We can’t get her to keep clothes on ?

Puppylove

Mar 14, 2019
Hi,
I know I have posted about this before but it is becoming such an issue now I just wanted to ask what people thought and if anyone has any ideas.
My MIL is continually taking her clothes and pad off, we just can’t get her to keep them on. Both my hubby and I are finding it exhausting as it can be when there are visitors in the house/grandchildren/son-in-laws.
At the moment we take her back to her room and lay them out for her to put them on again. She is still capable of doing this eventually.
What do other people do? If we do it , it means dressing her up to 4/5 times a day alongside doing all her personal and toileting care.
Any thoughts appreciated

lemonbalm

May 21, 2018
That sounds exasperating. The only think I can think is that she's just too hot! It seems to have been happening since the hot weather. I suppose you have tried just simple cotton loose dress?

The only time my mum took clothes off was when she had, the devil's invention, a urine infection but I guess you've already checked that out.

Puppylove

Mar 14, 2019
That sounds exasperating. The only think I can think is that she's just too hot! It seems to have been happening since the hot weather. I suppose you have tried just simple cotton loose dress?

The only time my mum took clothes off was when she had, the devil's invention, a urine infection but I guess you've already checked that out.
Hi, @lemonbalm thanks not checked for infection but she has no other symptoms and we ensure she is hydrated and showered daily. Cotton dress might help especially if it does up at the back. Will see what I can find. She started doing it before it got warm. It’s just got worse....the annoying thing is she is always saying she is cold!! Her bedroom is the coolest room downstairs and a perfect temp even in this heat.
It’s just not nice for visitors or my hubby to see her half naked ?

lemonbalm

May 21, 2018
Good luck @Puppylove . The only way I cope with mum doing unusual things is to turn it into a cartoon in my head and it doesn't seem so bad. I'm afraid the Benny Hill theme tune comes to mind. She once apparently took her clothes off in the dining room and refused to come in from the care home's garden :oops:. I had no idea she could walk that far!

Louise7

Volunteer Host
Mar 25, 2016
It's a difficult situation for you @Puppylove but would changing to pull up pants rather than pads help?

Not sure if it will help but this fact sheet refers to loss of inhibitions, including removing clothes in public, and suggests that some common causes may be feeling too hot, needing to go to the toilet or being bored and wanting to talk to someone. It may be helpful to establish whether there is a pattern to your mum taking her clothes off, for example when did it start happening, does it happen at a certain time of the day, when she is on her own/unoccupied, when she needs the toilet etc? This might help in identifying whether there is a specific 'trigger' which is causing the change in her behaviour.

Puppylove

Mar 14, 2019
It's a difficult situation for you @Puppylove but would changing to pull up pants rather than pads help?

Not sure if it will help but this fact sheet refers to loss of inhibitions, including removing clothes in public, and suggests that some common causes may be feeling too hot, needing to go to the toilet or being bored and wanting to talk to someone. It may be helpful to establish whether there is a pattern to your mum taking her clothes off, for example when did it start happening, does it happen at a certain time of the day, when she is on her own/unoccupied, when she needs the toilet etc? This might help in identifying whether there is a specific 'trigger' which is causing the change in her behaviour.

Hi thanks, will have a look at that. She is using pull up pants not pads already.

Puppylove

Mar 14, 2019
Good luck @Puppylove . The only way I cope with mum doing unusual things is to turn it into a cartoon in my head and it doesn't seem so bad. I'm afraid the Benny Hill theme tune comes to mind. She once apparently took her clothes off in the dining room and refused to come in from the care home's garden :oops:. I had no idea she could walk that far!
?? I will give it a try,