Weight loss despite huge appetite

Discussion in 'Welcome and how to use Talking Point' started by Pob, Aug 3, 2018.

1. Pob

Pob Registered User

May 29, 2016
    This is my first post. My husband was diagnosed with young onset three years ago. I am still struggling with the impact on both him and the rest of the family.
    He has a great appetite and eats anything and everything. He is, however, continuing to lose weight. Has anybody any ideas on why this could be?

2. Spamar

Spamar Registered User

Oct 5, 2013
    Suffolk
    Hi Pob, welcome!
    If he’s eating, and somebody actually sees him eating, and still losing weight, I think you need him to see his gp. There may be something else here other than dementia.
    Pwd ( people with dementia) often say they’ve had dinner, for instance, but haven’t. They may just think they’ve eaten, or just disposed of the food elsewhere.
    It’s a tricky business!

3. try again

try again Registered User

Jun 21, 2018
    Over active thyroid springs to mind as a non-dementia illness. Has he had blood tests recently?

4. nellbelles

nellbelles Volunteer Host

Nov 6, 2008
    leicester
    Hello @Pob and welcome to TP

I agree with spamar that a check up with the GP might be a good thing, if as you say he is eating well

5. Pob

Pob Registered User

May 29, 2016
    He is definitely eating. He forgets that he has done so and will always eat whatever is put in front of him, even if he has just eaten.
    He had blood tests some time ago but maybe they need to be done again.
    Thanks for the replies. I should have used this board earlier.