Weight loss - potential sign of dementia?

Krug 22

Dec 12, 2015
I am probably over reacting but my husband has lost 3st since the Summer and is now under 8st. I have real problems making him eat - he keeps saying he will eat later but then does not. We have had medical advice and he has had an endoscopy and a bowel scan because he is also anaemic and they wanted to rule out internal bleeding.He is on various pills for acid reflux, and lupus/psoriasis, gout and irritable bladder. He does seem very confused at times and very sleepy but that may well be due to the anaemia. The iron pills prescribed caused constipation so his dose has now been lowered. He is very forgetful but again, this could be due to lack of food and sleep.
I wonder if anyone else has had this experience? I do offer toast but he keeps saying 'maybe later'. I do feel the weight loss and anaemia is partially down to poor diet. He is a very intelligent man so he must realise that he needs to eat? He is 76. He even asked me the other day what conditions he has! He is very forgetful and put the gas ring on then started the microwave, totally forgetting why he had put the ring on. I do get carers allowance because he had a heamatoma over 2 years ago and has not been the same since, and fortunately I am around most of the time. Indeed, I had to stop my voluntary work and my pilates because I hated leaving him. I also try to get my appointments done first thing because he usually goes to bed when I get up at 6am and tends to sleep until 11ish. I am probably totally wrong but I cannot understand how someone intelligent and educated does not seem to understand that part of the problems he is having, is caused by lack of food and poor diet. the GP did refer us to a dietician but the phone consultation did not go well - my husband thought her patronising and refused to consider the build up drinks.
I am really struggling to cope. He is very bad with regard to taking his pills and I have to remind him and remind him and then he gets nasty. I also have found pills ont he floor - a nightmare since we have cats. I also worry that if he has any illness, he could lose more weight - after the endoscopy he went down to 7st 8 but thankfully he did manage to put some back on. Thanks for listening. I am keeping a diary of behaviour which I think is strange but it is going to be very hard to get to see his doctor and if he has mental capacity his doctor may not be prepared to talk to me........

stanleypj

Dec 8, 2011
North West
Welcome to TP Krug. Your concerns are understandable. Some members have found that writing to the GP about all the things they are worried about is a good idea. Some GPs will get the person about whom there is concern to attend the surgery for a 'check up' and then take it from there.

I hope you are able to get him there, one way or another, as this would be a start.

Krug 22

Dec 12, 2015
Thanks Sidney. He is under a Geriatric Consultant who is overseeing his care and his GP is very good but they both felt the way forward was the dietician. My problem frankly is whilst intellectually he knows he must eat, he just will not. I frankly do not know what more the GP can do...........if he has mental capacity and will not take advice. I suppose if he collapsed then they could say he was a danger to himself by not eating? He had very bad stomach ache yesterday but again, I am convinced poor diet is contributing because as far as I know, he only had ice cream all day. I guess it has to get to crisis point before anyone can intervene? Will keep trying to get him to eat but I cannot force him.