We still have some fun

davidw

Dec 28, 2005
swansea,uk
Jenny ( diagnosed 3 years ago at age 56 with AD) and I have just laughed ourselves silly. We have just bought a gazebo and decided to erect it together for the first time.Kind neighbours offered to help but we declined because we were enjoying the challenge. It took about an hour but we had a great time and if the man in the moon was looking down he would have wrong guessed who had the illness.

We have some tough days like everyone else but every now and again we have some slapstick fun like today that lifts the spirits for a while.

I am thinking of suggesting Gazebo erecting as an Olympic Sport

Grannie G

Volunteer Moderator
Apr 3, 2006
Kent
davidw said:

.......or Occupational Therapy.;)

Such a lovely post David. Nice to hear of fun for a change instead of tears.

Love xx

Amy

Jan 4, 2006
Wish I had been there to watch David!! Thank you for your post. I am sure that there must have been a massive demand for gazebos this summer - nearly every pub that you go to seems to have one in the beer garden now!!
I am sure that you will continue to have many more days of slapstick fun.
Love Helen

jilljay

May 22, 2005
Birmingham
We have laughs too

:) My daughter ,who has L/D and moderate dementia,has caused huge laughs recently, A large piece of uncooked beef disapeared and was found on her sideboard,three pieces of steak walked too.found on the same sideboard, but the biggest laugh was a visit by the head of the carers unit ,(who i had prepared a lunch for) Lovely mix of sandwiches etc . As she went to take one, my daughter appeared,whipped THE LOT and put them on HER Table in HER room!!:eek:
We also find parts of salads tastefully placed around the house!!
Though the problems are there ,she gives us many laughs!
We did retrieve the sandwiches ,lol. ;)

DeborahBlythe

Dec 1, 2006
They fly too!

davidw said:
Jenny ( diagnosed 3 years ago at age 56 with AD) and I have just laughed ourselves silly. We have just bought a gazebo and decided to erect it together for the first time.Kind neighbours offered to help but we declined because we were enjoying the challenge. It took about an hour but we had a great time and if the man in the moon was looking down he would have wrong guessed who had the illness.

We have some tough days like everyone else but every now and again we have some slapstick fun like today that lifts the spirits for a while.

My next door neighbour, a bit aloof, erected a gazebo in her garden last year. The wind caught it one day and it ended up in my garden upside down! Great fun being gracious to her as she had to come and ask permission to retrieve it. :)

KenC

Mar 24, 2006
Co Durham
I think I have found myself laughing at things in the last two years, where I would never have done before. I think when this diagnosis kicks in we see things in a different perspective. There is a very serious side to this illness which I can fully appreciate, but like many others I have found it a distraction if I can still see the funny side of things. My wife has always said that I had a warped sense of humour and I think it has kept me going. But as David has said there are occassions when something simple can take a life time to do and it will either make you cry or laugh your self silly.

Best Wishes

Ken