We started this journey together and are now ending it together.

Lightspeed

Feb 16, 2015
New poster here but started the alzheimers journey a little over 5 years ago with my mum who was diagnosed at the young age of 57.

As I write this post I am at the bedside of my 62yo mum holding her hand as this challenging journey nears its end. I have said my goodbyes, kissed her, told her how much I love her and how sorry I am for all of the lows experienced over the past 5 years.

I have shed many tears and now appear to be at peace with the invevitable passing of my beautiful mum.

As a 33yo only child and a mum with no additional family we have walked this journey together from start to finish. As I watch and listen to mums laboured breathing, touch her mottled cool skin and stroke her forehead in comfort I know that this is the unfortunate end to a devastating illness that I would wish on no other.

In the weeks to follow I hope that I can begin to share my experiences to help others but for now I wanted to capture this unique life changing moment.

Love you mum.

lin1

Jan 14, 2010
East Kent
Hello Lightspeed.

I am sorry to hear about your Mum and sincerely hope that your Dear mum's passing is as peaceful as you wish for, I also hope your Mum is receiving good palliative care .

You are most welcome to share on here. I found TP a great help during the difficult times I hope you find the same.

Last edited:

Kevinl

Aug 24, 2013
Salford
Nice first post Lightspeed, I can really identify with it my wife was diagnosed about 4-5 years ago and will be 62 next week.
Unlike your Mum my wife has progressed much slower so we still get to do lots of things together still, please keep sharing.
K

Lindy50

Dec 11, 2013
Cotswolds
Hello Ligtspeed and welcome to TP :)

I am sorry to hear that you and your mum have had such a difficult journey, and at such an early age for you both. Your love shines from your post and I am sure your mum has been aware of the depth of your feelings, throughout the inevitable highs and lows.

If as you say, your mum's passing is now expected, I hope it is as peaceful as possible.

Take care of yourself Lightspeed :)

Lindy xx

Necion

Sep 26, 2010
Aberdeenshire,Scotland
Hello Lightspeed,

My heart goes out to you this morning.
It is a very precious time you are sharing with your dear mum, and you are certainly bringing her comfort right to the end.

Words are no comfort just now, but needed to let you know my thoughts are with you both.

Sending love and strength,

lots of love, Necion. xx

LYN T

Aug 30, 2012
Brixham Devon
Hi Lightspeed-welcome to TP.

You are doing/have done an absolutely brilliant job in supporting your Mum. It's hard isn't it to watch a loved one slip away-especially at such a young age. I hope your Mum's passing is calm and pain free. Keep talking to her, make sure she has all she needs, and also look after yourself. It's a strange time for you. Your Mum bought you into the world and now you are waiting for her to leave. Very, very sad. I wish you strength.

Love

Lyn T XX

kingybell

Feb 3, 2015
Huge hugs, to you and your mum. You should be very proud of yourself that you have survived this terrible journey thus far. Your story resonates with me as I have just had my mum in law diagnosed aged 56 and I can see her getting worse month on month.

Your mum is so lucky to have you share this very sad journey.

geum123

May 20, 2009
Thinking of you and your Mum, Lightspeed.
Your love for her shines out through your post,
and I'm sure she will know you are by her side.

Lightspeed

Feb 16, 2015
Thank you all.

My dear mum passed away today at 3pm. It was peaceful and without pain with me and my wife at her side holding her hand and comforting her.

It was exactly how I would have wished.

I feel empty at the moment as its been such a long and testing journey.

I will take some time to reflect and come back to share my experience to help others.

Love you mum.

ellejay

Jan 28, 2011
Essex
Lightspeed, please accept my condolences x. I am so glad that you and your wife were with your mum, it will bring you comfort as you go forward.

Take care

Lin x

Necion

Sep 26, 2010
Aberdeenshire,Scotland
Hello Lightspeed,

Sincere sympathy at this sad time.

It doesn't seem real, does it, but I'm glad for you all that your mum's passing was peaceful, and you and your wife had the honour of being with her right to the end.

Be kind to yourselves, take things easy for now.

lots of love,
Necion.xx

Lindy50

Dec 11, 2013
Cotswolds
I'm so sorry for your loss, Lightspeed, but pleased that you were able to be with your mum, and that her passing was peaceful.

Please accept my condolences.

Wishing you peace and strength :)

Lindy xx

LYN T

Aug 30, 2012
Brixham Devon
Lightspeed, in amongst the understandable sadness I hope you get some comfort in knowing your dear Mum passed without pain and in peace. Find your own peace now knowing that you did all that you could.

Wishing you strength

Lyn T XX

WIFE

May 23, 2014
WEST SUSSEX
So sorry to read of your loss Lightspeed - Mothers are such very special people. At least she is peaceful now and away from the confusion and sadness of dementia. Now take time for your family and you. Loving thoughts WIFE

Last edited: