law has recently been diagnosed with Alzheimers. I am hoping to find out more of what help is out there as we are struggling a bit at the moment. Hopefully I will get some answers on here.
Hi. Welcome. It is a rocky ride. My Mom was diagnosed with Alzheimer's & Vascular dementia in 2017. We were more or less just left to get on with it. The Psychiatrist told us to get Power of Attorney and gave us the number for the Admiral Nurses. Basically my Sister & myself have just trawled the internet, Alzheimer's Society, Dementia UK and i was very fortunate to have a member of staff whose husband had Lewi bodies dementia. She was so supportive. I have only just found this forum and find this great even though Mom is now in a residential home and "settled". I did speak to the Admiral Nurses on a couple of occasions and they were great. This forum is invaluable, the best help and support is definitely from those who are living or caring for dementia. Hopefully you have the support of another, just someone to let off steam with.

scaredinbda

Feb 19, 2020
Hello, I just joined as well. My mom has vascular dementia, just diagnosed after she suffered a stroke in November. The stroke has left her paralyzed on her left side. I have found this site to be very helpful even just in reading the members posts.

Izzy

Volunteer Moderator
Aug 31, 2003
Dundee
Hello, I just joined as well. My mom has vascular dementia, just diagnosed after she suffered a stroke in November. The stroke has left her paralyzed on her left side. I have found this site to be very helpful even just in reading the members posts.

Hello and welcome to the forum. I’m so glad that you’re already finding it useful. When you feel like it you might want to start your own thread - to ask a question, share a concern - or even just have a rant! There will always be someone here to listen.

Ellie89

Feb 22, 2020
Hi my name is Ellie, I'm 29 years old. My nana has alzheimers and my grandad has dementia. He is a lot poorlier than nana and so has been recently placed in a nursing home. I share the responsibility of looking after nan and visiting the home with my parents. I find it very easy to cope with my nana (my parents don't) yet grandad well I'm struggling a lot with so that is why I have joined to get insight, advice and maybe new ways of approaching things. So hello everyone and look forward to getting to know you all, learning from you and maybe possibly helping someone else if I can.

nae sporran

Oct 29, 2014
Bristol
Hi my name is Ellie, I'm 29 years old. My nana has alzheimers and my grandad has dementia. He is a lot poorlier than nana and so has been recently placed in a nursing home. I share the responsibility of looking after nan and visiting the home with my parents. I find it very easy to cope with my nana (my parents don't) yet grandad well I'm struggling a lot with so that is why I have joined to get insight, advice and maybe new ways of approaching things. So hello everyone and look forward to getting to know you all, learning from you and maybe possibly helping someone else if I can.
Welcome to the forums Ellie. Sorry to read you have two grandparents with dementia. You will find support and advice here from many who are experiencing similar issues.
https://www.alzheimers.org.uk/about-dementia/types-dementia has links to some good facthsheets explaining Alzheimer's and other forms of dementia. https://www.alzheimers.org.uk/find-support-near-you is worth a look as well.
Feel free to post more details or ask more specific questions when you feel ready to.

Last edited:

tzavet

Feb 23, 2020
Thank you for your welcome I’m sure I will need some support in the weeks , months even years to come

Status
Not open for further replies.