Weight gain in carehome

skinnny

May 5, 2020
Does anyone have experience of how to tackle weight gain in carehome setting.
My mum has gone from a svelt size 12 to about a size 20 in less than a year.
It seems to be effecting her walking and mobility which used to be very good for her age.
I did send an email to the carehome manager who said they would encourage her to go for a walk outside, I'm not sure this is happening and I think this weight gain is bound to effect her health. She has mentioned how unhappy she is about it too.

nitram

Apr 6, 2011
Bury
You could ask the care home to give her less and maybe different food using smaller plates so the plate still looks full. Easer to do if she eats in her room and not a dining area.
It's going to be a slow process, probably longer than it took to put the weight on.

dora

Aug 1, 2007
England
Hi skinny
This does seem a large weight gain in a relatively short time.
Do you know what drugs your mum is on? Some drugs have a side effect of significant weight gain. If you know the names of the drugs, you can check them out on the web.

silkiest

Feb 9, 2017
Hi@skinny,
@dora is correct some drugs predispose to weight gain - the most common being prednisolone. Could some of the weight gain be fluid retention as well - people with worsening heart failure often need to start or have the dosage of diuretics changed. It's certainly worth having a chat with her GP for possible medical causes.

Canadian Joanne

Apr 8, 2005
Toronto, Canada
I can't remember which drug it was, but my mother's appetite was voracious at one point. The home cut back on her portion sizes. Eventually she did lose weight but it took a long time and it took my mother being in a wheelchair.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Max69