Weight loss?

Lea8

Nov 3, 2019
Hey everyone. Is it normal for someone in later stages of dementia to suffer with weight loss? Or should we be concerned there is an underlying problem. It has been mentioned to the GP but he didn’t seem concerned. My grandad has lost so much weight despite still eating

Sirena

Feb 27, 2018
I think it is fairly common. My mother lost weight in the earlier stages and she now eats just enough to keep her at that level (borderline underweight). Do you know for sure how much he eats?

Rose30

Aug 11, 2019
Hi
Weight loss is common, my husband went from over 10stones to 8.5 stones in less then 6 months. If you are concern about a secondary illness push your GP for tests.
Good luck.

Gillywilly

Sep 21, 2018
Hi I understand what you are concerned about but basically yes this weight loss is perfectly normal in the later stages. I just lost my mum in August and I was at the stage where I was giving her drinks and custard via a syringe. Unfortunately it only gets harder sorry to say. You can only do your best and if he eats then he eats but if he doesn’t don’t worry. It’s upsetting because you feel he is starving but his brain is telling him something else. Good luck

Lea8

Nov 3, 2019
Hi I understand what you are concerned about but basically yes this weight loss is perfectly normal in the later stages. I just lost my mum in August and I was at the stage where I was giving her drinks and custard via a syringe. Unfortunately it only gets harder sorry to say. You can only do your best and if he eats then he eats but if he doesn’t don’t worry. It’s upsetting because you feel he is starving but his brain is telling him something else. Good luck

Thanks for your reply and so sorry for your loss. Luckily meal times are the one thing he enjoys most, just horrible to see him gradually getting thinner and thinner.

Lea8

Nov 3, 2019
Thanks for your replies. He still has his 3 meals a day, although he eats a lot slower he still has his appetite :) I wasn’t sure if it was a common factor of dementia or not, he only ways 9 stone now. The weight has just fallen off him over the past 6 months.