We did it! Dad now lives in our annexe.

Dimelza

May 28, 2013
What an emotional day, I've no emotions about the family home, too many sad memories over the last 30 years. But dad looked so happy then so bewildered. In the end no explanation was required at all, he just seemed to accept it. He really likes the annexe, as does everyone, it's warm and cosy and we've been in there with him all day until I left him around 830pm. His lights have just gone out so I'm guessing he's in bed (getting surveillance camera fitted!) and I'm exhausted.
I'm certain not every day will be like this but I hope he's as happy here as we are! ImageUploadedByTalking Point1442787425.209205.jpg

Sent from my iPhone using Talking Point

CollegeGirl

Jan 19, 2011
North East England
Oh well done, what a brilliant achievement! No wonder you're exhausted, I can just imagine what a long and tiring day you've had. I hope you all get a good night's sleep and don't forget to give us updates on how things are going. I hope things go well tomorrow and in the days to come, too xx

tryingmybest

May 22, 2015
Well he certainly looks well settled so you can now breathe a sigh of relief. I truly hope things keep good for as long as possible for you. I moved my mum in with me 6 months ago and haven't regretted it although it is hard work and I don't get any me time but I'm treasuring the time we have together. Good luck. Xxxxx

starryuk

Nov 8, 2012
(getting surveillance camera fitted!)

Good plan. A friend in a similar situation has had two fitted. One trained on her dad's bed and one on his chair. It is very reassuring for her. She has it set up so she can check on him via the internet if she is not in the house.

Hope it all goes well,your dad certainly looks very relaxed in his lovely new home.

jeany123

Mar 24, 2012
Durham
Well done, lovely photo your dad he has made himself at home already, I hope it works out great for you all xx

Essie

Feb 11, 2015
Well done Dimelza! My cousin did this about 6 months with my Auntie (who has AZ) and although, as you found, the day of the move was stressful and disorientating my Auntie settled into her new space quickly and now loves it. She was about to be put on antidepressants and used to ring my cousin 30-40 times a day but now no phone calls, no antidepressants and she eats and sleeps so much better so is much steadier on her feet and much more cheerful in herself so it has been a huge positive for everybody.

Fingers crossed your Dad's move will be just as good, he already looks very settled and happy :)

Margarita

Feb 17, 2006
london
Am sure you dad will be happy as you all our as its done with the feeling of love .

Well done so good of you , so heartfelt :)

Sianey

Mar 23, 2015
Yorkshire
What an emotional day, I've no emotions about the family home, too many sad memories over the last 30 years. But dad looked so happy then so bewildered. In the end no explanation was required at all, he just seemed to accept it. He really likes the annexe, as does everyone, it's warm and cosy and we've been in there with him all day until I left him around 830pm. His lights have just gone out so I'm guessing he's in bed (getting surveillance camera fitted!) and I'm exhausted.
I'm certain not every day will be like this but I hope he's as happy here as we are!View attachment 48001

Aww lucky Dad, that must be wonderful for him :)

Dimelza

May 28, 2013
Thank you all! He slept well and is just so accepting of it all. So strange!
My husband came home from work and went to see him and he showed him round saying what a lovely place it is. Bless!
Am so relieved, I was so frightened about how difficult it might be to do the actual move.
Have to say despite having the bare minimum in the annexe to get into trouble with he's already put away his crisps in the fridge and microwaved some rolls meant for lunches. ☺️
I'd love to have a look inside his mind!

Louby65

Mar 26, 2014
Scotland
Hi dimelza . What a wonderful thing you have done to ensure your dad receives the very best of care . It's going to be tough at times but the relief you get from knowing he is safe far outweighs that. My mum has needed 24/7 care for the past 18months and I look after her along with a personal assistant that I employ . Between us we make a bad situation good and my mum has never been happier or safer . Hopefully I will continue to look after her . I wish you and your dad the very best of luck as you explore this new chapter .

meme

Aug 29, 2011
London
Lovely picture of Dad looking very "at home" already...with his slippers near...wonderful