Web parasites target TP

Brucie

Jan 31, 2004
near London
Some members may have noticed that Talking Point is receiving quite a few posts from dubious parasitic sales people at present.

Sadly, pretty much all of these say they are from the USA.

We remove them as soon as we spot them - or are alerted by members.

Probably not necessary to say it but please don't ever reply to them using their contact details, or by PM, or on the threads concerned.

Dearth

May 27, 2005
Wigan
www.freewebs.com
Sad to hear this place is getting 'junk mail' Brucie - on my various sites I've got a bit of that and made sure to delete straight away.

One of the worst for me was re: "A Dementia Cure" - you know... these quack herbal cures backed up with references that were obviously spurious (hey... apparently they were good for cancer, arthritis etc. etc. - you know the type of thing).

I got rid a.s.a.p. because I think that trash like that gives hope to a lot of people who then turn over hard earned cash in good faith and end up worse off! :mad:

Sorry to go off at a tangent - just thought I'd share that with you though.

N.

jenniferpa

Jun 27, 2006
do you see that little red ! mark in the top corner? Go to the post in question and pres that (although I just have).

I think perhaps TP is going to have to go to a monitored application system - i.e. you can't post until you've been approved. Alternatively they need moderators 24/7

Jennifer

Brucie

Jan 31, 2004
near London
How do I report it?
yes, Jennifer is correct, but also - in a message such as yours, just include the url [web address] of the thread on TP.

I think perhaps TP is going to have to go to a monitored application system
we have a halfway stage at present that catches most.

Brucie

Jan 31, 2004
near London
I've removed the one in question; I'd been awaiting their first post and could not act until they were registered.

Main problem as Jennifer implies is that these people - mostly US in origin [so they say, at least] post their trash when we folks are asleep.

jenniferpa

Jun 27, 2006
Have you (or AS, rather) investigated a "first post needs to be approved" system?

Jennifer

Brucie

Jan 31, 2004
near London
Hi Jennifer

it is only the past week or so the problem has suddenly accelerated.

We are suggesting that AS considers options as we moderators are volunteers, and carers as well.

noelphobic

Feb 24, 2006
Liverpool
jenniferpa said:
Have you (or AS, rather) investigated a "first post needs to be approved" system?

Jennifer

I can see how that could need to happen but that would also be very sad. Sometimes people come here (me included) when they are feeling really low and are lucky enough for someone to be online who can respond instantly. They can't necessarily solve the problem (there is no cure for dementia after all!) but just knowing that someone is there can help immensely. I assume that if post had to be approved first then there would be a delay in it being posted and therefore in anyone being able to respond.

Or do you mean that their very first post would need to be approved? In that case I would think it would be very easy to get round by inventing a story about dementia which would be even worse than what they're doing now. At least we know straight away what they're here for!

Just my opinion.

jenniferpa

Jun 27, 2006
No, I meant the very first post. I very much doubt that the vast majority of these sort of scum would go to the trouble of making up a story - the aim of this game is to hit as many sites as possible in as short a time as possible.

I'm glad to hear there are moderators 24/7. I'll just continue to report the posts as I see them - I often do see them first as I'm 5 hours benind most of you (sometimes, in more ways than one)!

Jennifer

noelphobic

Feb 24, 2006
Liverpool
jenniferpa said:
I'll just continue to report the posts as I see them - I often do see them first as I'm 5 hours benind most of you (sometimes, in more ways than one)!

Jennifer

That made me smile! Sometimes I think I'm about a week behind most people, in some kind of time warp!

What part of the US are you in? I'd forgotten?

I got terribly confused this summer (doesn't take much) when my son was going to Spain on holiday. The guidebooks were telling me that the time differed from the UK by 2 hours when it was actually a difference from Greenwich Meantime and the UK itself is 1 hour different from that in the summer. My head really hurt over that one. Then someone on a travel forum tried to tell me it was me who was wrong as the guidebooks were quoting it correctly.

I also went from New York to Toronto on holiday a couple of years ago and got really worked up in case I mixed the 1 hour time difference up and missed a flight. I didn't - just spent 6 hours in the airport between flights - talk about going from one extreme to the other :eek:

jenniferpa

Jun 27, 2006
I'm in Pennsylvania (actually in the suburbs of Pittsburgh)

If I'm only 5 hours behind, I think I'm doing pretty well - as you say, a week is more like it. Re long layover in airports - I'd much rather do that than the alternative. On my last 3 flights to the UK I've missed my scheduled transatlantic flight due to delays in Pittsburgh, and ended up somewhere totally unplanned, without my luggage. Last time, it took over a week to catch up to me!. I'm coming back over in October, but this time I've managed to schedule a 3 hour layover - hopefully that will be enough.

Jennifer

jenniferpa

Jun 27, 2006
Yes - normally Pittsburgh to Philadelphia, then Philly to Manchester. For a while there, there was first a direct BA flight, and then a direct USAIR flight, but now it's fly to a hub, then get another plane.

Funnily enough, after the last time, I swore that I would only travel with carry-on, and left a case at my Mother's with clothes etc. However, the recent security issues has impacted this plan, so I'll probably have to check luggage anyway.

I think the appropriate expression to descibe me is "a day late and a dollar short"

Jennifer

Amy

Jan 4, 2006
Hiya Jennifer,
I think as currently all the Moderators are UK based, there is a time slot when there is little cover - (unless one of us is having a sleepless night) - and that's when the little devils appear!! I know that Bruce gets on their case very rapidly, and is minimising their impact - we are all doing our best, just keep reporting them as they appear, and lets all treat them with the contempt they deserve.
Love Helen

Margarita

Feb 17, 2006
london
I reg with a web site that would only let you login in without a legit ISP I think they are call that . They would not let you use yahoo or Hotmail had to be I suppose with the person that is providing you with your internet connection. They did that because if they banned you they could not log in with a different Email they know who you are.

My be Bruce understand what I mean? If so could TP not do that so then you can track who is doing it. or stop it keep happening ?
Or would the program cost to much

Lila13

Feb 24, 2006
Hope she goes on letting you leave a case of clothes in her place!

Lila

jenniferpa said:
Funnily enough, after the last time, I swore that I would only travel with carry-on, and left a case at my Mother's with clothes etc.

Jennifer

noelphobic

Feb 24, 2006
Liverpool
Margarita said:
I reg with a web site that would only let you login in without a legit ISP I think they are call that . They would not let you use yahoo or Hotmail had to be I suppose with the person that is providing you with your internet connection. They did that because if they banned you they could not log in with a different Email they know who you are.

My be Bruce understand what I mean? If so could TP not do that so then you can track who is doing it. or stop it keep happening ?
Or would the program cost to much

Well it would be one way of getting rid of me! I have a yahoo and a hotmail email address and never use anything else, apart from my work one but I can't access the internet from work, even supposing I had the time, which I don't!

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Caroline124