Waterproof mattress protector

Vic10

Feb 18, 2017
Can any of you recommended a suitable waterproof mattress protector, please.
I am always too hot and although I know we need a suitable mattress protection for OH I fear
For myself that it will make me too sweaty and hot! Is there a compromise out there?

Batsue

Nov 4, 2014
Scotland
@Vic 10
I bought some mattress protectors for my mum that are terry towelling on the top with a waterproof layer underneath, so far they seems to be waterproof and they have been washed several times. They are Highliving Extra Deep Aloe Vera Treated Waterproof Terry Towel Mattress Protectors from Amazon, the double is £10.85.

nicksey

Apr 27, 2018
Some waterproof mattress protectors will make you hot and sweaty. It comes down to the type of waterproofing that is used, and how it is applied.

The waterproofing is in the form of a layer applied to the underside of the fabric. If that layer is a plastic or PVC it will make you sweat. To avoid this the waterproof layer needs to be breathable as well as waterproof. This sounds like an unlikely combination, but think of it like your own skin, it is both breathable and waterproof.

Search online for Allergon Breathable Waterproof Mattress Protectors. These use a polyurethane waterproof barrier. Polyurethane is breathable and waterproof. With this one the polyurethane is applied to the underside as a separate very fine film, this ensures that the backing is the same throughout.

Some mattress protectors apply the waterproofing in a liquid form that is pasted on to the underside. This method is less successful and leads to weak spots and thick spots and poor breathability, so always try to get one like the Allergon one mentioned above.

Jaded'n'faded

Jan 23, 2019
High Peak
I bought a cheap one several years ago just to... protect the mattress generally. No idea why I cared - the thing is years old and needs replacing anyway.

It lasted less than an hour - it was like trying to sleep on plastic bags and was incredibly noisy too.

Hayley JS

Feb 20, 2020
I bought a cheap one several years ago just to... protect the mattress generally. No idea why I cared - the thing is years old and needs replacing anyway.

It lasted less than an hour - it was like trying to sleep on plastic bags and was incredibly noisy too.
@Jaded'n'faded, I must get one, might drown out the sound of the dog snoring.....

Sleeping_gnome

Mar 19, 2021
There are waterproof mattress protectors from Victoria Linen that are made in the UK. Think they are breathable too so will help with comfort.

evelynmason

May 20, 2021
I have a pretty good experience of mattress protector, actually I didn't know about that before how it's necessary, I bought it last month through Cozy Earth discount codes I don't know why people don't have to need protector or any pad to save a mattress.

Bettysue

Mar 21, 2020
I’d recommend the kylie type protectors. I use them for my partner. Means they can be laundered daily without always having to wash the sheet and the mattress protector. Also only need to be on one side of the bed.

robertrichards4

Oct 4, 2021
I have a mattress protector but it's not waterproof. I don't want my huiband to lie directly onto a plastic sheet, just need to get a plastic protector sheet for this kind of mattress, it is pretty expensive, I want to keep it as fresh as I can.

Last edited:

canary

Feb 25, 2014
South coast
I have a mattress protector but it's not waterproof. I don't want my huiband to lie directly onto a plastic sheet, just need to get a plastic protector sheet for this kind of mattress, it is pretty expensive, I want to keep it as fresh as I can.
I have a waterproof mattress cover for OHs bed which has a fabric (terry) surface and the waterproof section extends down the sides. It is not like lying on a plastic sheet and doesnt rustle. I got it from a local nursing supplies shop, although I gather that dunelm does something similar. OH also has a kylie sheet on his bed which is a fabric, rewashable mat type of thing that absorbs an amazing amount of liquid.