We have been on a long journey RIP dad

superstar

Oct 10, 2013
My dad started with the first signs of memory loss when he was 70, Mum and Dad had a static caravan, but while heading back home on the motorway he suddenly forgot his route home, he decided to pack driving in, When we mentioned it to the doctor he said it was his age, Years after things was getting worse, he was eventually diagnosed with Alzheimer's, along the way dad became very irritated, I live on the same street as my parents, so I would help mum as much as I could, After a long spell of trying to cope ourselves it was time to speak to our GP, we was determined to keep dad at home no matter how hard it became, our GP gave us a drug called promazine to help calm his irritation, it had to be in liquid form as dad had never took tablets in his life,Mum and Dad was inseparable, I was very scared that it might affect her health as she has a few issues if her own, We managed to keep dad with us till he passed away on 1st Feb 2017, the last stages of dementia, was awful to see him deteriorate each day, he had two days assessment in hospital the week before xmas, he couldn't stand up anymore he was back home in Christmas Eve, on CHC care near the end he could only whisper but we couldn't make anything out what he was saying, It's extremely hard looking after someone with dementia, and there's no two people the same with the disease, we have been lucky to get through doing what we have done, but it's been a tough and long journey, but worth every minute to see my dad smiling now and then, god I do miss him, mums staying with us just now as her house seems empty x

alibali2016

Jan 24, 2017
When I first started reading your post I was interested in "the journey". But you are right, no two patients with dementia are the same so it really doesn't matter to me because I can't compare your Dad's journey to my Dad's journey. I can feel the love you have for your Dad and I'm sorry this has happened to your family. You have helped care for him for 10 years, so you should have no regrets - you have done everything you could to help make his last days the best they can be. Sending a big hug across the pond. Take care. xox

Babymare01

Apr 22, 2015
Sending you hugs and condolences. You are right it is a long journey but you stood by you Dad's - and your mums - side through it all.

xx

cragmaid

Oct 18, 2010
North East England
This is the strange stage when you are standing wondering....what shall I do next?
There is a Dad shaped hole in your lives and a pain in your heart. You, your Mum and all your family have my sympathy.... the pain eases in time, but the hole is always empty.xx

Toddleo

Oct 7, 2015
I can relate to everything you say Superstar.
It is just over a month since we lost our mum, and I am still a bit numb from that feeling of "what do I do now" The care of your loved one becomes all encompassing and a massive gap is left behind.
I look back and wonder how on earth we coped some times! It sounds like you loved and cared for your dad incredibly well, look after your self. x

superstar

Oct 10, 2013
When I first started reading your post I was interested in "the journey". But you are right, no two patients with dementia are the same so it really doesn't matter to me because I can't compare your Dad's journey to my Dad's journey. I can feel the love you have for your Dad and I'm sorry this has happened to your family. You have helped care for him for 10 years, so you should have no regrets - you have done everything you could to help make his last days the best they can be. Sending a big hug across the pond. Take care. xox

Thank you x

Sent from my iPhone using Talking Point

superstar

Oct 10, 2013
This is the strange stage when you are standing wondering....what shall I do next?
There is a Dad shaped hole in your lives and a pain in your heart. You, your Mum and all your family have my sympathy.... the pain eases in time, but the hole is always empty.xx

So true xx

Angie1996

May 15, 2016
Somerset
Wow your post was truly touching!! I lost my dad New Years Eve. Your post touched my heart. Caring for him for 10 years! He would have been so proud of you all x

superstar

Oct 10, 2013
Thanks angie1996 dad died on the 1st Feb and his brother died on the 3rd Feb we have just come back from my uncles funeral, Both brothers together now, I'm sure they have gone to a better place x