Welcome to Dementia Talking Point! Find out more and say hello.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Bunpoots

Volunteer Host
Apr 1, 2016
Nottinghamshire
Welcome from me too @Vicky3116.

While my dad was in care I used to talk to the manager of his home regularly and she said the same as you. Her mother had just started down the dementia road.

I hope you’ll find this a friendly and supportive place.

Vicky3116

Aug 3, 2019
Thank you all for the welcomes, I will read more and post in time. I have found it extremely difficult since diagnoses as I know too much and am only to aware of what is ahead. I never thought in a million years I would be in this position. My mum is a lot younger then those we care for at the age of 68, although I feel her dementia has been picked up early due to my persistence as Gp initially wanted to wait another year because she was borderline cognitive impairment - then 2 months later we have a diagnoses of mixed dementia Alzheimers and vascular. She was so happy the other day when LPA came through but for me it was devastating.

Im hoping to find support here from others on family views rather then work prospective.

Woo2

Apr 30, 2019
South East
Hi @Vicky3116 , welcome from me too. You will get lots of support here it’s a fab site and helped me a huge amount . My mum was diagnosed 4 years ago aged 67:(. Her sister and mother also had it. It’s hard seeing her decline while so young , all the day centres are not appealing to her as the clientele is generally a lot older , she did a cbt course last year but again they were all in their 80’s and put her off . Glad to hear your mum got an early diagnosis , Mum refused to accept it for years , she has had symptoms for a long time .
Keep posting :). Take care

Vicky3116

Aug 3, 2019
Thank you! My mum wouldn't accept any of it until we got diagnoses. Now she goes around telling people that she has dementia but she is in the best hands as I will look after her. We are in a great position as her and my dad live with me anyway but also the fact that I work in a dementia care home so I can when the time comes and if needed take her to work with me. Everything is fine for now I just find it difficult as I have no outlet, my husband goes off to the pub, my dad is in denial, my brothers are so far away, and my mum is just oblivious to it all - I try and stay strong for her and the family but sometimes I feel im going crazy as for me my life is dementia 24hrs at work and home but I wouldn't change a thing I love my job and of course I happy to look after, support and help my mum.

Woo2

Apr 30, 2019
South East
Sounds like you have it all in hand :) Good luck, nice to come here though and realise you aren’t alone and to have a vent off if needed .

Rjay

Aug 5, 2019
Hello I have 2 elderly parents one with dementia.

Just wanted to say Hi to everyone.

Rjay

Aug 5, 2019
[QUOTE="Cat27, post: 1650942, member: 49915
I think this will be the best place for you.[/QUOTE]

Many thanks

Loveislove

Aug 10, 2019
Hi!

My name is Kate and I am new to this site. I started caregiving about 2 months ago for a loved one who has vascular dementia, and she has gotten significantly worse just in the short time that I've been here. I posted a thread under I am a caregiver of someone with dementia, and I would love it if somebody were many people could read and respond with anything that you might have to offer.

I'm very very good with people, but I'm very very new to dementia and what it does to somebody. there have already been times where I found myself at the end of my rope wanting to quit this job because I simply don't know what to do and in those moments I feel useless and like I can't help her. Anyway, obviously I have a lot going on and believe it or not that is in that show. I'm really happy to have found this site and I hope I'm able to find support and help others.

karaokePete

Jul 23, 2017
N Ireland
Hello @Loveislove you are welcome here and I hope you find the forum to be a friendly and supportive place.

I have posted a reply on your other thread. In addition to that, I hope you have time to take a good look around the site as it is a goldmine for information. When I first joined I read old threads for information but then found the AS Publications list and the page where a post code search can be done to check for support services in ones own area. If you are interested in these, clicking the following links will take you there

https://www.alzheimers.org.uk/get-support/publications-factsheets-full-list

https://www.alzheimers.org.uk/find-support-near-you

You will see that there are Factsheets that will help with things like getting care needs assessments, deciding the level of care required and sorting out useful things like Wills, Power of Attorney etc.

Now that you have found us I hope you will keep posting as the membership has vast collective knowledge and experience.

Vipul 61

Aug 10, 2019
Hello I am Dr vipul from Mumbai India and I would like to share with you about dementia and Alzheimer's disease

Molly Underhay

Aug 5, 2019
Hi

Sorry to hear about your situation. It's not easy at all and I understand the difficulty you're going through. Keep smiling and stay strong and take time out for yourself and it's ok to ask for help as long as you get the right kind of help. Unfortunately we haven't.

Juba

Jul 27, 2019
Hi,
First time actually posting onto the forum. My husband has early onset Alzheimers so hoping to link up to others dealing with suddenly finding themselves as the main carer.

Grannie G

Volunteer Moderator
Apr 3, 2006
Kent
Welcome to the Forum @Juba

Now you`ve introduced yourself please start your own Thread on the most appropriate forum .

The best for you is probably I have a partner with dementia

Izzy

Volunteer Moderator
Aug 31, 2003
Dundee
Hi,
First time actually posting onto the forum. My husband has early onset Alzheimers so hoping to link up to others dealing with suddenly finding themselves as the main carer.

Hi and welcome to the forum.

I’m sorry to hear about your husband’s diagnosis. I’m also glad that you have found this forum. I know you will get lots of help and support here.

Once you’ve had time to have a look around the forum you may decide to begin a thread of your own, as GrannieG has suggested. This will allow you to ask questions, share concerns or even just have a rant and your answers will all be together.

I know you said that your husband has Early Onset Alzheimers. I’m don’t know how young he is but I wondered if it would be helpful to have a look at some of the threads in this area of the forum-

https://forum.alzheimers.org.uk/forums/younger-people-with-dementia-and-their-carers.27/

Status
Not open for further replies.

Staff online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Coo