Welcome back! Changes to Talking Point after our update

HarrietD

Staff Member
Staff member
Apr 29, 2014
London
Hi @Beate, I'm sorry to hear that. We only send alerts to when we need to make members aware of a wider issue, or to let members know that certain discussions or Q&A sessions are happening. This is limited to once or twice a month, however it just so happened that this month, the notifications came in quick succession. Thanks for your help @nitram in the meantime.

canary

Feb 25, 2014
South coast
@Beate - are you finding new posts by using the drop-down menu on "Forums"?
I use "Whats New" and that gives me both read and unread posts.

BTW - I do find they way you have to click on "more" at the bottom and then scroll down again before you can see previous pages, really annoying.

canary

Feb 25, 2014
South coast
Nitram - I have checked and double checked and I cant see any difference between the two links - they both seem to take me to the same place. They both have read and unread posts in them.

nitram

Apr 6, 2011
Bury
Do you get the default 'show only unread'?
2020-02-28_171423.png

If not your filter has changed

2020-02-28_171604.png

If you change the filter click 'save as default'

canary

Feb 25, 2014
South coast
Further to my previous post here
means that I dont see that that on either of the two links you provided, nor if I click on "new posts" on the drop down menu from "forums. I just only get new posts if I do that. However I get both new and old post if I click on "whats new"

nitram

Apr 6, 2011
Bury
'New Posts' for me gives a truncated list of unread posts - own posts don't show.
At the bottom I can click on 'view more' which takes me back to the top and I have to scroll through the truncated list to actually view more.

Do you want to get rid of the 'view more' bit and show a complete list?
If so do you want it to display all posts or just unread posts?

You may have got what you want, not sure what @Beate wants.

canary

Feb 25, 2014
South coast
Im happy with what Ive got Nitram. The truncated view is a bit annoying, but I can deal with it. I thought I was offering a small nugget of advice to Beate, but I think my replies have just highlighted the paucity of my understanding, so its probably best if I keep off this thread.

Beate

May 21, 2014
London
@Beate - are you finding new posts by using the drop-down menu on "Forums"?
I use "Whats New" and that gives me both read and unread posts.

BTW - I do find they way you have to click on "more" at the bottom and then scroll down again before you can see previous pages, really annoying.

@canary, I understand as much or as little as you so don't stay away on my account please!

Yes, I click on New Posts and have found that clicking on What's New after that gives me more pages, which is just as well as I don't understand most of what nitram says (sorry). But I find all this clicking more work than before - why make things more complicated for people?

And yes, I would love to be able to go to another page on the top of each page too, and not just the bottom. The scrolling is annoying, and also I'm missing a way to go to a page that isn't the first, last or next of any given thread. It doesn't seem possible anymore!

As for the unavoidable alerts, no offence but they should be switchoffable if someone does not want to get them. I don't.

nitram

Apr 6, 2011
Bury
And yes, I would love to be able to go to another page on the top of each page too, and not just the bottom.

For me the page index shows at top and bottom of all pages.
This is on a laptop, maybe different on other device. Portrait or landscape may also make a difference.

As for the unavoidable alerts, no offence but they should be switchoffable if someone does not want to get them. I don't.

The notifications are generally infrequent, clicking on the little x will make a notification go away.
A notification along the lines of 'We regret that conversations will not be available from 10:00 for a few hours on dd/mm/yyyy' is helpful to everybody.

Alzheimer's Society

Volunteer Moderator
Apr 6, 2009
www.alzheimers.org.uk
Thanks everyone. We have been passing on the feedback to our developers who are implementing as many of the changes as are feasible.

As we said in our opening post of this thread 'We will be capturing changes and any potential issues over the next couple of weeks.'

Implementing the changes is a work in progress and we will be fine tuning as the weeks progress. You may start seeing subtle changes to DTP, this is us working in the background. Thanks.

Kind regards,

DTP.

MaNaAk

Jun 19, 2016
Essex
Hi everyone,

Thanks for sharing your comments and feedback. We understand that things may seem strange at the moment - and we're all getting used to the new version, including me! ?

We really appreciate your comments ? and will do everything we can to explore issues and will aim to get things addressed as soon as we can. We're a small team and we'll do our best by starting with the higher priority issues. ?

Some changes are part of the new version and we'll need to address whether critical changes are needed and to consider how to best use our limited technical resource budget ? so it may be possible that we can't change everything. We'll do as much as we can to help mitigate any issues.

Many thanks,

Serena :)

PS I'm liking these emojis. Hope you are too!

I find the changes easy to use on the computer but more difficult on a smart phone. In order to go from one forum to another I seem to have to log out, type Dementia Talking Point search for the next forum and log back in.

MaNaAk

nitram

Apr 6, 2011
Bury
...on a smart phone. In order to go from one forum to another I seem to have to log out, type Dementia Talking Point search for the next forum and log back in.

No access to smart phone to test, however forcing a laptop to tell DTP it's a smart phone suggests you should look for a hamburger (stack of 3 horizontal bars), click on it and scroll down resulting list of forums.

Supersize hamburger
images

EDIT
If you can't find a hamburger click on any other icon that you don't use.

Last edited:

Recent Threads

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
ResearchGal1