Weight monitoring

garfield3

Jun 30, 2018
Hello all,

Mum has had the starting of bed sores, which are improving due to her being put to bed for an hour or so inthe afternoon. Good news about that. However, she has been on food monitoring schedule due to not eating again. She has been off the schedule once this month. They are also doing weekly weight recording. She has supplements too.

Having a bit of worry about it. I do know that patients can last for months not eating much and being bed bound.

Thanks for listening again. Off on this roller coaster again.

BFN

karaokePete

Jul 23, 2017
N Ireland
That is distressing for you but do keep posting here for support as that may help you.

I wish you strength at this difficult time.

Grannie G

Volunteer Moderator
Apr 3, 2006
Kent
It`s as if the person and their body is shutting down @garfield3.

We may be thinking of our own appetites but can also remember times during illness when we really don`t want to eat.

It`s upsetting to witness however much we try to acknowledge the normality of this stage of life.

garfield3

Jun 30, 2018
That is distressing for you but do keep posting here for support as that may help you.

I wish you strength at this difficult time.
It`s as if the person and their body is shutting down @garfield3.

We may be thinking of our own appetites but can also remember times during illness when we really don`t want to eat.

It`s upsetting to witness however much we try to acknowledge the normality of this stage of life.

Thanks to you both for your replies. Mum is 94 next month and has had a good innings. It is just a waiting game. I know many of you have been through the end stage and have come out the other side. I feel it is the beginning of the end. However, a friend's gran lasted 2 yrs in bed with sores and EOL problems. Evil disease.

Ray96

Sep 29, 2018
Yes its an evil disease alright, and so very unpredictable. My mum has gone down hill a lot in the last three months, eating a little then not eating or drinking, not wanting her medication, then she starts taking just enough to survive again, she can hold spit or liquids in her mouth for hours too sometimes without swallowing or spitting it out. Yesterday we made a lot of fuss of her and she had ensure drinks, water, medication and shakes that I made after two days of hardly anything. Its really hard work.

garfield3

Jun 30, 2018
Yes its an evil disease alright, and so very unpredictable. My mum has gone down hill a lot in the last three months, eating a little then not eating or drinking, not wanting her medication, then she starts taking just enough to survive again, she can hold spit or liquids in her mouth for hours too sometimes without swallowing or spitting it out. Yesterday we made a lot of fuss of her and she had ensure drinks, water, medication and shakes that I made after two days of hardly anything. Its really hard work.

Thanks for your reply.I think it is the unpredictability of it that screws with my head. Sending you strength for today.

Ray96

Sep 29, 2018
Y
Thanks for your reply.I think it is the unpredictability of it that screws with my head. Sending you strength for today.
I agree with you 100%, its the unpredictability of this disease that's the killer for carers. I never realised how many ups and downs there are in the later stages, I found a great article about a month ago comparing end of life for an elderly person with and without dementia, complely different. Someone without dementia has a pretty well linear decline, but with Alzheimers they can be up and down right to the end, good days, bad days, death bed, not eating or drinking then all of a sudden back in their wheelchair and taking in some sustenance again. I lose count of the people who have said that my mum has not got long, we have had 3 occasions in the last 4 months that it looked like hospice care was required for mum, but every time she has come back, a bit weaker sure and is sleeping a lot more, but somehow she just keeps going. I'm starting to think that the end may well come when I least expect it.

Sending you lots of strength too.

garfield3

Jun 30, 2018
Y

I agree with you 100%, its the unpredictability of this disease that's the killer for carers. I never realised how many ups and downs there are in the later stages, I found a great article about a month ago comparing end of life for an elderly person with and without dementia, complely different. Someone without dementia has a pretty well linear decline, but with Alzheimers they can be up and down right to the end, good days, bad days, death bed, not eating or drinking then all of a sudden back in their wheelchair and taking in some sustenance again. I lose count of the people who have said that my mum has not got long, we have had 3 occasions in the last 4 months that it looked like hospice care was required for mum, but every time she has come back, a bit weaker sure and is sleeping a lot more, but somehow she just keeps going. I'm starting to think that the end may well come when I least expect it.

Sending you lots of strength too.

Thanks again. Do you have a link for the article you were reading. Sounds interesting. All this is so very stressful. I have it easier since mum is in a nursing home now.I don't live in the UK and get weekly updates from the nurses and dad. I wish I was nearer and could visit more.

Have a descent day.

Ray96

Sep 29, 2018
Sorry I don't have a link, I look up a lot of things on google while caring for mother, it passes they time away, but I never seem to be able to find them again.

All the best to you garfield.

Spamar

Oct 5, 2013
Suffolk
OH and I both had fathers that had dementia. Three times for each father we were asked to come quickly as the
person was dying. Which just goes to show, they were either stubborn old men - they both were that! - or the signs of imminent death are not fully understood.
Only one doctor got it right, he predicted hours, maybe days. 15 hours later, OH died. Bless him!

My fil died in 1986: my father in 1996 and OH in 2015.

garfield3

Jun 30, 2018
OH and I both had fathers that had dementia. Three times for each father we were asked to come quickly as the
person was dying. Which just goes to show, they were either stubborn old men - they both were that! - or the signs of imminent death are not fully understood.
Only one doctor got it right, he predicted hours, maybe days. 15 hours later, OH died. Bless him!

My fil died in 1986: my father in 1996 and OH in 2015.

Oh Spamar, you have been through the mill. Hope you are keeping well since your OH died relatively recently. I know i have to just have to wait for the end. Not easy as you know.When mum went into the nursing one he was 44kg. In 3 and a half years she has put on 5Kg. Startings lose it though now due to eating issues.