Wedding ring stuck

Helly68

Mar 12, 2018
Apologies if this is in the wrong place, or if a previous thread explained this - I searched but couldn't find anything.
My Mum's wedding ring has become stuck on her finger. Her knuckle has swelled and even with soap etc, it won't budge and is uncomfortable.
She lives full time in a care home and has to be hoisted in and out of a chair, so ideally I am looking for someone to come to the care home to cut the ring off, safely.
Staff have tried to remove it, and contacted the GP, who can't help.
So far I have thought of - jewellers - if any know of a mobile ring-remover, ringing 111 - trying to avoid urgent care or A&E as it isn't really an emergency and because it is very hard to take Mummy out of the home, Fire Brigade - who can also apparently do this.

Haven't contacted any one yet, but has anyone had this issue and if so, what did you do?

70smand

Dec 4, 2011
Essex
Not sure if this will help but I once saw a video where a nurse in a & e removed a ring I think using thread. As a nurse I have usually managed with butter or Vaseline but I will try to find the link for you, otherwise try you tube, good luck

Helly68

Mar 12, 2018
I did try the string trick on myself, also have fat fingers and rings, but couldn't get it to work so wasn't confident it would work with my Mum, who may not take kindly to the whole thing. They have tried soap I think. Will have a further youtube trawl....

70smand

Dec 4, 2011
Essex
There are lots of videos on there, but also, if you can maybe you can elevate mums hand with pillows before hand for a while to reduce swelling, although I understand that is easier said than done. If it comes to it there is a gadget that they have in Aand E to remove rings by cutting them, it’s not a big contraption as my work invested in one some time ago for this very reason to save taking patients to A and E ( I work in a hospice). If not successful I would try a jewellers.

JBK

Feb 25, 2018
Apologies if this is in the wrong place, or if a previous thread explained this - I searched but couldn't find anything.
My Mum's wedding ring has become stuck on her finger. Her knuckle has swelled and even with soap etc, it won't budge and is uncomfortable.
She lives full time in a care home and has to be hoisted in and out of a chair, so ideally I am looking for someone to come to the care home to cut the ring off, safely.
Staff have tried to remove it, and contacted the GP, who can't help.
So far I have thought of - jewellers - if any know of a mobile ring-remover, ringing 111 - trying to avoid urgent care or A&E as it isn't really an emergency and because it is very hard to take Mummy out of the home, Fire Brigade - who can also apparently do this.

Haven't contacted any one yet, but has anyone had this issue and if so, what did you do?
Hope you get sorted. I would be wary of getting the Fire Brigade involved though, especially if the ring is valuable, sentimentail or price wise. I had the same prob a while ago. & was advised by GP to get them to do it as there were no jewellry shops close to me.
They were only too pleased to do this but it involved cutting it off which made a terrible mess of the ring unlike a Jeweler who uses special equipment.

prodigal-son

Feb 1, 2019
I hope the thread or ribbon method works second time around. It seems a pity to cut the ring. I think you'll need to keep the wraps close together, and you can afford to go pretty tight – as long as your mum's OK with that – because you'll only be putting the squeeze on for a few moments. Good luck.

AliceA

May 27, 2016
I tried everything but eventually saw a GP, she had never cut a ring before so I had to encourage her!
She was reluctant but I pointed out my finger was worth more than any ring!

charlie10

Dec 20, 2018
Hope you get it sorted @Helly68 .....I know you don't want to involve A&E etc but it could get serious if it's so tight it impedes her blood supply. If you try too many times unsuccessfully the swelling tends to get worse too (thinking back to when toddler son got his hand stuck in railings.....so many attempts were made with pushing and pulling and greasing etc that it got even more stuck and we ended up with the fire brigade cutting him out ....it was in a department store lift :oops:.....now a family anecdote but worrying at the time)

Helly68

Mar 12, 2018
Thanks everyone for your comments and ideas. I will let you know what happens....

Canadian Joanne

Apr 8, 2005
Toronto, Canada
I hope it get resolved as soon as possible, as the swelling etc may well get worse and cause more problems. If necessary, get it cut off as soon as possible. Speak to a jeweller and explain the situation re: dementia and all. I think you might find a great deal of sympathy.

A cut ring can always be repaired.

Helly68

Mar 12, 2018
Well, tried the jeweller - no go as we wouldn't be able to get to the shop.

Tried 111 but she has to be with me when I make the call - so I will ring them again on Sunday, when I next see her. I can see us having to go to A&E which will be a mission but I take everyone's points, it needs to come off before there is damage to the finger.

arielsmelody

Jul 16, 2015
I've never needed to do this so it may be a very stupid idea - but I looked on Amazon and ring cutters are actually quite cheap. If it was me (and if the ring itself is not too precious) I'd be tempted to buy one and see if I could get the ring off myself.

Helly68

Mar 12, 2018
I've never needed to do this so it may be a very stupid idea - but I looked on Amazon and ring cutters are actually quite cheap. If it was me (and if the ring itself is not too precious) I'd be tempted to buy one and see if I could get the ring off myself.
I did consider this, but was worried about cutting her - I have no idea whether she would hold still

Batsue

Nov 4, 2014
Scotland
I used a junior hacksaw to remove my ring when I sprained my wrist, it cut through the gold without damaging my skin and took less than a minute. To make sure I pushed a small piece of kitchen roll between the ring and my finger.

jugglingmum

Jan 5, 2014
Chester
The ones on amazon look a good bet, one in the questions bit says he supplies to A & E depts

It doesn't look like you would cut her as the ring is scooped onto the hook bit

I'd guess cooling the finger beforehand would help as it would then be less swollen in total.

Otherwise, no idea if this would work but thinking at a tangent, could you file through it, with a small file, gentle movements, and do it over multiple days so only a few moves up and down each day. She wouldn't have to stay still for more than a few seconds each day, you'd just go back to the groove in the ring each time and make it slightly bigger. I've looked on ebay and if you search under jewellers file you might find something.

Edit to say: written before reedysue's reply. I was thinking that a hacksaw would work but wasn't sure if you'd be happy to use it, much quicker than a file

prodigal-son

Feb 1, 2019
Great idea @arielsmelody. I'd go for the ring cutter over a hacksaw or a file any day. Safer and I'll bet quicker, too. A bit like the difference between cutting plumbing pipe with a hacksaw and a proper pipe cutter. For £14 you can't really go wrong.

An Amazon reviewer said make sure to have a couple of pairs of small pliers handy so you can bend the ring once it's cut. Might be easier than cutting twice.

Helly68

Mar 12, 2018
Yep, we are going for the ring cutter (with safety plate) as all other options are a bit complicated and I really don't want to have to go to A&E. The cutter is due to arrive soon, will let you know how we get on.