weekends

Maggie42

Mar 7, 2011
East Midlands
Hi,
My husband is in a nursing home with mixed dementia. I try and keep busy during the week with visits, vol. work, lunches etc, but I dread weekends when others are busy doing family things and now we (I am sure others feel the same way) have 3 days to cope with over the Bank Holiday and it's cold weather.....
Sorry for moaning but just wanted to share the feeling and send a big hug to others in the same situation.
Take care.
Maggie

Chuggalug

Mar 24, 2014
Norfolk
Maggie, come and join the Positives Thread. You'll love it there. I know you'll be made welcome :) xxxxx

WIFE

May 23, 2014
WEST SUSSEX
Maggie - I so well know what you mean about weekends and Bank Holidays especially when everyone around is having family get-togethers and barbeques. So for this Bank Holiday I have bought myself one of those disposable barbeques and intend to "do" my kebabs, play some cheerful music and drink a few glasses of wine on the terrace under a large umbrella if it pours with rain! You just have to keep going somehow. Even visiting my husband in the NH broke up the day into manageable chunks but now it seems to "stretch.......". Will be thinking of you WIFE

Beate

May 21, 2014
London
I used to love bank holidays as they were another day off work. Now they are just a day without day centre and sitters, plus everywhere is so full with day trippers that the day is best spent home.

Chuggalug

Mar 24, 2014
Norfolk
Maggie; there must be something you love to do. A hobby. Something that lifts your spirits. For me, it's music. Whatever yours is, just do it. Get some fresh air. Go for a walk. Whatever, just don't sit and upset yourself. Life is for living as often as you can.

Sometimes, you have to force yourself to move. That, I know all too well. We're all here for you and will help you carry your pain in any way that we can. Cry when you must, but then stop and do something that gives you the most joy.

And come here and talk with us :) xxxxxx

Maggie42

Mar 7, 2011
East Midlands
Hi,
Thanks for all your replies, it is comforting to know there are people you can reach out to and yes I will look at the Positives thread. I hope those who feel the same way as me find something to brighten their weekend, I've ended up watching too much TV, indulged in some retail therapy and done some gardening....
Regards
Maggie

esmeralda

Nov 27, 2014
Devon
Hi Maggie, it can be hard to cope with weekends, especially ones with bank holidays tacked on. There are a lot of people finding them difficult I think. Have you heard of the University of the 3rd Age? Don't know if there is one near you but they do all sorts of activities, all run by members. You have to be retired or partially retired. Membership fees are very reasonable, about £12 - £15 a year. You don't have to be academic or have a degree or anything. The local one here have a group that arrange things for the weekends for people who would otherwise be on their own..
Local Carer's groups might also have something on. I hope you can find something hat helps. Es
xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx

truth24

Oct 13, 2013
North Somerset
Hi Maggi

Have the same problem here since I have now decided to make only week day visits as holiday traffic on M5 building up now the season has arrived and don't like getting stuck in jams when all I am wanting to do is to see my beloved. Must admit, I am going out with a a friend today, weather permitting, but normally spend Sundays on my own. Saturdays are OK as catch up with shopping, housework, etc, but Sundays can seem very lonely. Usually attend morning Church service but then usually spend time in garden if possible, or doing paperwork, reading paper, etc. Don't know what to suggest as I think many of us are in the same boat and I remember my mother saying the same thing after my father died, so it's an age old problem. Sorry I can't help but just wanted to say I know how you feel.:(

Maggie42

Mar 7, 2011
East Midlands
Hi all,
Thanks Lin a couple of courses look interesting and I am finishing one on Dementia this week so quite timely.
Truth: Like you I am avoiding the motorways this w/e as have a 50 min trip each way to visit my HB.
Looks like there is no avoiding trying to set up my new office chair as it is far too wet for gardening, at least it doesn't involve using power tools. LOL
Take care one and all.
Mags

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Caroline124